“Very Disappointing”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had been waiting to try this place as a few times when we went to go there it was closed. When we finally found it open, we were extremely disappointed. We ordered the sour fish dish, when it came out it was not fish but rather fish eggs. When we called the waitress, thinking she had made a mistake, she replied that they had run out of fish so she had given us fish eggs instead. She seemed annoyed that we were not happy with this and wanted us to just take the fish eggs. We looked at the menu again and ordered our second choice, which was also unavailable. Finally we ordered Lao sausage, which came out cold and tasted ordinary at best. We also order Or Lam with beef, which had the tiniest pieces of beef I have ever seen served. No apologies we offered for the wrong dish being given, and the bill took an extremely long time to be brought. Service in general was very slow. I am usually not that fussy when I eat out and don't expect Western levels of service, but there is really nothing positive I can say about our experience here.

3  Thank HillsLikeElephants

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We went to Amphone, because it is directly across from our hotel and it was pouring down. Even with the rain we were able to sit outside and enjoy the cool evening in pleasant surroundings.
The food was well made, and we liked most dishes we had. The citronella chicken was excellent and so was the duck in herbs. Some other dishes - a vegetable stew and pickled veggies - were not to our liking. That does not mean they were badly made or anything, it just means they were not made for our palate.
The staff is pleasant and tries to get everything right,
Only the prices were a bit to high for the quality offered. Therefore,4 out of 5.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Almost everything about Amphone was delightful. The service, the outdoor seating, the food (especially) and the wine. The staff were friendly and helpful and actually took me seriously when asked for 'proper Isaan spicy'. Oh my God! The spicy prawn salad was hot enough to stun an elephant - Just right :-)
As mentioned by others the steamed fish was a delight but, truth be told, all of the food was excellent.
Only downsides were the early-ish (10:30) closing time and the fact that I got mild food poisoning! But I'd go back again in a flash which says it all really. My partner said she wanted to marry the chef!

Reviewed 26 July 2013

After a bigger than usual lunch elsewhere we ventured here intent on grazing lightly.

We started with the citronella pork - minced pork wrapped in lemongrass and grilled - which came with a great spicy/salty lime sauce. We also ordered a delicious Luang Prabang fried river weed, which has to be the world's best beer accompaniment. If I could set up a stall selling this at the Melbourne Cricket Ground I'd make a fortune. The weed was strips like fine parchment, folded over, and within the folds sesame seeds and other nice stuff (garlic?). YUM!

By now the taste buds had been tickled, so we pushed on to explore the menu a little more, with a beef salad (pleasant, but the beef a little more on the chewy side than we'd like) and a Hor Mok, which wasn't like the Thai version of the dish as all, with pieces of fish cooked with fennel and coconut milk, not emulsified like they do it across the Mekong, served with fresh fennel fronds. Very tasty!

As the rain had kept away we say outside, which was nice apart for the odd argument between the local canine population in the Soi.

It wasn't the cheapest meal you can get in Vientiane but the quality and finesse in the cooking makes it very good value for money.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We went looking for this restaurant & stumbled over it by accident (would have helped if we had a map!) Thank you to the contributors on the forum for recommending it. It was a very quiet night & we were the only ones outside for most of the night. The stand out dishes were the citronella chicken & the lemon steamed fish. Seriously yummy! My husband ordered the Om Larb (I think that is what it was called) & he wasn't fussed on it. Nothing wrong with it, just not to his taste. Someone ordered the river weed, which was interesting & we are glad we ordered it, but probably wouldn't again. Lots & lots of other dishes & drinks for around 560,000 Kip (about $80 Aussie dollars - ok my calculations are not 100% accutate - but close to) It was a great night & the staff were really accomodating & lovely. Definitely recommend it.

2  Thank peegeeSydney