Auberge Sala Inpeng (Mekong Riverside Inn)
Ranked #4 of 197 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Pleasant”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

After reading many reviews and contacting a few accommodation places in Vientiane, I decided to book Sala Inpeng even though I was a little concerned that maybe I wouldn't be happy with my decision and have to find somewhere else to stay after the first night or two. I was so relieved when I arrived and checked in to find friendly staff and a very comfortable room in a little garden oasis in the heart of Vientiane. I extended my stay from two nights to four. I had to change rooms once, only for the last night, because I only asked the day prior if I could stay for the fourth night. My bags were moved for me as I was out and about at the time for me to move and everything was in order. The room was a little more expensive and at the back of the property which was very nice and quiet so I would recommend if you can afford a few more dollars go with one of these rooms. If not, the front rooms all with an ensuite are more than adequate. Although there wasn't a kettle in the room if I asked for hot water in the evening one of the staff would go and get it for me. Despite the lack of English, the staff were helpful and offered suggestions of where to eat and warned me about looking after my belongings when I went bike riding. All in all a good choice and great stay in Vientiane.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms don't have mosquitto nets on the windows and the floors are open timber so you...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gypsymaria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We are backpacking and decided to 'splash out' for a three night stay at Sala Inpeng.
The guesthouse is set a stone's throw from all the action in a quiet, shady side street. The rooms are pretty and well maintained dark-wooden bungalows in a lush garden.
For the $30 we paid per night, we felt we got excellent value. Everything is super clean, rooms are thoughtfully furnished, air con works well and a light but very tasty breakfast is served on your private terrace every morning. Little things like European magazines to read add to the relaxing atmosphere.
All in all, we had a great stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to those looking for a relaxing, comfortable and quiet stay in Vientiane.

Tip: if you do not already have US $ to pay for the room, I would recommend changing your kip at the BCEL bank by the river as the guesthouse gives a very poor exchange rate (7500 kip vs more than 8500 kip with the bank).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
bombay
Reviewed 27 April 2013

It was a lovely experience staying at Sala Inpeng. The staff is very helpful although they speak much english. The hotel is walking distance from the mekong river. The only downside was a big party happening next door for the whole day which was very noisy. We had an overall great time staying there,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We arrived to the Auberge Sala Inpeng in March 2013.
Since we were told this place is amazing, and usually fully booked, we extra reserved/booked a month in advance. We reserved for 2 nights and told the then friendly owner, that we will arrive late in the evening at the GH, because our flight lands only at 22pm and will arrive around 23pm.
The moment we arrived to the guest house, we got our room and told the girl who works there that we will stay for two nights. She told us we have to fill the check-in form only tomorrow.
The room was fine so far, though the bathroom was not cleaned properly.
Still the bedroom was nice and we had AC.
The price for the room was about 25$.
On the next day we had breakfast which was nice and fresh.
We filled out the check-in form and had some nice small talk with the girl.
We told her that we are now going to see the Buddha park and asked her for some information where to book buses since we were planning to go up north the next day.
She said, she will give us all the information when we will come back.
After we came back to the GH (2 hours later), we suddenly saw two other women sitting in our room.
After we asked the one of the woman, what they are doing in our room, she told us that they had booked the room the day before.....
We went to speak with the girl from the check-in and the owner and apparently nobody paid attention to the fact that we booked for 2 nights and not only one night! And this 1 month in advance!
Since we NEVER checked-out in any from and even took the room key with us, when we left to see the Buddha park, how could they understand that we moved out?
But the worst thing happened, was, that actually our entire belongings were THROWN out of the room, partly packed, partly open, into the entrance of the GH reception, where many other people sit and drink coffee!
We requested to speak with the hotel owner but he did not remember that we booked for 2 nights.
Since everything was done via emails, we showed him the emails as proof but still the owner of the guest house told us, that it was OUR mistake!!!
And he was not willing to fix his mistake and could not offer us a new room, since every room was taken.
After half an hour arguing, we packed all our things and left the place!
I can understand when a reservation goes wrong.... but that the GH owner (even after he saw the proof via email) still told us it was our mistake, and let the staff throw out openly all our belongings into the entrance, this is not ALL RIGHT!!!!
Luckily nothing got stolen!
We definitely don't recommend this guest house!

Room Tip: Check your reservation!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nicky F
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Really lovely place with a little courtyard/garden in the city, the rooms are kind of like bungalows around it and the have little balconies on which you get served a lovely breakfast! Good location and friendly staff, highly recommended will be back when I get to Loas again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This was the nicest guest house I stayed at during my five weeks in Laos, travelling from the south to north, and well worth the mid-range price. I stayed here four nights. Best to reserve ahead because its excellent reputation makes it a popular choice for discerning travellers.
First, the location is great. Most of the side streets that run off the main drag along the river are busy thoroughfares chock-a- block with hotels, restaurants, and shops. The Auberge Sala Inpeng is on a narrow residential laneway off the main street, so is very peaceful and quiet. But you are steps from the main strip with all its cafes, and the night market on the river promenade.
Second, the buildings - several traditional dark wood bungalows on low stilts - are beautiful and set in an attractive intimate garden of shrubs, flowering plants and small trees. You wake up to hear birds singing and to have your breakfast served on the lovely front porch. There are attractive decorative touches in the entrance lobby that separates the two halves of the bungalow.
Third, the room was very comfortable with a nice bathroom and a good funtional wardrobe-desk. There were bedside tables with reading lamps, always a pleasure, and curtained windows on two walls that were screened and could be opened. I had reserved a twin room but as my travel partner was not able to come I was on my own with two beds. The staff on their own initiative offered to put the beds together to provide me with a single king size bed.
Fourth, the ladies who staffed the front desk and brought the breakfast were gracious, welcoming and helpful. They offered to arrange a tuk tuk pick up for me at the front gate for my early morning flight onward.
Breakfast is a croissant, piece of bagette, butter, jam, plate of fresh cut fruit, and your choice of coffe or tea. The croissants were buttery and delicious, good quality, and there was fresh milk for the coffee. It's all presented beautifully with pretty textile placemats.
The wifi was fine and there was lots of hot water. I slept like a log here and really enjoyed my stay. The recommended herbal sauna and massage place is only a couple of blocks away down a back lane and was excellent - patronized by plenty of locals, always a good sign.
I'd highly recommend this guest house.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank emptynester48
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would return to it. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Breakfast on the patio is a nice touch and the crossiants are delicious, although I would pefer a heartier breakfast. The staff is very friendly and helpful, although the English is limited. The location is one a quiet street in the city and not far from the Mekong River with many resturants and shops in walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple