“Would rather stay here than one just down the road, Way better value for money”

Diplomat Hotel and Business Center
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Astana
Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Having been to Astana before and ended up hating the hotel (just further down the road, has a Presidential in the name) and found that yes this hotel is slightly tired in its decor. But the rooms are huge and have a better layout and plug positioning for people on business. Not once did I have to crawl around on the floor to unplug a lamp.
The wireless does seem to peak and fall, but so it did at the more expensive hotel.
The best thing about the Diplomat was the quality of sleep. There was never an "event going on" that would interrupt your work or your sleep.
Never had a problem with the level of cleanliness and the front of house staff were always available and helpful.
The breakfast was reasonable, not quite to the lavish scale of "the one down the road", but never went hungry and there was no need for the extravagance presented at Breakfast. You want something to eat and the coffee was always hot and plentiful. and tastes much like the coffee just down the road.
There are a selection of restaurants nearby which I tried out some are better like Sadu.
My only complaint was that i had to call the hotel to locate the driver that had been sent to meet my flight, he should have been at the exit as that is the service you are paying for. Arriving at 1 am to a load of "guys" trying to harass you into the taxi is nothing but annoying.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ulfner, General Manager at Diplomat Hotel and Business Center, responded to this review, 25 November 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback from your stay at the Diplomat Hotel & Business Center in Astana.
We are very happy to hear that you were delighted with our services provided during your stay with us.
We highly appreciate your constructive feedback on areas for improvement, which is very valuable for us in our continuous strive to deliver excellent guest service satisfaction and value for money.
On behalf of the entire hospitality team of the Diplomat Hotel & Business Center, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and we wish to see you as our guest soon again.

Magnus Ulfner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Hotel is well located, very central, that´s its main advantage. But no internet available in rooms (even if in their website they say there is), which is specially bad if you came for bussines. Room size is fine, good for the Price. No restaurant available, just a small place near the lobby with a very limited option. If you go for bussines, then you should stay somewhere else.

1 Thank juan_cristobal001

Manchester
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Not bad, but not great either. The car they were supposed to send to collect me didn't show up.
My room was fine, although I'm not sure it would be comfortable in really cold weather.
The location is good, right in the city centre.
The staff didn't seem to be fully trained - particularly in the bar where ther service was patchy.
Breakfast wasn't good. Limited selection, What should have been hot food was lukewarm and the coffee was weak and watery.
Overall I'd say the value was reasonable if you compare it to some of the hotels here, but don't expect too much

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was in Astana for a 2 weeks business trip. This was the first time I stayed at Diplomat - wanted give it a try (I stayed in other hotel here). It is nicely located. The modern city center is just in front of you. I can't say that dining options in the area are that good but definitely one can find a place to eat nearby. I had a spacious room with large soft bed, a small coach, and a nice round table. Well, I had almost everything for rest and work. The bathroom was clean, also pretty spacious. The laundry is rather cheap, the quality is in accordence to the price.
Still, after a week at Diplomat I just had to move to another place (my choice was recently built Park Inn). The day I arrived to the hotel they had a serious problem with their IT service and the whole hotel had no wifi (which is pretty important for a business traveller). I believe, they tried their best to have the system recovered. But a week later, I still had no interenet. Well, this might be just an occasional situation and I just had a bad luck but apart from that the hotel has some other drawbacks worth mentioning. In cold periods, the rooms are generally cold her since they have a panoramic windows lacking a good thermoprofing set up. Literally you can feel the wind from the outside. The only heating option is the airconditioning system. But it seems that it doen't work. My room was like a fridge in the morning. And besides it's pretty noisy. Oh yes, the other day the air was with a tint of smoke. The bathroom was good but you can easily spot many things broken or out of order. Breakfast is poor. While you can always order eggs, all other food options don't look that attractive (imagine pieces of cheese and ham after hours on the open air). Cofee is just disgusting, you better go to the lobby bar to have one. The hotel doesn't have dining options except for the lobby bar. The menu is very modest but the food seems to be fine. However after a week there I can tell you that it really depends on the cooking teams in charge - they are changing. The overall impression od Diplomat is that the hotel is overpriced taking into account the quality of their service. I'm writing this review from Park Inn, and I can confirm that for almost the same price you can get a much better service. See my next review on Park Inn soon.

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

As alaways in Astana there is a choice between renown intrnational chains with mad prices or medley of other hotels and guest houses, built and run according owners own ideas of what the hotel shall be like. So, finding a good hotel is really a lottery... Can't tell Diplomat was a jackpot but in my own ranking it got quite high scores
Pros: well located in the centre, I was walking to a meeting, good quality food, good enough bathroom and bed
Cons:not well trained personnel, continuously diappering Wi-Fi, full wall window looks not well isolated, can be cold in the winter

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Oleg S

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Among the overpriced options in Astana this is a reasonable option. Decent bed and quite good breakfast. Rooms are huge so if you need to work or have meetings it may help. Did not have time to try or use wifi. No bottled water invkuded but they waved the fee when I said I uswd one bottle from the minibar.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel is certainly not 4 star as it claims to be it's 3 star max and I have stayed in better 3 star hotels elsewhere. The first room I was given had 2 single beds (very small ones at that) after having asked for another room with a double bed I was given another one. This particular room was actually dangerous for ones life. The socket unit which had all the electric devices from lamps plugged into it was broken and was falling out of the wall with all it's "guts" (wires) sticking out. The socket was placed next to the top of the bed where your head is when you sleep. After informing the reception about it they sent an electrician who said it cannot be fixed instantly and I will have to wait for a while. This was at 5 o'clock in the morning....Only after practically shouting at reception staff they gave me another room.

The bathrooms are very poor and I wouldn't event mention the toiletries. The mini bar is not replenished everyday, rooms are cleaned in a very relaxed manner. The only good thing I can say about the hotel is the room service food that I ordered and it was really nice and tasty.

So if you are after a rather cheap hotel (by Astana standards) and are not expecting much then it's fine to stay there. If you want a good quality hotel stay at the Rixos but expect to pay a fortune for it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank EugeniaRo
Okan K, Genel Müdür at Diplomat Hotel and Business Center, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Eugenia,

Thanks a lot for your positive & negative comments. Sorry for your unhappy experience in Diplomat Hotel. Please make sure that all your inputs already started to be considered in detail.
Hope to have a chance to welcome you again and to change your bad memories to good ones with us.

Best regards,

OK
GM

Travellers are raving about these Astana hotels