“Staff and Food Keep Me Coming Back”

Freebird Bar & Grill
Ranked #105 of 1,612 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is another restaurant / bar that I keep coming back to when I visit Phnom Penh. I found this place on my last day over 4 years ago and vowed to come back for another visit. After many visits since then I still rank this as one of the best for western food. I did a review of this a couple years ago and thought an update was appropriate as many places tend to drop in quality as they age. Their "happy hour" goes from 3-9pm and most of the drink prices only drop by 50 cents, though a draft Tiger is $1.25. If you are looking for a mix drink then it is a hit or miss on how good they make it. Some drinks they pull out the "recipe sheet" to see how it is made. Good tequila sunrise but a miss on an old fashion. One of the highlights is the "happy hour snacks". Also just a 50 cent drop but well worth it. Tried the chicken kebabs (6). Outstanding...marinated just right. The beef kebabs were a little tough so go chicken. Another snack was the "poppers" (6). Stuffed jalapeños which had a light bread coating...outstanding. They have a couple other snacks available (satay, spring rolls, etc) which I didn't get to try but if past experience holds they will be good also. The thing that holds it all together is the staff. Anna who was there when I visited in 2012 is outgoing and speaks good English. All the staff keep the place running smoothly

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I come from Buffalo, NY so I've been on the look out for tasty buffalo wings ever since I moved to Phnom Penh five years. I've ordered them at many restaurants around town, and I've got to say - I always come back to the Freebird wings. They are crispy & delicious & you can actually order them with blue cheese! I've probably had them 10-15 different times & only had a problem once where they were WAY too spicy, but the chef was not willing to re-do them. They offered to wash off the hot sauce & then gave me the wings back - strange, but seemed like a uniquely Cambodian customer service style compromise, so I accepted. The wings pair so nicely with the draft ice cold beer.

1  Thank Amanda T
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Found this place through Trip Advisor. The atmosphere was not as warm and inviting as had expected, seemed rather cold and off putting. The staff was warm and friendly which served to help warm up the atmosphere. I ended up coming here several times because of the quality of the food and the good service from the girls who waited the tables. The food was real good but the prices were just a little high by the standard of the other similar restaurants in Phnom Penh.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

having visited this bar over the past years we tried it again for an evening meal.
the staff are friendly and pretty efficient but our meal was very average. my wife's rice and vegetables was ok but nothing special. my hamburger had a weird meat from an animal of uncertain species/origin didnt taste at all good, certainly not 'hamburger' taste. i didnt eat it.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

The food is terrific but it isn't just about the food. It is a home away from home. This is in part because of the superb staff who are very warm and attentive but also because of the excellent job done in presenting a little bit of Americana in the heart of mainland Southeast Asia. Cool rock'n roll tunes and lots of fascinating memorabilia on the walls. This is no knock off of TGI Friday or Hard Rock Cafe. It is much more authentic and way more cool!

For food I would recommend a dish if I could but all that I have tried over many visits are delicious. For a light snack they do great buffalo wings. Chicken cordon bleu is awesome! The cheeseburger is awesome! I'm not into heavy food but I tried the mac and cheese with beef and it hit the spot! They have higher end stuff too if you're into steaks. A classic place with a great atmosphere. It is a must go to if you are visiting Phnom Penh and looking for something authentic.

1  Thank Victor M