Phnom Penh Hotel
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
US$67
US$194
Trip.com
US$250
US$244
All reviewspalm viewbig hotelswimming poolbusiness tripvery nice hoteltuk tukbuffet breakfastlate at nightphnomangkormotorbikewatriversidedollars
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Having superb hotel experiences throughou Vietnam and Cambodia, this hotel was a bit of a let down.
The bedside lighting controls (one side only) were uneccesarily confusing, so that I had to try all the switches with various lights going on and off until I found the correct combination. My wife, who had dropped of earlier, was unamused by the lights display!
A strange elevated shower unit was also host to a bewildering combination of controls, few of which seemed to function.
Seemed like the result of a decade old refurbishment, whic didn't enhance anything.
Overall, the levels of amenity and service were somewhat short of the norm for the region, although buffet breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David F
Reviewed 16 December 2012

As part of a charity bike ride from Vietnam to Cambodia, we stopped off at this outstanding, fantastically and unexpected ostentatious hotel. On arrival, tired and our strength sapped by the unrelenting heat, we trudged, in our cycling gear, into this luxurious haven. We immediately encountered hundreds of army and police personnel armed to the teeth. As we moved through the main doors, we traversed, under the light of a gargantuan chandelier, a security check. We all wondered what was going on. We got our room keys from the huge, dark wooden, reception desk area, manned by incredibly good-natured, professional staff, next to an equally massive and elegant looking dining room and headed for the elevator. Once again, we were accosted
by security who politely informed us to get off the red carpet! As it turns out, and, if this is any indicator as to the quality of this hotel,the Prime Minister of Cambodia was arriving shortly! Apparently, he intended to wait for Barak (Yes, POTUS) who was on his way as well! So, giddy with excitement, we lurched to our rooms. On my
floor, there was that understated luxury that seemed to envelope you in sophistication and class. I realized this slowly that this place was very, very special. I entered my immaculate room and immediately observed a massive bed and a great view overlooking the approach to the hotel. Elegant furniture, again with the dark wood theme plus the usual assortment of gadgetry made this tired rider feel very much at ease. I then entered the bathroom and it was simply jaw dropping. The shower/bath had a computer in it! Why? Well, to activate the water jets, effectively simulating a sort of jacuzzi/massage scenario. Just what the doctor ordered! Returning back to reception, we went into the main bar. the decor was low lights and comfortable chairs. We were served by the most amazingly courteous and helpful staff. The bar had a little stage on which a singer performed gently in the background and all the aches and pains of the day seemed to simply drift away. The next day, we had breakfast and the dining room was opulent in look and feel and they had every variety
of breakfast you could imagine. If you are staying in Phnom Penh and fancy a bit of serious luxury and some "dignitary spotting", managed by incredibly nice and professional people then you MUST go here. I know I will.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank s1edge
Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

Arrived here quite late in the evening so didn't get to use the pool as was only here for one night - stayed in a very nice room, slightly dated but that made it interesting - clean, nice bathroom - although the bath was small if you are tall like me, lovely lobby and great restaurant which serves not only good traditional food but club sandwich and chips if you've had enough of foreign food or suffered a dickie tummy! Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Br0wnOwl
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Alibi Guest house is centrally located just near the Palace & only a 10 minute walk to the Riverside & 240 street etc. The rooms are basic but offer everything that one requires (aircon,tv, bathroom) with a lovely courtyard to enjoy a meal and at the price, I think very good. The staff were warm & friendly & the owner 'Christian' was very helpful. I was able to leave some luggage here for 2 weeks which made my travelling to the coast a lot easier. I would not hesitate to stay here again if visiting Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: There are lots of stairs to the top floor so if that is a problem request a lower floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JenA6012
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This was the most expensive hotel we stayed at during our 3 week trip (most were $25-$35 per night, incl breakfast AND free wifi) Phnom Phen Hotel was $90. Wifi was extra, and worked only half the time, wanted $3.99 a minute to make a local call for me (and told me only after they had already connected the call), wouldn't call the airline for me without charge, wanted to charge me $6.00 for a dirty bath mat (um, not missing, just dirty) and the staff was very rude and presumptuous. Charged me $65 for a taxi ride and found our from taxi driver he would have only charged me $35. Would NOT recommend this hotel unless you wanted to be nickel and dimed to death! Oh, and the beds were hard as a rock and slid everywhere because they are on rollers.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends