“Still a good place to stay in Vientiane”

Family Boutique Hotel
Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Stayed here for two nights in January 2013, after spending one night here back in 2010. Last time I had a room without a window, this time it had a window to the outside world, without much of a view however.

The room was relatively spacious, with a good firm bed, and good aircon. It also came with a small bar fridge/minibar with basic selection of drinks, small LCD TV (which I switched on once to reveal a large number of Asian and global channels including BCC News, however most were a bit snowy), a full-size cupboard for hanging clothes, and a small working desk.

When checking in the receptionist gave me a piece of paper with the wifi login details however I did not manage to actually get online neither with my laptop nor my cell phone which connect perfectly fine everywhere else so I suspect a configuration error in the hotel's wifi setup. I used the internet at restaurants etc. on my phone so had no true requirement to use at the hotel and did not report the issue.

Breakfast was included and this is served in the ground floor (Vietnamese) restaurant. There's 8 plated choices, half of which (more or less) are Western and the other half Asian. You get a menu with the 8 choices and their pictures and then choose two items per person (for example fresh fruit and fried eggs), as well as two drinks from the drinks menu (simple choices, for example orange juice and tea). I found it adequate, particularly given the price paid for the room. The breakfast was OK.

Overall I would rate this hotel a good 3-star. Despite its name, I did not see any families there, the other guests appeared to be mostly Western couples as well as some local businessmen.

Staff were very friendly and helpful throughout my stay, smiling and assisting with some questions etc.

The hotel is located close to downtown Vientiane, basically you walk down the street and cross a road, then down another street and you're at the "fountain place" (not sure about its official name) which is more or less the touristic centre of Vientiane. Around that area are many good French restaurants as well as popular hangouts such as Khop Chai Deu which is an old-time favorite with an extensive popular menu of snacks and meals, as well as a good selection of drinks. And then one more street and you're at the banks of the Mekong. So an easy location.

I found that taxi drivers know the Family Hotel but many tuk-tuk drivers had to ask around.

Overall recommended, and will most likely stay here again when returning to Vientiane in future.

Room Tip: Windowless rooms are cheaper.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 January 2013

The rooms were spotlessly clean.

The staff at the front desk were hit and miss and always on the net. The breakfast was OK but certainly not brilliant. The bathrooms were large and well done. The rooms were small but well done. Yes I would stay here again

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed here a week. Beds not very comfortable (very hard!), rooms quite dark, but staff quite friendly. The location is quite good (near centre of town) and within easy walking distance. Breakfast ok as well.,

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Our room was 604 on the top floor, and it was TINY! We asked for a King Double room and we could barely make room for our bags. The front desk was on and off in terms of service. Often when we went downstairs to ask for help from the front desk the staff would be sitting on Facebook or surfing the Web in other ways. We asked for a Taxi to go to the Australian Embassy's Medical Clinic and they charged us 80 000 kip there and our driver got lost 4 times on the way and kept having to make another phone call. When we returned to the hotel we were able to get a taxi for 30 000 kip. We were very disappointed in the thieving taxi driver THEY had suggested for us. Besides that the room was cleaned, but hot water did not work well. Again, like I first said, there are many other good budget hotels for less. I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before paying or choosing it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Great value if you consider the included breakfast (each guest can choose two of eight options). The rooms were clean, management was helpful, and the location is good. The bathrooms were large, and everything worked (A/C, hot water heater, etc.). Nothing fancy, but solid all around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

nice bathroom. nice air-condition. the best part is the super comfortable bed. feels like want to sleep all day long. near to fountain, near to night market, near to That Dam (Black Stupa), near to convenient store.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

My first time in Lao. Bit of a hassle getting there what with the visa and the number of transport legs I had to take getting there. So the warm welcome I received at Family Hotel made the journey worth it. Can't fault the hotel in every way but I must warn people getting a taxi from Friendship Bridge to Vientiane. They are thieving robbing crooks. Advertised fare is 300 Baht (the only good thing is they take Thai currency so no need to change money) Five minutes into the journey the driver tells me it is now 600 Baht to centre. I said "no you said 300" He said no 300 and get out now or 600 to centre. I stuck to my guns. He got really aggressive shouting at me to get out but I didn't. Ok I'm brave or stupid however you look at it but I'm concerned other people will be ripped off or kicked out in the middle of nowhere. Get a bus - they are frequent and stupidly cheap - I learnt later. Back to the hotel - comfortable, central, lovely decor, good breakfast and very helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2012