“A totaly charming place”
Review of Villa Langka

Villa Langka
Ranked #23 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland
“A totaly charming place”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is maybe the most charming place we stayed during our trip! Everybody was really nice and convenient. The breakfast was amasing with all the juice, fruits, breads and cooked dishes.

There is at least two kind of rooms. The other couple traveling with us had a good/average room. Our was just the dream room of any couple! With a big open bathroom, it was an appeal to any kind of romantism you like!

The pool is really helpful during the hot season. And the location is perfect. You can easily reach the royal palace by walking. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. Thank you a lot!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an open bathroom. For example one of those located atop the reception!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 24 April 2014

An oasis in Phnom Penh. Character rooms, pool surrounded by mature tropical garden. Friendly, kind staff. Relaxed feel. The food is top notch nosh. Central location but on quiet narrow street with interesting pagoda across the road. I didn't want to leave and would go back anytime. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stay in the original, older building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Sigtuna, Sweden
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Villa Langka was wonderfull, the receptions desk with tis staff welcoming you with wide smile, the refreshment and the icecold towel you get on arrivel. That sisådär quality and care on details. I enjoyed every moment at Villa Langka. I hade a very spacious and light, really light room with a balcony. It was great, absolutely great. The breakfast hade everything and very very fresh, really delicious! Villa Lanka have a very god location and could walk where ever I wanted to go.
I would rekommenderar Villa Lanka to every one who will spend time in Phnom Penh. i absurde you you will get value for money!

I have one suggestion to the hotel, Put a light above the mirror in the bathroom. It was lite to dark at the mirror if you needed to do Your make up.

Room Tip: I think any room is great, the building is an old villa i colonial style and my room was in the anex...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. Based on the other positive reviews, I can only surmise that the rooms here are very hit or miss. I really wish that we'd had a positive experience like the other reviewers, and hopefully their rooms and stays were better than ours. In fact, our experience has been so bad that I'm writing this review while I'm still a guest. This hotel was booked for me through a pre-paid tour; otherwise, I would change hotels.

1) This is really like a 2-star hotel in the United States. Think La Quinta, Super 8, etc. It may be a 3-star hotel in Cambodia, but it shouldn't be rated as a 3-star hotel by US or European standards. A Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express is much nicer. The tiles in our room are old and looked dirty (i.e., not in the appealing vintage patina sort of way). The decor is sparse. The lighting is very dim. The whole effect gives the room a lurid feel (rather than a romantic feel with soft lighting).

2) This hotel lacks basic amenities. Despite management's response to a previous review a few years ago that it would "upgrade" the amenties, nothing has been done. It even lacks wash cloths!! I understand a lack of wash cloths is standard in some parts of the world, but it's not what I'd expect when paying this much money relative to the local economy and all of the other hotels we stayed at in this region had them. Also, I understand that some hotels may choose communal shampoo for conservation reasons, but I can just say that we stayed at some hotels in Thailand and Laos where this was the case and this hotel is seriously lacking compared to them. Honestly, this hotel reminds me of my foregone hostel days, and not in a good way.

3) The lack of suitable air conditioning makes this hotel untolerable during the hot season. Our A/C was barely blowing out any air, although we were assured that maintenance had checked it and it was working fine. We asked for a fan, just to provide some relief in the evening. We first received an archaic fan that did not even work... After pressing the front desk again, we received a functioning fan that made it more tolerable. We understand the importance of "keeping one's cool" in the culture here, so we were careful to ask respectfully, to be patient, and to keep our voices down. Nonetheless, the staff did not seem the least bit concerned with our issue and even seemed incredulous that the room was indeed hot and that the fan was not functioning.

4) Service is lacking. When we made our first complaint about the A/C, we had to leave before the work was completed. The front desk told us that they'd "take care of it." You'd hope that management would accept some ownership of a reasonable problem raised by guests. Unfortunately, we found ourselves having to press the front desk for a tolerable room. That hassle alone would make us avoid this hotel in the future.

5) The room lacks privacy and sound attenuation. You can hear everything in the bathroom in this room and in the two adjoining rooms. You can also hear the sounds from the pool downstairs and conversations outside. Also, the curtains are not wide enough to cover all of the windows, so you have to shift them to one side to try to block out most of the view.

On the bright side, the pool does look nice like other reviewers note, and it is located next to NGOs and some restaurants.

Room Tip: The lack of suitable air conditioning makes this hotel untolerable during the hot season. Avoid Roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DC3s
vl2014, General Manager at Villa Langka, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
First of all we have well noted your disappointment. It is with regret I read about your unsatisfying stay with us. I must say I am rather surprised to hear such negative comments and would like to rectify some of the issue that you mention.

The air conditioning was working perfectly and room was cold enough, it was checked by head of department and myself. Concerning amenities, as promised they have been upgraded with Senteurs d'Angkor handmade soap and ceramic tray and pots from Siem Reap. I am also sorry that you perceived the service in the hotel to be of such low quality.

Our friendly and professional service is something we take great attention in, which is also quite evident on other recent reviews here on TripAdvisor…......

Nevertheless, I regret that we could not offer you a room in our modern part instead of the traditional Khmer Villa side but we were unfortunately fully booked.

Again am sorry you had such a negative experience and I can assure you that your bad experience was a rare exception at Villa Langka.

Regards,
Chickamauga, Georgia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Almost next to Independence Monument on Sihanouk and Norodom Blvd, but located on a small side street. The Room was very small but clean, no hot water for the two weeks I stayed, but the water was warm enough to shower. Breakfast very good and evening meals reasonable. Found myself going out to eat most evenings after a few days. The Hotel is near many excellent restaurants. Overall a good place to stay but if I stay again I will negotiate for a better room.

Room Tip: Almost next to Independence Monument on Sihanouk and Norodom Blvd. Room very small but clean, no ho...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Bud H
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great location and lovely setting. We really enjoyed coming back to the hotel after mornings out. We are a family of 4 and stayed in room 25. It was perfect. Two extra beds set up for kids. Air con AND fans and very large private balcony.
Food was great, reasonably priced. Ask for kids menu as we didn't discover this till 3rd day.
Not the cheapest room but worth the money and better ambiance than a large hotel with interconnecting rooms. I looked at many different options before booking and happy to say we made the right choice to accommodate our needs.

Room Tip: As mentioned, room 25 for family of 4 was perfect!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

A great place to base oneself and shelter from the madness that is Phnom Penh. It is central, welcoming, efficient and good value. The staff are friendly. The food is good. The swimming pool, though not large, is a very welcome resource at the end of a hot day. The room was small but very modern and clean. The dining area is around the pool and it has quite a nice atmosphere.
Malis is at a walking distance from the hotel and so are several nearby restaurants. It is a very convenient location if you're visiting Phnom Penh as a tourist.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple