“Nice hotel, rude staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Avalon Hotel

and 1 more site!
Avalon Hotel
Ranked #39 of 94 Hotels in Vientiane
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Nice hotel, rude staff.”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I found the staff not helpful at all. The room was clean and small. The air con worked great. Cable and wifi were good. Showers were cold. Location was o.k. You had to cross 2 busy streets to get to main area. Vientiane has not been my favorite part of this trip. If had a re-do, I would skip vientiene and spend more time in luang Prabang. If you do go, check out Buddha park (40 dollar taxi) and le bodega (listed as le Carmege in lp book). Amazing food!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This hotel has the potential to be really good - its in a decent location, has nice furnishings, separate shower and toilet, nice looking rooms.... BUT: The internet did not work in our bedroom, the TV signal was terrible and it only had 3 channels (all Chinese), and the reception staff were really quite rude and dismissive. All of that being said, it was clean and the breakfast was good, the breakfast staff were nice and the rooms were quiet.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed here for one night and thank goodness for that! At first I was very pleased with this hotel. Each room was named after a flower,ours was called Tulip, the staff we were greeted by were welcoming andit appeared to be good value. We got in the tiny lift and went into our room!

Now, the first thing was that I found black hairs on my towel that I had to pick off! Then when I got into bed there was a tissue in my bed from a previous person or the cleaner I am not sure! At this point, I was of the opinion that these things happen.However, then I noticed a bug on the head rest and tried to knock it off. Again, I thought I am in Laos and off course there will be insects. However, then more insects started to crawl out of the crack in the head board, It was obvious that the bugs ( like earwigs) were living the head rest! I tried to sleep on the chair but this was far too uncomfortable. After a while, as I hate complaining, I decided to go downstairs and let a member off staff know about the bugs crawling all over the bed. This particular member of staff looked at me and laughed at me, told me there were no more rooms. There was noting he could do! He didn't offer tol ook or apologise, he just laughed at me! I never write negative reviews but I think the attitude in this hotel was despicable and for S.E.Asia this hotel is not good value for money and quite expensive!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank waterfalls_11

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The clean bedroom was a welcome respite after flying 12 time zones. AC took a little while to ramp up, but definitely keeps the temperatures down. All rooms were named after flowers. Only gripe is that the elevator opens to the front doors of hotel on the ground floor... just bad feng shui. It is walking distance to everything within old town center.

Room Tip: Close the windows to keep mosquitoes and heat out.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Sweden
Reviewed 15 April 2012

One often reads that Vientiane boast good hotels at moderate prices- well, the Avalon does not meet this description.To be sure to have a comfortable room, our travel agent suggested a suite. This "suite" was furnished in a very odd manner, with an old fridge and a brand new bath tub in the middle of a large room. The chairs were covered up to disguise disgustingly stained upholstrery, but the really bad experience started when we tried to get some sleep in the bed. The madrass was incredibly hard, and one could feel the springs as sharp pins in the back. We were able to get an extra blanket to cover the madrass, and in that way managed to relax a little.The room was at the top floor, so we walked down, but found the courage to take the tiny lift going up. We had to be quick in getting in when carrying bags, because the door shut so quickly, I got stuck the first night. I think this was my worst hotel experience ever, and my memories of Vientiane are (unjustly) influenced.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SwedenBecky
Dublin
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The Avalon Hotel was definitely when of the nicer hotels I stayed in while doing a tour of SE Asia. The room was comfortable and more importantly clean and the location was convenient. The staff were reasonable helpful although I really didnt have too much interaction from them. Based on my experience I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The lift is tiny so if you suffer from claustraphobia at all, avoid it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Bangkok
Reviewed 5 April 2012

4/1 I got the 2nd floor "sakura room", after check-in in 5 mins I got allergy. So I asked to have the other room on 4/5 when I back to Vientiane, and then the lady said " ok" . But on 4/5 I check-in, they still gave me the same room, I can't believe it!! When I asked the staff to change the other room for, you know WHAT. The staff said " sorry , this is your room" , so I ASKED TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER. They caledl to her, and then I still get the same answer " This is your room". I am so angry "HOW TERRIBLE THIS HOTEL IS". I am so tired after 8 hours driving from lpb. There is nothing I can say about this hotel because this hotel is less than a sand.

Room Tip: don't stay in this hotel!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business