“Le Silapa, Vientiane Laos”
Review of Le Silapa - CLOSED

Le Silapa
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Le Silapa Restaurant has been serving high quality food since 1999.Opened everyday from 11am to 11pm
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Great food! Great staff!!!
Try the veal or the lamb!!!
Also try the Creme Brulee!!!

Really worth it!!!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant over many years but I visited its new location twice in July 2013. The new location is located above the owner's more casual establishment, I-beam. The setting is very elegant with white table cloths and napkins. The menu is limited but it allows the chef to offer the best quality ingredients. The roasted eggplant and goat cheese is a favourite. Items from I-beam's menu may also be ordered and eaten upstairs.

Lunch specials are available as well as a buffet at I-beam. I plan to return to try these out.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I was recommended this restaurant by Australian travellers that frequent the restaurant with glowing reviews and I was not disappointed. My entree was Mid cooked salmon with Bloody Mary Aspic, wasabi, & fried river weed. To die for delicious. The flavours balanced & complemented each other to perfection, & the vodka shooter to finish was a bold flourish that I happily indulged in. For my main, I chose the Canadian Cod. I am a huge fan of fresh fish, & living on the coast, I frequently indulge. Laos may be land locked, but my Cod rivalled the best I have eaten. It was moist, subtle and beautifully complimented with a wicked red wine, shallot sauce. I cannot speak highly enough of my meal. I was also fortunate enough to be offered a taste of the crumbed brains ordered by a dining companion, & have earmarked them for my next visit....divine. As though the meals were not amazing enough on there own....the margarita I ordered was one of the best I have enjoyed anywhere. Perfect crust of salt, magic blend of ingredients to create, for me, the perfect drink.. I am a huge fan of this restaurant.

2  Thank Tuttsy
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We went to dinner at Le Silpa with high expectations, partly from good reviews on TA and partly from an attractive advertising spread in one of the local magazines.

Initial impressions were good. The dining room is large but nicely set up, the tables well spaced, with linen table cloths and napkins. The maitre d'/manager ( a French Canadian) was friendly, although he surprised us somewhat by announcing that everything on the menu was available - which suggests that this isn't usually the case.

First came a complimentary tapenade which was OK. My starter of Pate de foi gras was excellent, a cylinder of fine pate accompanied by a small piece of very tasty foi gras on toast. At 170,000 kip it is more than twice the price of the other starters, but worth it. Unfortunately my partner's starter was undistinguished, with about half a dozen small and fairly tasteless prawns swimming with some shredded 'veggies' (as described on the menu!) in a saffron curry sauce.

From there things went downhill. My main came in a casserole dish and consisted of a goodly number of large but fairly tasteless scallops and diced vegetables, drowned in a vanilla cream broth. My partner's Canadian black cod was poor, the small beetroot mesh and other flourishes on the plate not disguising a tasteless piece of fish. We are guessing that the seafood had all been frozen - pity they are not required to declare this on the menu as is the case in some other countries.

We didn't bother with dessert. The total price for two starters, two mains and three glasses of wine was around 760,000 kip (over A$100).

The wine list is fairly extensive and expensive, in keeping with most restaurants in Asia. There are a few acceptable wines by the glass at about 55,000 kip/200 ml glass.

We were disappointed with our meal. That there was only one other couple (also tourists) in the restaurant at 8pm on a Friday night suggests that all is not well with the restaurant. There is no website, and the dinner menu on the Facebook page is several months out of date. The Facebook page seems to be focussed mainly on advising people about the fixed price lunch specials which change regularly.

Perhaps we were wrong to ignore our second rule of restaurant eating (" don't order seafood in a landlocked country"). (The first is "don't eat anywhere that revolves".) However, if the chef is putting these dishes on the menu he or she should be confident in the quality of the produce they are using. Moreover, the meat dishes were largely sourced from Australia and NZ, which we don't need to travel to enjoy.

Perhaps a better starting point for La Silpa would be not "what should be on a French restaurant menu" but rather "what is the best produce we can source here, and how can we best cook it in a manner keeping with fine French cuisine". That approach can certainly produce some wonderful results (I still have fond memories from many years ago of a Nga Trang lobster in fresh vanilla bean sauce in the Metropole Hanoi).

For the moment however La Silpa cannot be recommended

2  Thank ctrunfree
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

This has always been a nice restaurant in Vientiane so took the opportunity to visit the new place (old location was closed) when I came on R&R.

Le Silapa is on the 2nd Floor while I-Beam is on the 1st. Same quality of food at Le Silapa which was great even with a different chef. Set menus for lunch still at LAK100,000 - still good value for money. Service still quite good. Wine selection nice. Ambiance is a bit different as the restaurant is perhaps twice as big as the previous place.

I-Beam features a buffet lunch for 50,000 - but my wife wanted Le Silapa. Will try I-Beam next time.

1  Thank edfaigmane