“Good value clean and spacious room”

Aroon Residence Vientiane
Ranked #21 of 197 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Good value clean and spacious room”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

The value was was so good the rooms were so cheap cheap cheap and wow the location was a great location. Don't drink the local water if u wanna die as I almost died having this water was sick for 2 weeks. Staff so friendly and helpfull and heave great smiles

Room Tip: Talk to the staff about anything they are so good
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Plymouth
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at the Aroon for seven nights and really loved the hotel, our room was really nice and fully equipped with a good air conditioning and a fridge, the bathroom was also nice with everything in full working order. The hotel is also without doubt the cleanest place we have ever stayed everything was immaculate.
More than all that though the staff were just great, Alex the Manager and the other members of staff were brilliant and nothing was to much trouble.
As for location I have been left confused by some of the other reviews on TA, the Aroon is in the city centre, you step out of the hotel and everything is close by! We thought it was in a great location.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I arrived here after coming back from a long trip through Laos with a motorbike. It wasn't to easy to find, as it is tucked away in a back alley and hard to spot from the "main road". Once you are there, you might appreciate the tucked away location, as it filters the noise from the street. One word of caution though. If you arrive at the Ekkamai bus station, it's a 5 minute walk (if you can find it), meaning its not far away from your arrival place. But as soon as you want to go to the river side, be in for a surprise. It's a though walk to anywhere in the city. It will take you 15 to 20 minutes to go to the riverside area and while this okay by day, i don't want to do this, half drunk around midnight (remember, its not easy to find).

When i arrived i was told that my booked room category (superior room) was not available, as there was defect with the air condition, which seemed to have flooded some rooms. So, i would be downgraded to a standard room and get a deduction of the standard room rates (3 USD, yeah). Well, as everyone was friendly, i was OK with that, though i didn't like it, but i guess things like that do happen from time time.

When coming into my room i was positivly suprised. My room was big enough, my bed looked comfy (it actually was comfy), fitted out with everything that i needed (including two desks, bathrobe, fridge (though with no drinks in it, if i remember correctly), tv, air-con and small toiletries. When i tried to open my closet, i had some slight problem with the door knob of the closet breaking of, but i guess it's not a new hotel anymore and it needs some maintenance here and there (well, there you go, i had a door knob breaking of, some other guys probably had a flooded room). The bathroom was good looking to, clean and not as abused as some other bathrooms i had seen the days before.

All in all the room was quite okay for the money paid and not worse than my room the Khamvongsa hotel.

What put me off was the service. Don't get me wrong, people here are very friendly, no question. But good intentions are not always enough. I asked the day before my departure about the airport transfer, which is included in the price. They told me for my flight (8:30) i should leave at 7:00 at the latest. I said i wanted to go at 7:15 and in the end we both agreed at 7:15. When i was at breakfast the next morning (as good or bad as most other hotels in Laos, but nothing special at least), i managed to be ready at 7:03. I told him, okay, i'm ready to go. But he insisted that i should wait for some other guests, as they have scheduled some airport transfer for them too. After some thinking he tried to call the other guests, if they could go a bit earlier. The first guy he called (at 7 am !) told him over the phone that he wanted to go at 11:30, not 7:30. Ouch... He didn't even call the second guy, as it was 7:15 already and he just told me that i should wait till 7:30, for the other guest. As i feared that i might miss my flight, i just walked off. He had just enough time to get me to the airport and get his single van back to the hotel until 7:30, when we would have started at 7:00, but no...he was just helpless and i understand it somehow. If you have only one van, you have some logistic problems if you schedule to many transfers in a small time frame. But then again, don't do it. Don't tell me that i should be ready at 7 and then at 7, tell me again that i should wait for 30 more minutes, just to risk loosing my flight.

Verdict: It's not a bad hotel, the rooms are quite adequate and with the airport transfer (if they make it work), it's even a really good deal for your money. People are friendly, but their abilities to provide professional service are a bit limited. Things like the airport transfer shouldn't happen. But things like my downgrade shouldn't happen, too and they show that they maybe do not focus enough on things like maintenance. But, for a short overnight it's really okay, if you can forgive the bad location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Malaysia
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The hotel is clean and quiet. Breakfast is adequate and the French loaf is the best I have had. They organized our 1 day tour with their own van which was good. The center of the city is about 10 mins walk (a wee bit far,but there are tuk tuks around) and the evening food market is about 5 minutes away. Alex, the Manager, is excellent, speaks very good English and obliging in every way. We had a good stay and would recommend this hotel. No swimming pool or gym but excellent value.

Room Tip: Mosquitos a plenty in Laos everywhere, we were thankful we brought along a fly zapper!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank princessmalaysia
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and found the place quite reasonable. We were on the ground floor next to the lobby, and only a view of a wall out our window, but the place was quite booked. Booking was a bit of an ordeal as there was a lot of back-and-forth with mistaken availability. It's a bit out of town, 10 min walk, not bad, but there's nothing too close in terms of restaurants, etc. Breakfast is just OK. We were given the key to the room next door by mistake at one point and found that it opened our door, so security felt a bit concerning, as there was no safe (or perhaps there was and there was a language misunderstanding when I asked). Wifi was spotty, but best closest to the front desk, sometimes right up again the window of the office next door, which is where the router must be. Fair amount of mold in the shower, shampoo and soap isn't replaced with room cleaning. The free airport transfer is a nice bonus, though. Not sure why we leave for the airport 2 hours before (there's only one gate), but we were told this by 2 different people. Sheets were clean, room clean, other than the mold. Loved Vientiane, great restaurants.

Room Tip: I think the executive rooms may offer more substance, but they were all booked.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Would def recommend this place. So peaceful and helpful staff. On arrival we were upgraded to an exec suite which was lovely. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff - a truly pleasant stay.the breakfast was ample with a good choice.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian S
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This is tacky but...I felt really at home here.

Let's see. There was the hassle-free (and free!) pick-up at the airport, welcome drinks, smiling and very accommodating staff 24/7. What impressed me about the staff was their ability to anticipate a guest's needs. When I was standing in front of the coffee machine, a staff was quick to approach and asked if I wanted her to prepare coffee for me. When we returned tired from outside, they were quick to give us a cold drink. When the double room we originally booked was unavailable, they upgraded us to an executive room at no extra charge. There was even a night when we were invited to a private party with home-cooked meals prepared in the hotel's kitchen.

As for the rooms, they were very spacious, clean and comfortable. The design of the rooms were a bit old-fashioned but I guess it's part of the hotel's charm. The hot-and-cold shower was always a comforting amenity whenever we returned tired and sweaty from roaming hot and dusty Vientiane. I also liked that there was a wide range of choices for breakfast.

With very affordable rates (starting at USD 30+/room), Aroon is an excellent choice in Vientiane.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends