“Great location and nice ambiance”

Restaurant Le Provencal
Ranked #298 of 407 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: French, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We had lunch here and opted for inside since the terrace is a bit close to the traffic and to hot during the day. We had the cheese selection and a few glasses of wine with baqets. Very pleasant atmosphere and prompt service and not expensive.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

What a shame! This is a favourite of mine and they fell at the last hurdle. Le Provencal has a great setting near the fountain but set back in a little garden. The menu is mainly pizzas with a few pasta dishes thrown in, but pizza is the speciality and worth trying.
I wasn't particularly hungry on this visit so opted for a goat's cheese salad. The salad was huge and was easily enough for a main course (or a shared salad for several people). Lots of lettuce, olives, cherry tomatoes and mild sliced onions. The dressing was generous but should have been something a bit more sophisticated than salad cream which spoilt it a bit for me.
I thought I'd finish with a glass of red wine (which was lovely) and a creme brulee. Bad mistake.
Firstly, it arrived still bubbling so rather than that satisfying toffee crack I got a gloopy spoon-snagger. Whoever caramelised the sugar was a little handy with the blow torch so it was a bit too far this side of bitter and burnt. The creme underneath was still cold, the topping too hot and not set. However, (and I still feel a little queasy when I think about it) the "custard" was little more scrambled eggs. It had a terrible curdled texture and even that layer of watery sweat you get from a plate of cooled scrambled eggs. To be frank, it was disgusting. Try serving anyone a shallow bowl of scrambled eggs with badly caramelised sugar on top and tell them it's creme brulee and see if they thank you for it.
It's a shame because this is a lovely little restaurant, great ambience, friendly service and a pizza menu to please everyone. Go there, but don't be tempted by the creme brulee.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I hade the escarcots (snails) and a fishfilet in this place last night. I got from one of those two a serious food poisioning, causing diarrea and stomach problems. I am sure it came from ghat food, because i had not eaten anything else the whole day, only a toast as breakfast.
I belive the snails has caused my problem, because one of them was not really hot when i ate that one.
Very bad experience for me this restaurant.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This restaurant is not a cheap one. If you compare it with restaurants in Pattaya and other foreign places in Thailand it is even very expensive. You would think, that because Laos was a French colony for a long time, french wines would be cheap here, as they are in Cambodia. But that is not true. Wines here are expensive, same as the food. The menu is also not so extensive as I had hoped for, so to be honest it was just ok for one time only.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Food didn't arrive as advertised, and staff were unhelpful as I tried to explain that I was allergic to the replacement, and wanted the food I had ordered. The rest of the food arrived okay, but was definitely not worth the prices they charged for it! Especially avoid the ratatouille if you like the traditional dish