“Complete crap”
Review of Royal Guest House

Royal Guest House
Ranked #191 of 276 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 10 April 2014

One of the worst I've stayed in, in Asia. Paid $20 a night walk in... higher than others it seems. For $15 it would have been ok if it was just for the lack of cleanliness ie you don't expect much for $15. It was the small things that got me though. No soap, broken fridge, no shower curtain, no toilet paper, and some other small things which have escaped me now. The worst thing was a maintenance guy banging on my door waking me up, I yelled 'no thank you' thinking it was room service, but he kept banging. Finally answered the door dazed and in my underwear and he wanted to come change the 'bum gun'. I asked if it had to be done now and he said yes, again, still dazed and wanting to get back to sleep, I was confused. I asked 2-3 more times and was given the same answer. Finally he relented and left. Strange, it was about 1pm, but obviously I had just woken up and didn't want someone in my room, nor did I request repairs. Absolutely would not recommend!

Room Tip: Don't choose any room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Spenser R

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place was pretty bad. Service was rude. Had to climb like 100 steps to find a room with no AC (even though advertised), no WIFI (even though advertised). the towel in room was filthy (had lipstick stains on it).. No lock from inside and no security at front entrance so as single female traveller felt pretty unsafe. Wish I didn't have to pay for it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We arrived at this guest house with a prior booking, but were told that our room wasn't available until the next day, so we had to stay in the downstairs room for the first night. We were shown to this room, just behind reception, but only stayed for a few minutes. The door had obviously been kicked in in the past, rendering the lock useless and meaning that anyone could just push the door open.

So we were given a family room for that night instead. One of the beds was dangerously broken and there were items belonging to the previous occupants in the room.

We were given 'our' room the next day, which was fine, but we noted that the door opposite us also had signs of forced entry.

The laundry service is overpriced and our laundry was returned to us still damp and some of the items had bits of string sewn into them - our guess is that they wash all together and do this to work out which item belongs to which guest at the end.

The staff in general ranged between dismissive and surly. Coming home late one night we discovered that the staff sleep on the footpath outside the guest house!! I would be surly too!

Overall, just not a positive experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed for two nights (late October 2012) in this hotel and dissatisfied. In the first night I was put in a room at fifth floor with winding staircases long enough to reach which I complained. I asked to be moved to a lower floor the next day and she promised to. But the next day I saw a white guy adjacent to my room was moved downstair than me.

The receptionist didn't bother at all since I've paid for two nights in full. Just be careful when you paid in advance, there's nothing you can do to make further complaint or ask for just a mere service from a bossy receptionist. It was a bad experience to come-down from fifth floor if
you need to go out and climb back upstair. The bed in my room at fifth floor was also sagged down.

Room Tip: I don't know if an 8$ per night for this kind of room is fair in Phnom Penh Psar Kandal neighbor...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We got a good clean double room for one night. There were 90 steps to walk up to the room on the top floor, but then again a bit of exercise is always good. Our room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom even had a bathtub. Usually the shower just flows onto the floor of the bathroom, so having a bathtub was a pleasant surprise, keeping our bathroom dry.
All in all a great deal for 13$.
Staff could speak good English and were helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magicd4
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I booked 3 nights at the guesthouse and ended up staying 6 due to sickness. It was a good base for exploring the city, always tuk tuk drivers outside and a handy shop almost opposite which sold big bottles of water for 50c.

We ended up with a downstairs room, but were told if we wanted to change after the first nigh then we were more than welcome to. I would have done, as the room we were in had a window looking out into the corridor and it was very noisy as it was next to the reception and bar area so we had music blasting from early on each day, but as my husband wasn't feeling great he couldn't be bothered moving.

The room was ok, cleaned each day although we always had to ask for toilet roll...! Bed was rock hard but we got used to it. Wifi was good, and the restaurant served decent food.

The lady on the reception desk speaks perfect English which was helpful with booking onward travel, and we got all our laundry back nice and clean though a white vest top is now slightly pink!

Makes a good base and at $15 a night with air con it wasn't a bad deal at all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The room was ok, a bit grubby, beds were comfy enough but the sheets didn't feel particularly clean. The food in the restaurant was ok but I did get a bit of an upset stomach after having the mixed fried rice (think the fish might've disagreed with me)
Location was ok, within walking distance to the waterfront and thats where all the good bars and restaurants are

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends