Beijing Palace Soluxe Hotel Astana
US$143
Priceline
Aka Hotel(Astana)(Great Value!)
US$37
All reviewsrevolving restaurantchinese restaurantrooms are cleanfloorspacity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2014

As others have observed, a strange hotel.
What I liked - big, clean room. Good city views. Decent hotel gym facilities-wise and excellent swimming pool. Had delicious meals at both the Chinese restaurant and the revolving restaurant on the 23rd floor. Service staff were generally friendly and willing to help.
What I didn't like so much - default temperature of rooms is boiling hot. Astana is icy-cold in January but my first room was stifling and impossible to sleep in. In the second one I was at least able to turn off the radiator. Gym is also way too hot. Shower curtain didn't prevent flooding in the bathroom. Buffet breakfast is uninspiring. Value for money not good any way you look at it - a coffee and a (tiny) bottle of water ordered in the hotel bar in the lobby together cost £10, for example.

Room Tip: Make sure you can adjust the heating in the room you're given.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank UKvisitor2014
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great restaurant singer, good view, basic food, horrifying prices.
This was a complete rip-off and not worth half the money we paid. Avoid.
We didn't get the food indicated on the menu, including dishes that should have been vegetarian but featured beef. A member of the party with a food allergy was nevertheless served the food which we had asked to be excluded. Russian speaker among the party.
Beer was €12 per small bottle, we discovered when the bill arrived.
Bad experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NimmyC
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed there twice for three days each time, and though my first experience was not very good, the second time it was terrible. The weather in November in Astana is very cold, and for some reason they decided to accomodate my colleagues and me in corner rooms (silly me for realizing that only on the last day).
Out of 20 something bars on the radiator only 5 were barely working. After my complaint, they allocated me to another (again cold and corner room), where the radiators weren't working properly either - they said they had fixed them and they'd work in 2 hours. OK. Next morning I got up it was terribly cold, the radiators were almost cold, they brought extra radiators but the coldness seeped through the walls into the room. Long story short: I ended up getting ill after staying in the hotel and did not feel rested at all. on the last day I changed my room again - the new room was warmer, yet had a weird smell, I couldn't be bothered to complain again and just put up with it.
The only advantage was polite staff - that's the least they could do to make up for all the inconveniences they caused repeatedly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Naz123546
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A client booked this property for us, and I found the hotel to be enormous with very few guests inside. Astana lacks a vibrant hotel industry, so I'm not sure how this hotel stacks up against the others. My room was large....and looked like any standard Chinese hotel room one might find in a Chinese provincial capital. Breakfast on the top floor was disappointing and a bit staid. I would suggest bringing your own instant coffee if you stay here. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The hotel could be seen as a typical Chinese 3-4 start hotel. The overall physical condition is quite good. However some small things can really turn guests off. One is the smell of cooking in the air, both in public places and in the rooms. Perhaps good ventilation in the kitchen and public areas would help. One other thing is mysterious water running out of bath tub or somewhere in the bath room. The third is that the hotel management didn't turn on heating for the room even when the outside temperature dropped to near zero, thus left guests to deal with the room temperature at about 10 degrees.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business