Hotel Khamvongsa
Ansara Hotel(Vientiane)
Hotel Lao(Vientiane)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsloft roomscolonial stylethe riverceiling fannight marketyogurtsmall hotelno liftsingle roomcharming hotellao coffeewould highly recommend this hotelthree nightslaundry serviceair conditioningroom was largevisiting vientiane
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I hesitate to write up the Khamvongsa - it is a small place with a growing customer base, and a still reasonable price. Giving the good review it deserves will either make it more difficult to get a reservation or pay more. But ok, here goes. The hotel is charming, quite central, close to the river (I could use my Thai cell phone to make calls home to Bangkok), well done, clean, elegant in a Spartan way. The breakfast was excellent - I always had the European option - a very good croissant, warm each time, yogurt with honey, freshly squeezed juice, strong Lao coffee. Highly recommended. The wifi worked. The TV had the usual channels. The bed was hard, as they are in Lao (with the euro-guest list, I would recommend they get some bed toppers to soften things up a bit). For $25 / night, it is one of the great deals of Asia.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Harkish
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I had good experience in this hotel, my room was nice with big bathroom and window, I slept so well on comfortable bed. Lovely staffs
Breakfast was tasty and they served in the room as my requirement, Hightly recommend

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Having spent some time in Laos, we were suspicious that we could get the standard we wanted for $30/night, and kept rereading tripadvisor reviews for reassurance. This is one of those rare places that isn't just pleasantly surprising, but substantially exceeds expectations. Efficient and friendly staff, good size rooms where everything worked as required, well located and with a good breakfast, you can trust the reviews, it really is good. Don't expect a 4 star hotel, but if you want clean, comfortable value for money, don't hesitate.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank saysim
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We stayed at Khamvongsa for 2 nights in mid-January. The hotel was very comfortable, with a very large bedroom, nice furnishings, etc. The bathroom had good pressure, hot water, and separate stall shower.

Location is very good. The hotel is close to the waterfront and the Chinatown area. Across the street is the best massage we had in Laos at Sabaidee Massage, and it's only 2 blocks from Makphet, where we had our tastiest meal in Laos.

Breakfast is good if you're staying for 1 or 2 nights, but I can see how it would get old if you were there longer. Really good French-press coffee, bad juice, average croissants and eggs, good yogurt and fruit, so-so waffles.

For the experience ...Yes they serve breakfast, but the feel of Khamvongsa is certainly that of a hotel. The staff was helpful when we needed anything, but the service felt a bit impersonal. There is nothing wrong with this, but not exactly what we expected given other TripAdvisor reviews.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2010

The hotel arranged for a taxi to pick us up from the airport ( they had our name on a card to greet us. They also arranged for them to take us back on departure. $7/each way.

Rooms are spotless, nice shiny hardwood floors, bathrooms have new tile showers, new toilets and sinks. Beds are hard but we slept well.

In the morning they serve 3 breakfasts, I choose yoghurt with fruit plate and a croissant, juice and tea/coffee. My husband choose a waffle which he enjoyed with juice, tea/coffee. 3rd choice was an American breakfast. Eggs, bacon etc, I think.

Staff were very obliging and friendly. They confirmed our air flights and checked the times for us. They held our bags in safe keeping while we went out for the day as our flight didn't go until 1800 hrs. Location was very central, we walked everywhere without any problems.

There is free wireless internet so that is a treat. In our room wirless so spotty so they loaned us the cable to hook up which was great.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends. It is perfect not posh but everything we needed. Cleanliness and safety are my first concerns.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple