“Luxury with social awareness”
Review of The Pavilion

The Pavilion
Ranked #10 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have never written a review before, despite accessing them all the time on Tripadvisor.....but after my stay at The Pavilion I just had too. I have been living and travelling in Sth East Asia for a long time and I have never been as impressed with a place as I have been The Pavilion. The setting is pure heaven, the staff professional and thoughtful, and the rooms have everything you could think of. To lay around the pool in that luscious garden during the day, drinking mango smoothies is divine. I'm amazed its not a 5 star rating.

But the thing that impressed me enormously is the obvious commitment the owners have to their staff and to improving their lifestyle. I inadvertently heard the owner in a meeting with some of his staff ( I had had a massage and was drinking my tea on a lounge bed) - and his dialogue was respectful, encouraging and positive. Then after lots of talks with staff, who spoke of their bosses encouragement and help in formulating their future plans - I cant think of a place I have stayed in that has a more ethical and worthwhile approach to their staff. The whole place feels well thought out, considerate to guests and staff, at the same time as providing pure comfort in a beautiful setting. I come to Cambodia often and will always stay here in the future. Just heavenly.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jane H

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Our one-night stay was way too short to enjoy the true benefits of a place like The Pavilion, but my wife and I did our best to indulge !

The vintage Jaguar transfer was a fun experience, the room, although smallish, was very clean and well appointed and the plunge pool and terrace are big enough to enjoy. The honeymoon set-up was lovely, as well as the in-room breakfast. Massage was very enjoyable (we did two each !), and reception staff is doing a great job while the others are efficient enough to show they truly care about their guests and workplace.

On the minus, food was so-so (but Phnom Penh is full of divine eateries), and the check-in procedure takes too long ! Can't you guys just make a copy of our passport while we fill in the info that's not on it ?

Other than that, I can't recommend enough about staying at this amazing villa-hotel and its lush garden. A true oasis when visiting the bustling Phnom Penh !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I booked my fiance and I into the private pool room for 6 nights in june and we loved it! I could have stayed in the hotel for the 6 days and not left the grounds. The staff were very friendly, especially the lady that served us breakfast each morning. Staff were also very helpful with booking tours. We thoroughly enjoyed each breakfast, a lunch and cocktails... unfortunately didn't get around to having dinner here. Our room was large and clean. Private pool was great for relaxing in after a long day. Great location... walked everywhere (although walking to the prison was longer then i planned but fiancee insisted!) and felt very safe. If our honeymoon is anything like this I will be very happy!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We spent five nights here and wished it could have been longer. Everything exceeded our expectations, from the atmospheric room to the very friendly and wonderfully helpful staff. The pool was much biggger than we had anticipated and the breakfasts were very suitable. The bathrooms were big, modern and very clean. The hot water ran freely.

Our room had a balcony overlooking the main pool, but was very private in its aspect. We were hardly aware of the other guests. The Pavillion is close to the centre of town and only 100 metres to 240 street, which had many attractions. Outside the gate were regular tuk-tuk drivers, who would take us anywhere in town for $2-3. They always asked for $3, we always offered $2. Negotiations were invariably good-natured.

Phnom Penh has some wonderful restaurants, including the Pavillion's sister restaurant, located at the Old Chinese House. This demonstrated the same style and flair as The Pavillion itself and was well worth a visit.

We could not have been happier with our stay at The Pavillion and would certainly want to stay there again, hopefully for longer next time.

1  Thank JohnMcGrathMI
Reviewed 20 July 2012

That's what I call a pretty room! Beautifully decorated and very spacious. The pool is beautiful and has plenty of seating to relax. This is all we needed after the Imprevu nightmare...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We spent 2 nights at The Pavilion and loved our stay. We had stayed at their sister hotel (Blue Lime) 2 years ago and had a wonderful stay but wanted to try something different this trip.

Our room was beautiful from the four poster bed covered in flowers to the lovely decorations. It was very comfortable with everything you could want. I think we had the best room as we had a balcony that looked over the pool and towards the palace. The hotel has lovely old French/Khmer architecture that has been restored and cared for in the best way ( I prefer hotels that say something about where you are rather than a high rise that could be anywhere in the world and this hotel definitely says you are in Cambodia).

But the real highlight was the staff. So helpful and genuinely friendly, especially the reception staff, nothing was too much trouble, everyone gives you a big smile and hello whenever they pass. I just wish we could have stayed longer….next trip we will definitely stay again.

1  Thank GeorgetteCanberra
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We arrived in the pouring rain, the staff brought out umbrellas and we all laughed as we waded thru ankle deep water into the office! The porters tried so hard to keep everything we had dry. Check in was simple and the staff all had smiles and kept asking if we were okay. While our room was on the small side (we had room 4), it was a lovely bed with flower buds on it. There wasn't a TV which was fine with us and the in room computer was most welcome. The Wi Fi was good and fast. We had our own patio right outside the door which was very cozy. We had to check out before the official start time for breakfast but the staff opened up early just for us and we had a good and very much appreciated continental breakfast. The pool area was a picturesque setting with trees and much greenery. This is a wonderful respite at the end of a busy day. Great staff!

1  Thank nriemen