“Okay place, but with housekeeping from hell”
Review of Avalon Hotel

and 1 more site!
Avalon Hotel
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
San Francisco, California
“Okay place, but with housekeeping from hell”
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I had a tiny $15/night single room with no TV, but with wifi. Other than the housekeeping, the place was fine, though the staff's English wasn't very good.

The main problem I had was with housekeeping. Two times in one day they walked into my room without knocking, which angered me. Just because I'm a guest in their hotel gives them no excuse to not respect my privacy. After this I kept telling them I didn't want housekeeping. It simply wasn't worth the hassle just for the service of having them make my bed and give me some towels and soap every day. The next day I told them I didn't want house keeping, but they defied my wishes and made up the room after I left.

The worst experience I had was on the final day of my stay. I told them it was fine to clean the room, since a bit of trash had accumulated. They cleaned it, but then left the door unlocked. Because I had hundreds of dollars of computer equipment, ipod, etc. this could have been disastrous. Luckily nothing was stolen. I'm not sure I'd ever want to stay there again. Is a cheap daily rate worth risking theft?

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank urbanrodent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We arrived in Vientiane before lunch so had plenty of time to find somewhere suitable at the right price. Everything from the comfy with a handful of English language satellite channels to the bed to the TV with a handful of satellite channels to the furniture to the bathroom fittings were brand new. Lots of atmosphere in the room and the hotel. The Avalon is a little out of the way, which made it quiet apart from the barking dog who didn't let up for the three nights we were there and more than once invited a fried to his party. There was also a couple of either very large houses or guesthouses being built out the back. and look as though they won't be finished for quite some time. Rooms were spotless, but the towels, although new, were a bit on the thin side, and there was a pleasant roof top seating area. It was a couple of minutes walk to the night market where you could buy whatever cooked hot or cold food you could want, and about a minute walk got you to a small supermarket which sold almost everything you would need. No pharmacies in the immediate area, we had to walk for about 35 minutes to the morning market to find a cluster of 5 or 6.

Perhaps it's just the time we were there, but the Hare and Hounds pub was empty on Saturday and Sunday night and the upstairs bar at the Bor Pnn Nyang bar/restauenat seemed to be favorite for watching the football.

What I found very dissapointing was the refusal to even discuss a better rate - we'd been there for 3 nights, were planning on another 7 to 10 nights and they didn't budge. I could understand it if they were full, but a genuine estimate would be 35% - 40% occupancy. Must be nice when you can afford to turn down business, eh?

Last and least, the Wi-Fi was free but almost unusable, and I have a very powerful antenna booster.

Stayed January 2008
south east asia
Reviewed 12 January 2009

a friend living in vientiane recommended this new place.
positives: good price, charming style, new, clean, simple breakfast included.excellent hot water and water pressure (real water heater!)
decent staff, most anyways. had a room with a balcony which was nice to open in the morning. cnn and a few watchable channels in english on tv.
negatives: we reserved for one big bed, and recieved two twin beds that couldnt really be put together because of a built in nightstand between. slight noise early morning of barking dogs... though not really there fault. breakfast closes at 10, which is a bit early if youre on a relaxed holiday. but overall its a good affordable placeand we would stay there again for sure.

• Liked — charm, value
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple