“Excellent guest house, terrific service.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Fancy Guest House
Ranked #15 of 332 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent guest house, terrific service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Fancy Guest House in Phnom Penh, paying US$20 per night. Room was great, beautiful decor, clean as anything we'd come across, incl A/C, hot showers, TV, a balcony we could sit out on. Mr Phannak went out of his way to assist us in whatever way he could. His brother was our chauffeur when we went to visit the Killing Fields and S-21 and we would recommend his services also. Fancy GH is located within walking distance of the waterfront and the palace, with lots of places to eat round about. We would definitely go back. As an aside, Elton John stayed in this very hotel when he was in Phnom Penh. Apparently no one knew who he was!

1 Thank kiwimeetsworld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

We stayed at the Fancy Guest House following reviews from Lonely Planet on other places and enjoyed our stay very much.
Mr Phannak, his family and his staff could not be more helpful. We booked a number of things through him and have to disagree with earlier comments of him being overpriced. We got the best deals from him. He even booked and paid for our flights to Luang Prabang and got us a better deal than we could get on the internet!! He also helped wih our stay ni Siem Reap and got us a good deal on a very good hotel.

We thought the hotel he rooms were perfect for 20 dollars. The place is very close to the sights and many bars and eating places.

We did not have a complaint and would definitley stay there again and recommend this hotel.

Jill & Richard

1 Thank jillykor
Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed at the Fancy Guest House for 3 nights during our trip through Cambodia and we really liked it a lot. Mr. Phannak, the owner of the Fancy Guest House, is a funny and great guy who will organize everything for you at a fair price. However he will never push you.
Fancy Guest House really offers you great value for money (twin room at 20 USD). It is clean and safe and it is located near to the main sights.
Just have a look at http://www.seb2b.com/1538 .
We made our reservation in advance per email and we really enjoyed our stay.
Thanks again Mr. Phannak!
Andy & Sandra

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyMunich
Beijing
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

I picked this one mainly due to all the positive reviews I found, but I found those comments seem to overrate this GH a bit.
I spent my first night in Phnom Penh here, the room was clean, and the staff were friendly, very basis stuff in room and I wasn't expecting more for $20. Yet on my way back to Beijing and I stop over at PP again, I found another GH (Kampuja Inn), it was just simply the best for the same $20 in terms of the service, location, and faciliticies in room. one more thing is I didn't get to see the owner as I arrived very late at night, but from all the quoting I got from him for bus ticket, taxi pick up etc, he tends to overprice it a bit.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FeryBaroque
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

No doubt Fancy Guesthouse is in a good location and is safe and clean. We opted for one of the back rooms, no much in the way of windows but after 24hrs travelling from the UK we wanted a quiet nights sleep and for that it was perfect. Mr. Phannuk and his staff were friendly and willing to help at all times, he answered emails from the UK quickly and we arranged to be picked up from the airport and someone was there waiting for us when we arrived. Only negatives that left a little sour taste in our mouths was the fact that almost before we had even checked in Mr.Phannuk tried to line up his brother to do a day tour to Killing Fields, Tuol Sleng etc. It might have been a car but $30 was over our budget and then he tried to claim that a tuk tuk would be $20 anyway. You can find a Tuk Tuk for a much better price by the way. That said, we did book to stay 3 weeks later on our final night in Cambodia, same room, nice and quiet, safe and clean apart from this time when we went to check out he tried to charge us $25 instead of the $20 we paid first time round. He let us pay the $20 without to much argument as we had no reason to believe the price of the room would be any different second time around. I'd still recommend Fancy Guesthouse in Phnom Penh, not having stayed anywhere else in PP its difficult to compare against the competition, it won't be the best guesthouse you'll stay at in Cambodia but it did the job for us.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toshki
Fairbanks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

Phnom Penh was the last stop of my two month solo travels and I had heard that the city could be a bit crazy and exhausting. After unfriendly guesthouses in Siem Reap and Battambang, I really wanted to stay at a friendly guesthouse in Phnom Penh and was incredibly happy with my choice of Fancy Guesthouse. The staff is very welcoming, the rooms are clean and nicely decorated, and the location is great. The beds were so comfortable! Hey, after traveling around SE Asia you begin to rate hotels based on the comfort of their beds. It isn't the best place for solo travelers - it's a bit out of the backpacker price range and just doesn't have the backpacker vibe. However, I was only staying two nights and didn't much feel like socializing. My only complaint is that I had reserved a single room in the middle of the building ($15) and received a confirmation that the room was available. Upon arrival it was no longer available because the current occupant had a super late checkout (9pm). The owner put me in a $25 double room with window at the discounted rate of $20 for the first night and I switched to the cheaper room the second night. I argued that he should only charge me $15 for the larger room since I had a reservation and had no need for the larger, nicer room, but he wouldn't budge saying he was already giving me a discount. He did it all with a smile though! Although this bugged me, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

The Fancy Guesthouse lived up to all the reviews we had read. Our room was spotless and featured beautiful timberwork on the windows and doors. Mr Phannak and staff were always available to assist us with further travel arrangements and advice on activities around town. The location was close to the Museum, Riverfront and many restaurants and they maintained a safe environment for their guests. We enjoyed sitting on the verandah and watching daily life below. We stayed on two separate occasions and we would have no hesitation in chosing the Fancy for our accommodation again. Staff, Room and Location all get the thumbs up from us.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple