“Booking fell through....”

Ranked #16 of 320 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
NZ
“Booking fell through....”
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Booked by email but on arrival room given away . What was scandalous was that the woman at the desk trie to convince us that she had a better room at another guesthouse. Same rate. It was clearly a brothel! Did report this to owner who . Must say was surprised by this event as most other reports were positive. An unpleasant start to phnomh penh.

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Bajapaddler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spend two nights at Fancy Guest House. Got Fancy Guest House staff to pick up form Airport. After long flight it is always good see a friendly face. Hotel was booked and no problem with room. Clean and comfortable.Fancy Guest House family always helpful with information.

Will stay again and looking forward

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed in this guesthouse for 3 nights and would definitely return. Mr. Fancy is charming, and very willing to help you with anything during your stay in Phnom Penh. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated, and the wifi works well. My room faced the street with a balcony but the noise was not too bad at night. I was on the third floor, while my friend with a balcony room on the 1st floor had shutters on his windows for extra noise insulation. Walking distance to a lot of things, I'd recommend dinner at the Titanic while you're here, good food, decent prices, entertainment and is located right on the river.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a balcony or room with a window. Apparently the rooms at the back are quieter...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Brussels
Reviewed 12 February 2014

When we first walked into our room (number 100), I was having second thoughts. The ceiling was low, and the windows didn't face the street, which gave the room a bit of a claustrophobic feel. I thought: surely we can do better than this for 23 bucks. That said, the room grew on me after the first night. Despite the bustle of the neighborhood, it was quiet at night, probably because it actually didn't face the street. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was fantastic... one of the strongest water pressures I've experienced in SE Asia. The A/C worked reliably, and the small fridge was a nice touch.

The hotel and the room were spotlessly clean. The owners were helpful without being too pushy. There is a well-stocked and reasonably-priced little shop with snacks, water and cosmetics next to the reception.

The wifi was very strong the first couple of days. Then it slowed down considerably for a bit but the owners resolved the problem promptly.

Stayed for four nights and would come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michalprgbxl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

The room in this hotel was spacious and well equipped. We had a room with no window but were expecting that, and the lights in the room were bright. Bathroom was fine, and turns into a wet room when you've showered (again as expected for Cambodia) but the water drained well. We didn't feel the staff were as friendly as other reviews have suggested though. The manager didn't hold our reservation as he'd let the person in the room stay longer, so we were given a better room for the stay, albeit begrudgingly by the manager. Twice during this rooming fiasco when we were trying to understand what was going on a member of staff got annoyed and rudely stormed off without coming back mid-conversation! Apart from this the staff were mainly friendly, although didn't really go out their way to help. The room was decent enough though!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank thelasthobnob
plymouth
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My second stay at the Fancy Guest House and certainly not my last! A superb and exceptionally clean guest house in a great location...Mr Phannak, his family and staff are without doubt the loveliest people you could ever wish to meet;nothing is too much trouble and I thoroughly recommend anyone visiting Phnom Penh to stay here. You will find cheaper accommodation but you will not find more helpful and caring staff always there to tend to your needs; thank you Mr Phannak and to all your family and staff; I will see you again in late October. Anyone in the hospitality industry in the UK should visit the Fancy GH to see how its done properly!

Room Tip: The front rooms with the balconies are really lovely and you can watch the daliy/nightly activities...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I booked a room through Fancy's website. When I showed up, the manager explained they didn't have a room for me and sent me to his friend's hotel. When I asked him about the cost and whether or not I should settle the bill with the other hotel or him, he said "he would pay for the other hotel". I figured I was getting a room for free since he made a mistake and didn't honor my reservation. I went to the other hotel called Super Star. It was nasty. The room was filthy and it was very noisy. I didn't complain or move because I was getting it for free. The next night I moved to the Fancy. The room was basic, but very nice. No complaints there at all. However, when I went to check out, he had the nerve to charge me two nights at the full rate after inconveniencing me and sending me to the nasty hotel. Not cool. I wasn't in the mood to argue, I paid him less for the nasty room, but still far more than it was worth.

If it wasn't for that little sneaky maneuver, it would have been a nice stay. All in all, I actually would recommend it. Just have a plan B in case they don't hold your reservation and make sure they don't pull any tricks on you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends