“Very good Lao food !”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The food at Amphone is very good and…. very interesting as they use some quite uncommon ingredients in some dishes. An excellent option if you want to discover some original Lao food. All dishes are well prepared and well presented. The choice of wine is good as well. A good experience that I recommend when visiting Laos.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I went to Amphone for lunch on a Saturday -- I had seen the place busy the night before and was quite impressed with the atmosphere that I saw from outside -- so decided to try it out. The place was almost empty (only another table was occupied) but it took forever for anybody to approach me. My first order was not available (beef dish) but it took time for them to let me know. I am familiar with the slow pace of people here (i work with them), but I expected a bit more energy (better service?) in a more upscale place. A young waiter set my table -- and I was mildly taken aback because most of the things he put in front of me were torn, chipped, or broken (see photos), and the linen and napkin were not only very wrinkled (unironed) but had holes. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know if this is typical of the restaurant -- to emphasize the homey, natural setting feel which indeed I was starting to feel in the atmosphere around -- but I thought they were exaggerating it. I knew there was nothing personal about it, but I felt offended that such a place should think it appropriate to use broken and torn things for their diners. The management should retire those dishes and those linen -- this is supposed to be a decent restaurant, for goodness sake!

The food arrived -- the ingredients were wonderfully fresh, and not overcooked, but they were so bland and lacking in taste. Overall, not really worth the price I paid for them.

I came here prepared to be wowed, as many reviewers seemed to really like it -- but the place fell short of my expectations.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had a wonderfull night at that Restaurant.
The Food was more than delicious, Service was extremly friendly and the place is really unique!
I would totally recommend Sunny dried beef and chicken in Pandang leaves - jummy!!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We had some of these dishes elsewhere in Lao but at Amphone they were perfectly executed. I really enjoyed the steamed fish and the chicken citronelle. But really everything was amazing and loved the heat!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Tucked in a small side street close to the center of the city its easy to miss. There is an extensive outdoor seating area and a reasonably large air conditioned indoor area. The decor is simple and rather sparse. There is a good menu of traditional Lao food, generally not "dumbed down" for Westerners. There are a number of "set menus" in helpings designed for one person but quite large, and very reasonably priced. But the wine list is the star of the show! An extensive list of Australian wines of reasonable to good quality at very competitive prices compared to other restaurants in Vientiane. The service is efficient and friendly. A good place to gain some experience of the local cuisine in a comfortable setting.

2  Thank donandkeo