“Why return ?”

Ranked #48 of 410 Restaurants in Vientiane
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: La Signature Restaurant is located above the lobby of Ansara Hotel. French fine dining carte for dinner, elegant set up, great views and extensive wine selection. Light dishes selection for lunch with 2 set menus on offer at 8$ and 14$ Free wifi
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have been brought at La Signature by a friend a few times over the last years. What happened here ? Where are the ambitions of the beginning ? Last time, the set lunch was very ordinary, chicken in red wine sauce, dry and tasteless. How is this possible ? The chocolate mousse was nice. And the restaurant is empty. A pity, in such a nice setting, with the view on the inner yard of the hotel, etc.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This restaurant aims at being the hip place in town. Deinitely not so. The kitchen is nothing but discreet, offering a very poor choice of dishes, its atmosphere being very ordinary.

What left me furiously speechless was the treatment I had from the laziest, most detestable, and unpolite waiter I've ever come across with in my life.
After having arrived late at the hotel, I asked the receptionist checking me in if it was still possible to have dinner. Answer: "Of course, sir!".
Wrong. Right after sitting, the guy waiting the tables showed a very annoyed attitude, telling me to be quick, as the kitchen was closing. Trying to choose something took me a couple of minutes more than usual, seen the lack of choice. After having been pressed a second time by the waiter, I went for a fillet mignon, which I did not want, but which was the only thing meeting my taste.
While eating the meat the guy came again, pushing me to choose some dessert, "as the kitchen is closing". At that point I told the guy to wait until I was done with my first course, asking to bring some more water, instead. He left snorting.
So I chose my dessert. While eating, the guy came over one more time, bringing me the bill I hadn't requested yet. I told him I first wanted a coffee. At that point he abruptly said the bar was closed, and that "I'll have to do it myself". I couldn't believe my ears and told him he'd better do so. Meanwhile, the two young ladies I had seen at the bar were still there, helping him rearrange the place. I finally had the (horrendous) espresso and paid: $49,40!
I left the place berserk and incredulous for a) the lack of communication between reception counter and restaurant, and b) such a treatment - and price! - with that obnoxious being still looking at me smugly.
The day after he was still there, of course, turning around the bar room idly. It's then obvious that's the kind of "work" he's used to. If something different comes his way he finds it disturbing.

I then suggest everybody to simply turn the corner and have a meal at Makhpet: nice atmosphere, excellent food and service for a much lower price. No doubt "La Signature" will never see me again.

3  Thank Gfpr
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Decided to bring my wife out on a lunch date - we were both pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Quite well prepared and tasty! Will be back.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I wanted to invite a friend for dinner and I wanted it to be special, so I decided to go to this place. We both had the degustation menu with the wines. Great tastes, good wines, smooth service. A very good experience. Very expensive for Laos, but still a bargain compared to prices in Europe.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

have been there with client for business lunch, luckily client could talk local laguage, as otherwise we would have communication problem.
The food was lovely and the wine by glass quite fine. but all together it fits not for such abience and price, staff should be better trained, not only in english but also in attandance.
It is located in Ansara Hotel