Khmeroyal Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Diamond Palace II(Phnom Penh)
Noura Motel(Phnom Penh)
View Hotel
Helen Motel & Pub(Phnom Penh)
  • Restaurant
FCC Phnom Penh(Phnom Penh)
Cozyna Hotel(Phnom Penh)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslocal transportationriverside viewmekong riverroom keypalacepp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We stayed here on 22nd December (our 1st night upon landing into Cambodia) and this was the start of our 2 week expedition through the "Heart of Cambodia" with Explore. The room was good although a bit tired in the bathroom but still all we wanted to do was have a shower after 18 hours of travelling and then try to get some sleep! Breakfast was good the next morning with small waffles (hmm yummy with the maple syrup!) coffee and fruit of pineapples and papayas.

We then came back to this same hotel on 26th December for 1 night. Againn no problems with hotel and the staff were always very friendly. The room we had was slightly better as the bathroom had been done up more recently.

I would stay here again as the location is great for the F.C.C. bar as well as the Friends restaurant that we went to on Boxing Day!

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 23 December 2008

I agree masively with the other reviews.... This hotel is awful. Do not stay here. We went to this hotel after looking at many others, we were hot bothered and this was the last place we looked at...

We paid for 2 nights in full (Now I know why!) We apparently had the delux room with two double beds.

The hotel felt unsafe, I could not tell you exact reasons but it just didn't feel right. The hotel was devoid of guests, other than western men and local girls which makes for an unpleasant stay.

When we got to our room with our bags up 3 flights of stairs as the lift was broken, no help given from the odd staff either. I didn't want to stay at the hotel but it was already late. We stayed the night and checked out in the morning. We funnily enough didn't get a refund for the night we weren't staying, the staff laughed when we asked.... I was so happy to leave and I hope that I never have to go back....ever...

Do not stay here and waste your money.... it would be better to drive round on a Tuk Tuk all night!

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Khmeroyal, Owner at Khmeroyal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Reply to Tripadvisor.com on December 23, 2008 by Owner
“Run........”

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding all problems with Khmeroyal Hotel from the previous management. I am certainly disappointed for your stay was not the best that it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of and its team for your stay before my new managements with international standard procedure would be to offer an upgraded refurbishment of our guest rooms is well done as changed all new lamps, new curtains and our lobby replaced 4 new computers with high speed internet and Wi-Fi in the lobby with AC., bar and Restaurant always clean. We have taken steps to insure all rooms are up to our high standards inspection before check in customer including clean and secured. For seeing the change please Click, http://www.khmeroyal.blogspot.com/2013/09/responded-to-tripadvisor-guests.html

Reviewed 1 December 2008

I would like to give a review about my stay at this hotel, but that will be impossible. I checked into the hotel, but within 60 minutes had eaten the money for a half-day stay, checked out, and went running down the street for somewhere...anywhere... else to stay.

Why did I sacrifice carefully budgeted vacation money to flee? There were a few reasons:

1) Although I was promised a pickup at the boat dock, nobody was there and I had to pay for a cab.

2) The promised lift was broken, something important when one's wife has trouble on stairs.

3) The credit card machine was supposedly broken, so I would have had to have re-budgeted my cash.

4) The room was very dirty. The walls had stains, the bedding was filthy, and a cute little roach inhabited the sink drain. Before fleeing we asked to see other rooms, and they were all in similar states of disrepair. This place needs more than fresh paint and new linens. It needs to be rebuilt from the carpet to the ceiling.

5) The place just felt unsafe. I cannot point to specefic details, but I think we have all had that feeling. Staff that sort of lurked, easy roaming access for strangers, older Western men with young Asian women sitting in dark corners in the lobby. Just sort of a creepy place.

6) This I found out after the fact from a driver the next day, but the manager makes it impossible for others to work with the guests. Apparently the owner (an ex-pat Cambodian living in the States) likes to keep all money for himself. He keeps a fleet of Tuk-Tuks and drivers on staff, and then over-charges for their services (I was quoted $80 for a day's driver to S-21 and the Killing fields, teh same trip for which I later paid $40 at another hotel). The normal practice for a hotel in Cambodia is for local drivers to link up with hotel guests, allowing local people to share in some of the economic benefits of tourism. Not here, apparently. This owner scares his guests with bad stories about the city and keeps the profit all to himself. At the expense of local business. This is fine if a service is being provided to guests, but in this case, guests are ripped off and the local economy suffers.

I know staying in places like Cambodia requires an assumption that not all lodging will be up to Western standards. But this place had more problems than just that. There are other nice places in the city. I ended up just a block down the street at a place called the Cozyana. Same location, but half the price and much nicer place.

But was it all bad? The location of this place is really good. Right on the river, steps from the main tourist locations of the city. I cannot take that away from the hotel. The rooms and bathrooms were large (which was really just more to be disgusted with). But there are better places with the same location and lower prices.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple

Reply to Tripadvisor.com on December 1, 2008 by Owner
“Run Away...Far Away”

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding all problems with Khmeroyal Hotel from the previous management. I am certainly disappointed for your stay was not the best that it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of and its team for your stay before my new managements with international standard procedure would be to offer an upgraded refurbishment of our guest rooms is well done.
I can help explain this commend “Run Away...Far Away”
1- Mostly arrival schedule of boat company always 1 or 2 hours before or late of their schedule, but airline always on time.
2- Now, the lift is working good.
3- This is bank problem, for now my Visa or Master card always work good in 24 hours.
4- All my 60 rooms always clean, please click on www.khmeroyalhotel.com
5- Under my new management, we provide access to the register customer only, for the customer of the guest has to wait at lobby until the guest come down to meet and desire.
6- Because of problems on number 5, we not allow outside drivers or Tuk Tuk come in to the hotel without the notice of approval from guests. The cost of $80 or $40 like this customer said is not true, lier.
Please find out the true, click on http://khmerroyalhotel.com/?page=detail&ctype=article&id=304&lg=en
- This all i can help to answer this reviews.
And we have taken steps to insure all rooms are up to our high standards inspection before check in customer including clean and secured. For seeing the change please Click, www.khmeroyalhotel.com

Reviewed 29 November 2008

We just came back from our trip to Vietnam and Cambodia, this is by far the worst hotel we stayed at. The location is great, on waterways and a few minutes walk to the Royal Palace but the hotel is obviously lack of maintenance and filthy. The staff is polite but lazy, they all stood around and smiled when you walked by while they could be cleaning the heavy dust build-up everywhere. We had breakfast on the rooftop restaurant, the dishes are permenantely set up in the open, so by the time you picked up a plate, wiped it with a kleenex and it was black! They displayed all the food in chauffing dish with lids open, no hot water in the base and no candle lit to keep food warm!

Unfortunately we didn't read the review when we booked with the agent because all the other hotels they booked were good. When I try to write this review, shockingly I read another review posted in 2007 about blood stain on bed sheet, they are still using that bed sheet, it was in our room!! The bath mat is so dirty looking I wouldn't even want to use that to mop the floor.

They have a sign of 1 hr free internet use if you have lunch or dinner at their restaurant. We had dinner there the first night we arrived because we were just too tired. The next morning we went to use the internet for 1/2 hour and they charged us because the meal was on yesterday!!

We wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody, it is just filthy.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2008

I got a taxi from the airport, and as is usual, they tried to sell me a hotel.
This was my 3rd trip to Phnom Penh, and being quiet season, I didn't worry about pre-booking.
The driver took me to Royal star, and a manager called Sambath gave me a good rate, and went out of the way to take care of me.

The rooms were old, but the view breathtaking overlooking the river and Sisowath Quay.
I ended up booking a driver, a hotel in Siem Reap and all other stuff in the hotel's hands.
The driver was a great guy, and so helpful and thoughtful.
The Siem Reap hotel they gave me at $45 a night was just awesome - a wooden place with balcony, pool and lovely staff also
The girl there on reception was really sweet, and gave a small 1000 riel note folded into a heart to say thank you for staying.
They organised a sunset river tour which was so good, I repeated it the following morning.

I needed a Cambodian sim, and Sombath and Bond organised it for me within 20 minutes, driving to the market and delivering it back to me (no cost except for cost of sim)

They went out of their way to ensure my safety, and to make sure I didn't get ripped off.
I went back a week later, and went straight to them
Their sister property at the other end of the river is only $30 a night, but views and location not as good.

The bed was comfy, and the rooftop for breakfast is a great place to start the day - although food is average.
A fresh omelette, a couple of bits of toast, some fruit and some coffee, so it won't win a michelin star anytime soon, but hey - you don't want to walk into Phnom Penh stuffed like a sumo wrestler anyway.

The staff were all awesome.
Ordering room service is a bit of a Monty Python experience, with communication issue.
So a call to room service quoting the number on the menu normally results in someone coming up to the room to look at the menu.
The food inhouse is not so good, so eat out. Plenty of great places to eat in PP.
The street food is great too.

I trust this hotel, and Sombath particularly, and will return.
the value for money, location and attitude of staff and management is a rare combination.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo

Reply to Tripadvisor.com on June 28, 2008 by Owner
“Great staff, price and location”

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on Khmeroyal Hotel from the previous management. I would like to inform to all guest who come to Phnom Penh:
1- We offer no commission Fee to Airport taxis, please email for free pick up, Please email: khmeroyalhotle@yahoo.co.uk or call 015 510 466/ 010 816 418/ 011 353 634 when you at Phnom Penh airport.
2- Mostly my reservation customers who taxi with airport, guests always tells Khmeroyal Hotel that " Airport Taxi said Khmeroyal Hotel is closed" or they drive to different hotels for commission Fees and talked bad about our hotel.
3- To see Khmeroyal hotel, click www.khmeroyalhotel.com

Thank you for review comment.