“Very comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Astana
London
“Very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay here. Everything was good. Bed comfy. Quiet room on one of the higher floors. Bar is expensive but good choice of food. Pleasant design of both the room and the public areas. Very kindly allowed a late checkout. Centrally located and very close to public transport. Reception staff were very efficient and helpful. Would definitely stay here again if visiting Astana.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank PeteD_London
Elena S, Manager at Rixos President Astana Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Pete_D London,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your impressions of our hotel in details. We are delighted that the hotel facilities and services overall exceeded your expectations. Reception team members were congratulated on their commitment to providing excellent services to our guests and great job!

We hope to have the pleasure to see you once again in our hotel.

elena.shvarts@rixos.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice (Oct 2013 for a week and January 2014 for 3 weeks). I am a business traveller and we enjoy a special rate (US gov), so I cannot comment on price. Besides we are paid per diems, so staying in Astana is not as painful. The entire city is very expensive (I got a sticker shock coming from DC/North VA), so there is no surprise that the hotel is expensive. It is a Turkish chain hotel managed by an Italian, also they have an Italian catering manager and German and Dutch chefs.

Lobby and Atrium - are beautiful, with a lot of green plants, trees and fresh flowers.The atrium is very spacious, nicely appointed with tables and a lot of comfortable sofas. Nice place to have some tea, which is also pricey but comes with a tray with nutsm raisins and small cookies. Nice surprise. Need to make a special mention of birds. There are at least 8-10 birds (parakeets and cockatiels.. I had to google their names). They are in cages located in each corner of the artirum, so when they take a break from napping and feeding, they talk/sing a lot. I guess some clients complaned about the noise, but I like it.

Rooms - are spacious, nicely furnished, but a bit dark to my taste (not enough lighting). They have a desk, but often there is no outlet for plugging your laptop. Ask for an extension cord. The beds are hard to my taste, so I sleep on extra comforters to feel more comfortable. The hotel does not have blankets. When I asked for one, they brought 2 sheets, which worked out fine. The hotel itself is very warm, it was about 80F on the 5th floor, I had to turn off heat in my room (despite it being January and minus 15-20F outside). Rooms are quiet, good noise insulation. I don't hear guests next door. Rooms have a mini fridge (a bar with overpriced drinks) and a tea pot. They provide 2 bottles of water per day which is complimentary. They also have instant coffee, tea and sugar which is NOT being replenished on a daily basis unless you call and ask. Cleaning ladies are not responsible for tea/coffee..or a coffee cup for that matter. You need to call room service and ask. Also, despite the hotel staff being very friendly and hard working, sometimes, they just cannot connect the dots.. They took my coffee cup one day when I returned from the office. I called and asked why they took it. The answer was "probably because it was dirty" !!!! Well.. you could've (1) leave it dirty; (2) wash it or (3) replace with a clean one.. Instead they just took it. Back in October I ended up with 3 coffee cups in my room (2 of them remained dirty, sitting in various parts of the room). Go figure.. I think part of it is local culture/mentality and impossibility to train everybody to the same standard or understanding of westen-style service.

Phone and internet - free phone - VOIP - you can call anywhere in the world for free. I called US, Ukraine and the connection was pretty decent. Wireless internet is fast and pretty reliable.

Food - well... very pricey on the menu. I usually order from their Turkish menu, as I cannot bear to pay $25 for a club sandwich or a burger. Room service is even more outrageous, so it is better to eat in the atrium ($13-$17 per Turkish dish). Breakfast is an overkill. They cater to various cultures (soup and manty, sushi and korean type food). Good selection of cheeses, cold cuts, freshly baked bread and pastries. You can find bacon: it is buried under non-halal sausages. My two complaints are: (i) they cook eggs right in the dining area and there is no exhaust. If several guests order omelettes, you, your hair and clothes will be smelling like greasy kitchen. It is pretty annoying. I never go there in my business clothes. (ii) Eggs are terrible.. the yolks are barely yellow. Not hotel's fault. I imagine they come from vitamin D deficient chickens..

Gym and the Spa - I am an avid runner, so a decent treadmill is a must (especially when you are in the Snow Blizzard Capital of the World). Treadmills are terrible. My guess they are not leveled and they run hard. It feels like you are running uphill. Normally an effortless 5 miler becomes a painful ordeal on those treadmills. There are 2 stationary bikes and 2 ellipticals, several other weight machines and free weights. If you are not a treadmill snob like me, you will be happy with the gym. They provide towels and water. There is a whole fridge with water right in the gym.

Spa/Saunas are FABULOUS and very clean despite a lot of traffic. I have not done any massages, but heard they are very good. There are 5-6 Filippino ladies working there. I imagine they know what they are doing. There is a very nice pool. Bring your googles and you can do laps when it is not crowded. It gets crowded only during weekends when rich and plump locals come to enjoy the saunas and the pool. Speaking of saunas: there are 2 dry saunas (90C and 110 C), a steam room with menthol (very hot) and a Turkish bath. There is a "Relax Room" with dim lights, quiet music and candles. You can take a nap, relax or even have some expensive tea.

Staff - I find all hotel staff very hardworking and friendly. I cannot comment on their English skills as I speak Russian. I heard front desk and waiting staff speak fluent English.

Smell - about a week ago we returned to this hotel smelling like baby puke (the entire building except for the rooms). I am not being dramatic about.. I asked the front desk about it and they explained that it was a special solution they use to clean marble and brass.. It's been a week and the place is still stinky. If you don't have a sensitive nose, it might be ok.

The bottom line - I am likely to return to this hotel. However a brand new Marriott will be opened in March 2013 and then all bets are off..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 67Virginia
Dear 67Virginia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your impressions of our hotel in details. We are delighted that the hotel facilities and services overall met your expectations. Please note that all the relevant feedback on team and coffee facilities was passed to our F&B Manager, who is looking into improving this. Your comments on staff attitude have been share with the team, and we are proud to have all these young people working as part of the team at Rixos.

We hope to have the pleasure to see you once again in our hotel.

Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Expensive.... But one of the best. In Astana no hotels which I can recommend. All of them are boring places. So just wanna to say that u can stay here if you love to be top. Hotel operates more for those who traveling to Astana for business reasons. If u can waste your money for fill yourself as a rich man stay here. ))) If it isn't important for u choose more cheaper hotel. All things here are excellent but really boring place. )))

Room Tip: no matter. all rooms are same. Just choose a better window view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Tereshkevich
Dear Tereshkevich,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on our hotel post your stay. We are deilghted to know that your stay in the hotel was pleasurable. The team is dedicated to continuosly exceed expectation of each and every guest.

The hote offers wonderful views of the modern part of the city from rooms and outlets.

Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

There may be still some gaps compared with hotel's aspiration to the top luxury hotel in town. But generally speaking the hotel is well managed, clean with good services. Some minor nuisances like lack of power sockets near the desk so one can't plug in his/her computer without unplug the desk lamp, and super slow and small elevators might invite some complaints, but overall the hotel offers a good comfortable place to stay.

2 Thank YQTA
Dear Aich,

Your compliments of breakfast were passed to our Executive Chef and his team. Indeed, we aim to cater to many different tastes of our guests.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Well its not cheap, the rooms are just OK, the food is OK but the restaurants are empty, the bar quiet, the service OK, breakfast was the highlight with good choice to cater for a wide variety of cultures

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aich
Dear Aich,

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel location is brilyant, in the city center, a step away to diplomatic complex and within walking distance to Astana main attraction.
The standard room is nice, not big but equipped with good quality amenity - though not special for the amount you pay - not cheap - and I dont think twice I will stay there if I have to pay full price from my pocket.
Good selection for breakfast. Nice staff, helpfull and efficient either during check-in and out.

Dear wisnu315,

The hotel beenfits from its location in the modern part of the city, close to administrative and government offices, and I am happy that you were pleased with the location.

Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Our stay at Rixos Astana as part of the Indian Delegation was comfortable and enjoyable. We were lodged in from 08 Sep to 10 Sep 13 at Rixos. The hotel is centrally located giving access to all the splendours of the New Capital of Kazakhstan, Astana. The staff is really great, cheerful and helpful. Billing, check-in, check-out were fast. Chocolates and dry fruits are kept at Hotel Main Foyer for all the guests on the house. The Gym, spa and the swimming pool at -1 level was also great. The room was spacious and comfortable. Though, I felt that they should provide at least tea spoons and two glasses in the room in addition to two mugs. The Breakfast was wholesome, with variety of fruits, dry fruits, cakes and bakes, vegetables and spread of meats. The whole fruits laid out were fresh and juicy and helped me to satiate small hunger whilst on tour away from hotel. Over all it was a good experience.

Dear Suvarat75,