Royal Guest House
US$230
US$194
Trip.com
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
US$67
US$37
US$33
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfantastic englishstaff was very friendly and helpfulmini fridgewater pressurenight marketriverside
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Maybe simply by luck but, my experience there was the best i've had in Cambodia and as thus, i think it deserves a devil's advocate. Its located in a pretty quiet part of town with a short walk from the riverside (touristy) and many markets (not so touristy). We came to this place via a friends recommendation and we're made at home instantly. The owner, Bopha, is nice lady with quite a deep side to her and helped us learn alot about the country and its language.

The room was nice (we had 2 beds) with the biggest downside being it had no outside windows but still maintained good ventilation. We knew this ahead of time s were okay with this though. Hot water and fresh sheets were nice except know in advance you have to pay $1 extra for AC. On our last day we had a bus to take from near this location 8 hrs after our checkout but, Bopha let us stay in the attached resturant and play pool and we had tea while chatting with the employees.

Room Tip: top floor has best rooms apparently and when booking a room up front, make sure to ask for one with windows (only our room didn't have windows but, we used it to our advantaged to haggle the price down :D )
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great guest house with perfect location, 5 min walk to the riverside or market, 2 min walk to the royal palace. Bedrooms are great, air con. Very friendly and helpful, good English staffs. If you want to get the nicest room, recommended on the 3 or 4th floor.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jenny Y
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The staff seem to be friendly and helpfull but is actually not when your phone and credit cards are stolen in the room..After talking with clients that have been stolen it appeared that the hotel have connection with the mafia. . Rooms are not made, food gives digestive issues, trip and bus tickets are overpriced. Don't come here or your stay will cost you more than expected

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Hugo64600
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The place its self recommended by the travel books. Went and check out the place, nice place and good location, we decided to stay there for 3 nights. The room was clean. They clean the room daily. Location just at the right spot where water front just few blocks away. We paid $10 fan room with window. Got the 5th floors room, no elevator but didn't bother us. The room on the top roof, we could see the view of the town which face to the river.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MichelCiel
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here after reading about this place in the guide books - it had a great write up and a good location if you want to be able to easily walk to the National Museum and Friends restaurant.

I can honestly say this place is a huge disappointment. When I arrived the woman at the reception desk asked if I had a reservation. When I told her I didn't she asked why not? After a short conversation she said they had fan and air-con rooms for $10/$15 each. I said I would take the fan room. Again she questioned why I didn't want an air-con room. I explained that I had been in Cambodia for a while and had learned to survive without air-con. She seemed annoyed at my reasoning. She gave me a room on the third floor.

The room is a long haul from the lobby - up many flights of steep stairs. Luckily I had a third floor room and not something on a higher floor. The room was basic: a bed, TV, small refrigerator, chair, ceiling fan and private bathroom. Unfortunately the TV didn't work correctly - it would switch off whenever it felt like it. The fridge wasn't plugged in and when I opened it I realized it hasn't been cleaned in years. The room's door looks awful flimsy and shows signs like someone has tried to ram it open in the past.

The bathroom was ok. The shower's water pressure was decent but the toilet seat was broken off from the toilet and simply deposited on top of the water tank section of the toilet.

The staff here is very unfriendly and unhelpful. The guy who runs the restaurant/café seems to care not what you order - he brings you whatever he wants. I ordered a coffee with condensed milk (common way to make coffee in Cambodia) and the pineapple pancakes. The coffee I received tasted like cappuccino and had no condensed milk and the pancakes came without syrup. When I asked if that was the correct coffee I was told that is what I ordered - odd since I have been ordering the same thing almost daily during the several months I had been in Cambodia - and it never tasted like this! As for pancake syrup or honey (which is how most places serve pancakes) I was again told that is how they serve it there. Obviously customer service is not taught at this establishment.

Upon checking out after my 3 night stay the woman at the reception desk told me I owed her for an additional night. This seemed odd to me since they insisted I pay for my room in advance. When I showed her in the sign-in log that I had arrived three nights earlier she said that's not what her records showed. How was I going to get my name put so nicely in between everyone else listed in the sign-in log under the correct day? But she insisted I owed her $10 more. After about 10 minutes of debate I remembered that I had the receipt she gave me when I checked in. Once I pulled that out she looked at it carefully then threw it back at me and said she must have written it down wrong in her records. While waiting for my moto to arrive I actually heard this same woman doing the same - you owe me for an additional night routine - to another patron. Either her bookkeeping is atrocious or it is a blatant scam.

Either way, look at other options to stay at while in Phnom Penh. If you do stay here make sure you keep your receipt after you pay.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a lower level floor or you will have to walk a mile!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo