“I like this hotel so much!”
Review of Discovery Hotel

Discovery Hotel
Ranked #108 of 270 Hotels in Phnom Penh
A TripAdvisor Member
“I like this hotel so much!”
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Totally good! Cheap price nice service, clean room, bed pillow very comfortable!!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
Singapore/Cambodia
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The staffs at the reception are friendly but inexperienced. Interestingly the hotel is somewhat in a scheme to provide job and training opportunities to the locals here which otherwise would not have the chance to do so. So i guess a little patience and graciousness will go far.

The rooms are all newly renovated and the quality of finish and cleaniness is pretty good for a 3 star hotel. Aircon is working with custom temperature control, LCD TV, bed with comfortable soft linen and pillows.

No carpet in the room so no stale or cigarrette-stained hotel room smell. Internet speed is pretty fast as well, wired and wireless available but I find wired more reliable in terms of speed. House keeping is quite prompt and rooms are keep pretty clean. but too bad no fitness centre or swimming pool, but they have a massage spa which I did not try. They also have meeting rooms and business center which is good for business travelers.

The location is very central to Phnom Penh City, just that during peak hours 5-6pm when the students from the school opposite the hotel are released, can be quite jammed up.

Unfortunately Tuk Tuk or Motor taxi are not familar with minor road names, they learn places by landmarks. So, not surprising if they do not know Queen hotel or St 124, but if you mention, restaurant 123, or ACE school, they should know. Best if you have the telephone number of the hotel on-hand and call the reception to talk to the drivers.

The chinese restaurant on the ground floor serves authentic hong kong home cook cuisine and they can serve the food up to the room but could not charge through the hotel bill, so have to pay on delivery.

Breakfast buffet though sufficient, is very basic and lack of variety. As I am a long term guest, it can get pretty boring after a while.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Vincent_Apple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Check-in was a breeze. I informed the staff who wrote down the information that my departure date was 25/10/10 and my flight was at 2130hrs.

Room was new and nice. Toilet was clean but had a mild smell. Water pressure for the shower was fairly good but a better shower head would be nicer.

Plasma TV with tons of channels of many languages.

Very good and cheap laundry service. Clothes came back smelling fresh and without the fabric softener perfume. Very well ironed clothes. 10/10.

Hotel charges for internet use. Free if you used it in the lobby. One pc only and seriously lacks privacy. Lobby can be stuffy if staff doesn't switch on the aircon.

Doorman is always smiling and ready to help you with giving directions to the tuk tuk's.

The room card key has to be activated everyday, sometimes twice a day. In my 6 night stay. I must have reactivated the card 10 times to enter my room. No apologies from the hotel about this inconvenience. It's not funny.

Beds are very comfortable. Slept very well.

Our room faced the main road. We had a nice little balcony. An ashtry outside indicated that smoking should be done outside. AT NIGHT. The hotel shines a few very bright lights to 'highlight' the building. This attracted alot of insects especially on the balcony ceiling and exterior sliding door. So keep the sliding door shut when you go out to the balcony for a smoke or the bugs and mosquitoes will enter the room.

I dislike hotels that do not provide free in room internet. This hotel is very pricey for it's standard/ location. US$50 a night. A wireless internet company provides wifi services. Luckily for me. They are located just across the street. For US$15. I got 24hrs of wifi with moderate signal and not too slow. I refuse to pay hotel wifi charges even if it cost the same as the clicknet hotspot vendor.

BREAKFAST - It came with the cost of the room or US$5 per person. You are given a choice of a set breakfast. 1. Western, fried ham omelette with 2 small slices of dragonfruit, 2 miserable slices of ordinary bread and a sachet of jam. - a glass of juice from a packet and a cup of very weak coffee that was as mild as tea. or a bowl of noodles, juice and coffee. I only had it once in my 6 night stay. Not worth waking up for if you asked me and the waiters were like on their first day on the job.

Hotel check out policy is 12 noon. My flight was 2130hrs. I asked the staff for a map and they gave me one from 2008 and i asked for directions to a nice shopping mall to burn time. They gave me directions to the most boring shopping mall called City Mall. I returned to the hotel at 3.30pm as i was bored. I started using the lobby internet. One of the hotel staff then told me that my transport to the airport was coming at 4pm! when i clearly told them that i wanted a 6pm pick up to the airport. Did they want to get rid of me? Is this Cambodian hospitality? When i questioned them, why am i asked to go to the airport at 4pm when my flight is 2130hrs? They couldn't answer me. They just kept silent and the only excuse was. Less traffic. The airport is 15 mins away. This is no way to treat a guest.

Oh. my travel buddy left a day earlier for Bangkok which was why i was alone on the last day.

I had no choice but to spend 5 hours sitting at the airport. 3 hours waiting for the airline counter to open and 2 hours before the flight which was thankfully, punctual.

By the way, the chinese restaurant next door (123 restaurant) which has nothing to do with the hotel but housed in the same building is very good. Their fried rice and their pork ribs with garlic is very good. 2 dishes and a nice cold beer US$11.00

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank m36705
Jervis Bay, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2009

We arrived in Phenom Penh without booking accommodaiton and just fluked upon The Queen Hotel. At USD$12 per night we thought it was value for money. We had an ensuite room and good locks on the doors so we were happy! Its not the most glamourous place I've stayed, but then like I said it was cheap! The guys on the desk were friendly however, and did help us with our bags up the stairs (no elevators that I was made aware of).

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — The street it was in was a little un-friendly
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple