Khmeroyal Hotel
Trip.com
The Kabiki(Phnom Penh)
US$54
  • Breakfast included
La Rose Suites(Phnom Penh)
US$161
US$30
US$28
US$23
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslocal transportationriverside viewmekong riverroom keypalacepp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Khmeroyal is a budget friendly hotel in a central location, right besides the Royal Palace and a 5 minute walk to the Phnom Penh's main strip of tourist bars/restaurants.

Staff is definitely not as friendly as you would expect from a developing asian country, not very helpful unless they are making a few extra cash out of you (eg. always trying to sell tours). Hot water was not very hot at peak time (8pm) and the rooms could do with a refurbishment, but the rooms are huge and for the price (22euro / night) I'd say good value for money.

Tuk-tuk from the hotel to anywhere within 5 minutes should not cost more than 1 usd, if the driver doesn't agree just move on to the next one.

Room Tip: Stayed end December and there was construction work going on behind the hotel every morning from 8am - annoying!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nik G
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Dear fellow travelers, this hotel is located 500 meters from the Royal Palace and located at the main boulevard with several nice bars (check the rooftops of the hotels!) and restaurants. The rooms are good, not spectacular. Our room (#113) had a window but the view was blocked due to construction at the neighbors. We did not lose sleep over that by the way. Breakfast was okay, not spectacular. We have seen better 3 star hotels than this one but he location makes up for a lot.
I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This review might be a bit unfair but at the time of visiting (Christmas 2013) they were tearing down the neighbouring building by hand with sledgehammers. Therefore if you have a room facing the construction work it might be very very noisy. Room was big and had everything I needed. WIFI is good and there are also computers to use for free. Breakfast is very basic. Staff is polite and nice. Location is great. Beware the attacking mosquitos at the restaurant at evenings. Wear long sleeve pants to be safe :-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Khmeroyal, Owner at Khmeroyal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Customers,

This is good to let people know.
They were tearing down the neighbouring building by hand with sledgehammers, This is true.
But this construction is done after new year, 2014.

Thank you for commend, have a nice day.
Best regards,

Mr. Yourin Ngim

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at the ned of September 2013 and then for another night after time in Siem Reap. The place is in a fantastic location right on the waterfront and just down the road from the King's Palace and close to all the action of Phnom Penh waterfront area. The staff here are fantastic and can honestly say I feel I made new friends with a number of them. They were genuinely friendly.

My room was large and comfortable with a view of the river. The room has an old fashioned teak feel about it and was clean and comfortable. The downstairs area sells beer and has great food.

The Khmer Royal also has a "sister" hotel in Siem Reap, The Neak Pean, and although I had booked somewhere else for my time in Siem Reap I felt so comfortable at the Khmer Royal I cancelled that booking and booked and paid for the Neak Pean through the Khmer Royal. With my booking I received free bus fare from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, transfer to the bus station at Phnom Penh and had someone from the Neak Pean waiting for my at the other end to transfer me to the Neak Pean.

During the first 3 nights the section of the road to the palace including the hotel was barricaded off to traffic and pedestrians apart from those who had a reason to be in that part of the street due to protests against the re-elected government - protesters wanted to take a letter to the king asking him not to convene there new parliament due to allegations of fraud in the elections. Protests were peaceful and I spent many an afternoon down t the bar on the street observing the protestors and police at the barricades - so my little section of the waterfront was very quiet at the time. When I came back for my last night in Cambodia and Phnom Penh the road had been opened and the area was bustling and humming with people ad traffic again.

I loved my time in Cambodia and Phnom Penh and my time at the Khmer Royal. When I go to Phnom Penh again I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Any room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gregzak
Reviewed 15 December 2013

A hotel in a great location on the riverfront but is a bit tired and needing some renovation, particularly the bathrooms.if you get a riverview room it is a great view but a bit noisier, but the rooms on the third floor are better and quieter. The staff are great and work such long hours and really multi-task, but we noted when the owner was there, they looked quite stressed and seemed to manage better when he wasn't there. Breakfast was ok and the restaurant food average but seemed more expensive than restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: River view rooms have a great view but do have traffic noise. The third floor is a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple