“Won't make the same mistake again!”
Review of Lyon d'Or

Lyon d'Or
Ranked #230 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
“Won't make the same mistake again!”
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Noisy, dark and dirty room with a makeshift window looking out on the...corridor.

The club next door played thumping music until late and whenever someone walked past our room, the floorboards moved our bed which made me jump every time!

Wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Despite paying 5USD/pax with two other girl friends, we were contemplating to leave within 5min. The moment I dropped my bag and about to get dinner, a cockroach greeted me at the door to remind me the place was not as quiet as it seems. Got the receptionists to spray some insecticide and a centipede finally decided it was time to leave. It was quite creepy so we decided to move two beds side my side away from the walls which seemed infested with mould. There, one more dead cockroach. The walkway from entrance to the rooms were, honestly, stinky. Never smelt anything as bad I must admit. Even standing outside the guesthouse I was a bit paranoid. Ants on the floor aggressively bit me.

The location was not all that bad (though I did not even consider dining there) but if it was not for the huge celebration and non-vacancy elsewhere, we probably had left. Luckily it was only one night.

My tolerance is usually quite high but this place really didnt make it. It was sure skanky.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cattidudette

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My room was very noisy in the evening. The restaurant below was very expensive, the included breakfast basic but ok. The staff was more or less friendly, but I have seen better. Wifi connectivity is not very good.

This place may make sense if you're always out in the evening, otherwise avoid.

If you like the bar scene, the location is probably good (riverside).

• Stayed August 2012
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The first day the housekeeper tried to steal me 3 pairs of shoes but my boyfriend went to her and she gave me them back but the second day someone steal my stuff in the room (it was inside the wardrobe and locked) and when I asked them they said: "we don´t care"....The boss wont to speak with us! I know you can´t leave your value things in the room but were t-shirts, trousers,shoes...amazing!!!!!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mapirosas
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I had the misfortune to stay in this so called hotel for one night,due to an overbooking at a very nice hotel.The other reviewers are right, the staff are rude and arrogant,restaurant highway robbery,rooms too expensive for rubbish,$20 for broken aircon,very smelly fridge,television broken,shower broken,in fact the whole room broken,even a large hole in the wall where obviously some other unfortunate guest had vented his anger! Even worse forget sleeping there,all night disco adjoining the hotel makes sleeping impossible,what a horrendous noise,I would thoroughly recommend not stopping at the Lyon D'or!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Rooms now range from $15-20 and do not include breakfast. $15 rooms are tiny and windowless so we opted for the $20. The rooms are old, moderately clean although the fridge was filthy and wi-fi worked only intermitently. The main problem was the noise! The room shook until 4am as it was so loud and impossible to sleep with. We had booked for 3 nights but left after 1 due to the sleepless night we endured!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahS123
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I only stayed in Phnom Penh for one night so I didn't book the hotel in advance and want to try my luck. After I got down from the bus from Siem Reap, I walked for several blocks without finding a satisfying budget hotel. I felt a little tired and didn't want to waste time so I got into Lyon d'Or. It's acutally more like a bar than a hotel. The staff asked for $20 and I was barely able to negotiate it to $18 without breakfast (I left 5am the next morning). Room is small and door is shabby, but A/C works better than my expectation and the bathroom is quite clean. If you go around you can feel that people staying here are usually students on a budget or adventurers. There is a street nearby full of Western-style restaurants, but if you want to try real local food you have to walk several blocks.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple