“Slightly Below Average Hotel But Good Location”
Review of Asia Palace Hotel

Asia Palace Hotel
Ranked #182 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Malaysia
“Slightly Below Average Hotel But Good Location”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

If you come by express bus (Mekong Express Limousine Bus) from Vietnam to Phnom Penh, the bus will stop at a bus stop nearby this hotel. There are many tuk-tuk driver waiting for customers. Pay no more than USD1 to the hotel as it is nearby.

Asia Palace is quite a modern hotel managed by locals. The Superior rooms are big, spacious and clean. Room entry is by magnetic card. No problem with a/conditioning at all and water heater is always hot. However the breakfast provided are quite limited and need improvement by having more varities and quality food. Mainly oriental food with toast bread. Go early for your breakfast or else you will get leftovers as refill is very slow.

The hotel's location is quite strategic along the long Monivong Boulevard. Very close to Old Market (200m across the Monivong Blvd) and Sorya Supermarket where you can get fastfood easily. Even the ground floor of the hotel has a burger restaurant. There are always tuk-tuk driver (can sit 4 person) waiting outside of the hotel to ferry you to the places of sightseeing at USD15 per day or USD2 per way. Taxi fare to airport is fixed at USD10 and tuk-tuk cost only USD5. It is for you to choose.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Magte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I stayed at Asia Palace with 5 of my coworkers for a week during our business trip in Asia. It was such a great hotel. The staff was great -- very friendly and hospitable to all of us. Our needs were very well attended to. I felt secured staying in the hotel (there were security cameras all around), considering it was my first time to be in the country.

Hotel Facilities:
They have a little section next to the lobby that serves amazing French - Italian coffee. As for entertainment, the hotel is connected to a popular fast food, very convenient for Westernized or European people.

There is a casino on the second floor for people who like to gamble. The casino's staff is also very nice. They provide free food when gambling.

Regarding my room, everything was fantastic. I got a suite for a decent price. When I got there, the room was cleaned but not up to my standard, so I called the bell desk and asked them if they can send some staff to further tidy up the room. A team of five ladies came and they cleaned up my room. However my other coworkers' suites were up to their standards. They loved their room very much.

I realized that that wasn't going to be my last trip to Cambodia as we have scheduled future trips there (both for work and leisure). With that in mind, I wouldn't hesitate staying with Asia Palace again. I highly recommend it to travelers to Phnom Penh.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Vienna
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We arrived at the hotel without a booking quite late at night after a very long boat journey from Chau Doc, Vietnam. The aircondition did not work in the room the hotel gave us. They tried to fix it but without success. So we had to pack all our stuff again and were upgraded for the night. On the following day we moved again to a another room where we stayed three nights. Breakfast is ok, room is spacious and bathroom, too. The location of the hotel is good, for 1.5 USD one can get a tuck tuck to go to the Royal Palace. The Asia Palace Hotel is not the best hotel we have stayed in but it is it is worth the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No swimming pool
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
Reviewed 13 November 2008

The Asia Palace Hotel was advertised as a 3 star hotel. We have stayed in many 3 star hotels in a number of countries (including SE Asia), and this hotel was significantly below the standard of all those other hotels.

The airconditioning did not work in our room. After drawing this to the staff's attention, they were unable to make it work. We were moved to a second room where the airconditiong took 2 hours to drop from 28 to 22 degrees. After 2 hours one small bag containing biscuits became infested with ants, which were swarming from the wall across the room to the bag. The hot water was barely lukewarm. Neither bedside light worked. The carpet in both rooms and the hallways was dirty and stained.

A "western breakfast" was advertised. "Western" comprised toast and Lipton Tea only. We love Asian food, but not for breakfast. All other SE Asian hotels we've stayed in also offered cereal, fruit, eggs and/or bacon.

We were booked for 3 nights, but only stayed one - and that only because it was late when we checked in.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank Kezgorez

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed 20 June 2008

A friend had recommended that I stay at this hotel, because she said what you pay for far exceeds anyones expectations. So off I went!

I arrived to Asia Palace at around 1am a little tired but excited to be in Cambodia. Being a young woman in her 20s I didn't want to stay somewhere by myself on the first night in a strange country. The idea was to meet an old uni friend and we'd stay in strange places together. Safety in numbers!! I got into the lobby and there were two men waiting to check in customers. I approached the desk and asked to book a room. "Passport" replied the staffman. As I was looking through my bags, I was taking an extra long time to find my passport. I couldn't find it. The man behind the desk was becoming a little agitated (as was I) because I was taking everything out of my bags on putting them on the counter. He repeated "Where is your passport?" I stuttered, "I may have left it in the taxi." Upon hearing this the man behind the desk ordered me to get out. "I can't help you if you don't have a passport. Get out!" I was so shocked and immediately became angry with him. After a bit more panicking and searching I finally did find my passport (hidden in a pocket) but a welcome like that from the hotel staff was not really appreciated. I decided not to take matters further because I was too tired. I would talk to the manager the next day about his shoddy staff. Anyway, I got into my room and the first thing I noticed was how ENORMOUS the room was!! I couldn't believe it. I could do cartwheels in this place. Everything was extremely neat, not a sign of mould in the bathroom. Their bathroom goodies could have done with a bit of a touch up (the moisturiser looked like it had been there for years) but everything was wonderfully kept. My windows were enormous. I had my own balcony. The air con was a fresh welcome and the beds and pillows were great. I had my own safety box and little fridge. The mini bar was a bit expensive for cambodia prices, but I didn't mind seeing as it was next to nothing where I come from. The breakfasts in the mornings are a little shoddy as well. Make sure you get to breakfast early, because you'll find the table covered in sugar ants if you get there too late. Asia Palace could definitely do with some cereals. Heavy meals in the mornings only make me tired and their juice was cordial (ready mixed juice).
When I approached staff the next day, they did everything they could to help me out with whatever problem or question I had. I had wanted to book a ticket to Siem Reap so they booked my bus tickets for me. A pick up was arranged for my friend and I and the staff did a great job! I decided "The Midnight Welcome Party," was probably just a one off thing, but it was a pretty scary wake up call. Don't ever lose your passport in Cambodia cos no one wants to help you out. Asia Palace is pretty close to everything if you're going by remorque/tuk tuk but if you're looking for a quick bite, the only food place you'll find is the Lucky Burger downstairs which closes around 11pm. As my friend and I learnt the Khmer street dining around here left us squeamish. I think every hygiene rule in the book is broken in Cambodia.

• Liked — the size of the rooms! they don't call it a palace for nothing
  • Disliked — their check in staff at midnight. Awful awful awful!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank nivfitz
Toronto
Reviewed 23 January 2008

We stayed in this hotel in December 2007. Located in a central location, this hotel is within walking distance to the city market (an excellent market!) and the Mekong River. The hotel provides two bottles of water and coffee and tea supplies in the room. The reception staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel also has an ATM machine in the building. As well there is an excellent fast food outlet in one corner of the hotel. There are two sets of elevators adding to the convenience. This is a large hotel and it was quite busy when we stayed there.

Our room was quite large, off the courtyard. Therefore we were in a nice quiet area of the hotel. The hotel uses a card key system; that is, every time you leave the room you need to take your card with you. This means that your room is very hot every time you return as the air conditioning is turned off. The breakfast staff was unfriendly and often appeared to be put upon. It was difficult even to get their attention at times. They were too busy either eating themselves, chatting, reading the newspaper or dismissive.

Little things make or break a hotel. We asked the hotel to change a US$1 for local currency. They claimed that they couldn’t. No reason given, just not able to provide this little service.

Apart from this incident and the surly breakfast staff, this was a fine hotel to use while visiting Phnom Penh. This is a very nice city, well worth visiting in our opinion.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple