“Stars for Anise Hotel”
Review of Anise Hotel

Anise Hotel
Ranked #28 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a short stint from May 27-29, 2014.

This was my first time in Cambodia, so my family and I were ecstatic that the hotel was wonderful. I had initially booked 2 standard rooms, one with an extra bed. The hotel was nice enough to upgrade one of the rooms for me. The rooms were comfortable with everything we needed: working a/c, running water for showering in our own bathroom. No elevators in the hotel so if you have a bad relationship with stairs, I'd request a room on the lower floors.

We loved the attached restaurant. The breakfasts were great and the 1 time we had dinner there was wonderful. We would sit outside for drinks and it was so serene, even though the patio is next to the street. There's a buffer of foliage and plants that make all the difference. The decor throughout the hotel was beautiful.

A huge perk was the complimentary laundry. When you're exploring in the heat and humidity, I find your clothes start to smell ripe real quick. It was a quick turn around for clothes as well: if you have your laundry out and picked up before 8am, it will come back same day. Loved the tropical scent it came back with. That lovely fragrance stood the test of time (and humidity) for a week if you didn't wear the clothes.

The staff was very helpful and attentive. They were very quick at replying to my emails for any questions and requests that I had. They were able to organize some drivers for me on short notice. The drivers they chose were wonderful and we used them for the rest of our short stay.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. The location was great – not too busy and lots of stuff a short walk away. Lots of restaurants and shops speckled in every direction.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jennyonvacation

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Anise Hotel is beautiful. Sitting out on the terrace for breakfast every morning or for a drink in the evening is a pleasure. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful - they make the hotel! Great location, free laundry, good food and clean, comfy rooms. Win!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jacwack
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had a great time staying at Anise - the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was lovely on the verandah. The location was convenient with plenty of restaurants nearby and an ATM on the same street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

So, I'm a person that loves meeting local people and enjoying the local life. The Anise Hotel is the perfect space for that. The staff is amazing and it feels like home. The hotel is surrounded on the main floor by a veranda that serves as restaurant, happy hour spot, and much more. I've met good friends here and I've gotten to know Phnom Penh even better because of the incredible helpful staff. A wonderful place to feel like a local but have the comforts of home. I can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so that can be a problem for some.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James N
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have enjoyed my stay at the Anise (May 2014), good hotel, nice staff and good restaurant. The suite was nice, spatious and functional, although the bathroom was somewhat dated and the balcony door did not shut properly (room 203). The restaurant was quite good but dessert was a little dry. Location of the hotel is a little far from main attractions in Phnom Penh. Laundry was included in bed and breakfast package. No elevators to the floors. À-la-carte breakfast menu was nice, with great home-made juices. Tough beds and pillows. Overall, good value for a quick stay in Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: My balcony opened to the backyard alley which was not very inviting. You may wish to verify your vie...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AniseHotel, Owner at Anise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear V C,

On behalf of the Anise Hotel management and staff, we wish to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. While regular maintenance check is performed on a daily basis, there is unfortunately sometimes something that goes unnoticed by our staff until our guests bring it to our attention. So your comments are very valuable. The door to the balcony that was a bit difficult to close has now been fixed. Recipes for the desserts have also been reviewed with our chief to ensure that the quality of our food remains consistent.

Some visitors consider the area on and around the riverside to be the main attraction in Phnom Penh. But they also have to contend with constant noise, touts and many seedy hostess bars on the side streets leading to the riverfront. If that is what guests wish to experience, that would be the place to be, indeed. The Anise Hotel is located near the Independence Monument, which after the riverfront, would be considered one of the central locations in Phnom Penh. Around and within a walking distance from the hotel, guests will find a plethora of restaurants, bars, spas, boutique hotels, stores, shopping centers, a living area for expatriates and locals that is a better and more authentic reflection of the city itself.

Likewise, coming from North America, our streets might look like alleys to you, but they are streets (street 278 and 57) brimming with real city life, which is what all of the guests staying at the Anise Hotel enjoy--the experience of a real Asian city life, but without the unwanted touts and seediness that come along with some aspects of tourism in Asia.

Once again, we thank you for your candid review of our hotel and we hope to be able to host you again upon your next trip to Phnom Penh.

All the best,
The Anise Hotel management and staff

Reviewed 18 May 2014

we only stayed 1 night before heading off to the Mekong, but enjoyed sipping drinks and also having a relaxed breakfast on the terrace while watching the world go by. The staff were very helpful with our ongoing travel arrangements. The room was smaller and older than other hotels we stayed in but also cheaper, clean, quiet and perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've just returned home to the Anise Hotel, following a five day break away from Phnom Penh. For me, the best part of leaving Phnom Penh is always coming home - home to the Anise family. The caring and warmth of the highly professional hotel and restaurant staff (still led by the wonderful Sokheng) continues to impress me, every day.

The Anise Hotel gives its long stay guests not only a wonderful 'home away from home', but a beautiful home.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business