“Very average. Better options exist”

Douang Deuane Hotel
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I found this hotel to be very average. The location is good (near the river and the night market) and many good food options. Our room was big, but nothing special. The breakfast was mediocre. The staff (reception) were not as nice/polite/helpful as we found in other places throughout Laos. Totally average. Check out V Hotel just a couple doors down. I toured the hotel and it was MUCH better for about the same price.

My wife and I travel around the world (mostly South and Southeast Asia) year-round. We stay in 80-100 hotels per year. We also tour many more hotels for our guests & tours (about 300 per year). We generally seek out hotels that are highly rated on TripAdvisor and Agoda so my reviews are naturally skewed toward the high end. My reviews are generally based on overall value (how much you get for what you pay). We generally stay in low mid-range hotels but have stayed in everything from hostels to luxury 5-star accommodations. If I give a 4 or 5 star rating you can rest assured it’s a nice hotel. It goes without saying that I have received nothing for submitting this review.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BJ G

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel and asked if we can do late checkout.the receptionist,who barely know english told us it's ok.
When we came to checkout there was another person on the reception that insist we have to pay for extra half day because we check out late!!
Of course we told him that we were'nt told anything about extra pay,and we refused to pay it.Eventually we realized that the first receptionist dont know English and couldnt understand us (its NOT my problem).
Room are clean,breakfast just ok,but the service is terrible.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Passage again and again in Vientiane hotel which I prefer for its price, bath, breakfast room and the friendliness of the staff. more opposite you will find the travel agency for information and reservations for Laos, coming right you will find a 50 meter well in french sweet confectionery after Banetton which is a avoid

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ester A
Reviewed 23 May 2014

First off, I think a lot of folks are accidentally reviewing the Douang Deune 2 across this street, which seems to be more budget...

This is a fine place to base yourself for exploration of Vientiane, as it's just a couple hundred meters from the riverfront and the night market (which is great, cheap, and low pressure). We had a streetside room on the 5th floor for 200,000 kip and the A/C was great, the water pressure super strong, and the room was quite large. Although we opted not to have our room cleaned during our 4 night stay, the large-and-friendly housekeeping staff asked us every day, and always offered us towels, shampoo, and toilet paper.

As far as people saying the staff isn't friendly: everyone was pleasant, even the main guy behind the front desk. You can tell he doesn't suffer fools gladly, but he's pleasant enough. Honestly, I don't get why people freak out on Tripadvisor if the staff doesn't fall all over themselves kissing your butt. Why do you care? You're there to sleep, not make friends.

Wifi is tricky--the main dude was upfront about it not being strong in the rooms, but we had pretty solid wifi in our room (far from the router) most of the time.

Yeah, the hotel isn't 5 star, it's showing it's age a bit, but if you're looking in the $25USD price range and want to be in a good spot, with A/C, just go for it. Breakfast is simple but enough, but they do kick you out at 10 AM (and then lock the room and nothing happens there--why not let people sit there and use wifi?!?)

The bed was comfortable, the sheets clean, and yes there are ants, but there are teeny tiny ants EVERYWHERE in Vientiane, so get over it. That is my message to Asian Tripadvisor contributors right now: Get Over It. And yes, I DO have PMS.

Over & Out.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank QiDoctor
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This place was truly terrible, the staff were the worst I have encountered in 6 weeks in South East Asia, if your not in by 12 o clock you are locked out for the night, the Mosquitos are everywhere and you don't get provided with a net. The rooms get so unbelievably hot and the simple fan isn't near enough to cool you down for a good nights sleep, and that's if your lucky enough to have a bed with a fan! The showers were absolutely filthy and the stench from them was awful. Cannot recommend you find somewhere else to stay enough, a truly unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: If your looking for a good room your at the wrong guesthouse.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dan T
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Hotel should be ashamed to charge 33 dollars a night for a room. After checking in I was given a room that smelled like bleach. I quickly noticed that the bathroom had not been cleaned and when I went to sit on the bed there were ants crawling on it. I went down and without even an apology was given a new room. This room had two beds in it and I was told that I could not touch the second bed. Dirty sheets, pillows had covers on them that you would expect on an airplane. The wifi is a joke. It barely works in the lobby let alone in the room. Old lobby, dirty and torn up leather couches. Icing on the cake was when I asked for an outlet to charge my phone in the lobby, they told me there wasn't one, whereas most hotels would have said we don't have any but we would be glad to let you charge your phone behind the desk. I would normally say you get what you pay for but at this hotel I would say that you don't get what you pay for. Oh, location is excellent. Other than that save your money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Doungdeuane is a big, soulless hotel in central Vientiane. It's a little bit more expensive than the guest houses in the area, but it makes up for that in quality and cleanliness of the rooms. Rooms are nice size, and with fairly decent bathrooms, for Lao backpacking standards. Breakfast is included. The breakfast buffet is served in a truely hideously decorated room, but the breakfast itself is ok.
We were unlucky to be on the backside of the hotel, where we were woken up really early each morning because of construction works. Our friends who were on the other side of the corridor, were more lucky.
All in all this is a good hotel if you're looking for a decent room for a decent price, in a good location in Vientiane.

Room Tip: While were there (November 2013), big construction works were going on in the backside of the hotel...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends