“Excellent rooms and helpful friendly staff”
Review of Win Hotel

Win Hotel
Ranked #40 of 199 Vientiane B&B and Inns
“Excellent rooms and helpful friendly staff”
Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

Great range of rooms for different budgets. Rooms all kept well cleaned. Very central just 2 blocks from the river. Staff incredibly helpful and alway friendly. Only drawback is that like most hotels in vientianne it is a bit overpriced but still great value in relation to what you get for the same money any where else.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I booked our 2 night stay through Agoda based upon the good reviews. As I was in a hurry I failed to cross reference reviews with TA. Fatal error. I later read someone had reported money stolen from their room, allegedly by a member of staff and that management failed to take appropriate action, (a not too dissimilar experience we later shared).

On our first morning after breakfast I realised with horror I had left my handbag in the dining/lobby area. I raced down to the reception but there was no bag. I asked the male receptionist who spoke relatively good English if he had seen it. He said no. I began to panic. The bag contained 2 credit cards and over £300 ($480) We never usually carry this much money but were planning to travel to remote places. The receptionist said perhaps the small tour group of elderly Vietnamese may have taken it by ‘mistake’ and he would speak with them upon their return later that afternoon. I thought this highly unlikely.

Upon noting their CCTV camera I asked to see the footage. For the next hour we were subjected to a barrage of excuses as to why staff ‘could’ not access the CCTV. We waited patiently. The receptionist asked us not to call the police and kept asking us to return in a hour. In the end we had to go to the bank to withdraw some cash.

One hour later we returned and were met by a smiling receptionist and owner. The receptionist told us a ’guest’ had found my bag. I was overjoyed (temporarily) until I realised that over £200 had been taken. I relayed this to the receptionist whose previously good English mysteriously began to evaporate. The owner offered to reimburse us half of the money, which we initially refused (I felt guilty at having left my bag in the first place). We tried to elicit some more information but were met with a blank expression and ‘feigned’ ignorance .

We spoke with other disgruntled guests who felt they had been ‘short-changed’ by the receptionist when applying for visas. Later that day we asked the receptionist again if we could view the CCTV film. He refused. We explained we would like to see and talk to the ‘guest’ who had ’handed’ back my bag. He told us that the Vietnamese tour group had checked out at 3 pm (we later saw them return at 8 pm). We finally asked him to call the police. He refused. He then started to shout at us and became very aggressive. We retreated to our room and checked out early the next day.

There were other examples during our stay where any requests made were treated with either total disdain or complete indifference. Breakfast although tasty was very small and when we asked for either milk, sugar, tea or butter we were simply told that there was none. Any good points we might have identified about this hotel has been obliterated by the rude attitude and behaviour of staff.

We are seasoned travellers in SE Asia and for the last five years have lived in central Asia. Until this experience we have never been subjected to such ill treatment and rude behaviour by staff at any hotel. Thankfully we did not let this early experience in Laos mar our future travels in this lovely country.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here one night as part of a G Adventures group. The room was clean and the AC worked well. Breakfast is provided in the morning. The Wi-Fi only worked in the hotel lobby. The location is okay - a couple of blocks from the busy part of Vientiane.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2012

When we arrived at Win hotel everything seemed normal. I noticed a room rate sheet when I was at the counter and noticed the rate was half what I had paid on Agoda. When I inquired about the rate of the room for staying an extra night, the clerk told me it was the same as whatever I paid on Agoda. I pointed to the sheet with room rates and he said it was for another hotel. It clearly had the old name on the sheet but I saw him show these exact rates to people off the street.

The TV didn't work well and the wifi is weak except on the main floor.

The breakfast is alright but if you ask for more coffee or tea they seem annoyed. When we asked for our passports back from the hotel safe the clerk seemed confused about the request. It took nearly ten minutes to make our request clear.

We left our bags in storage for the day and then picked up our laundry offsite (cheaper). We got our bags without problem and began organizing our ruck sacks for our bus journey at night. After we were nearly finished the same clerk came by and told us how rude we were being to everyone and that there was a room we could've done that in. He made a big deal of this in front of other guests to which I thought was rude and extremely unprofessional. I apologized to he guests but they remarked that it hadn't bothered them at all.

In the end, there is better value for your money in Vientiane with kinder staff.

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 20 March 2012

It might not be the best choice but with the price that you paid for a hotel, it should consider fair enough. The room is fine. Service can be improved. The good thing is it has free wifi. The breakfast is not convinience as the hotel fix the breakfast time from 7-9am which is very short!

• Stayed March 2012
Shenzhen
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed at Win hotel 19th this month with my group of 11, all of us enjoyed the hotel, the location and the staff was very nice and helpful. Breakfast served at the hotel was very nice. Highly recommended to stay there if you looking for a nice mid range hotel central in Vientiane. Will for sure come back again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JP-Oi
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Win hotel (formally and still widely known as Van Huong Hotel) has it's good and bad points. It's in a good location,the free breakfast is very good & the man behind the desk is super cool. But the rooms are very average (but clean) and the beds are pretty hard, which i think is about normal for this part of the world. I think if i returned to Laos i might try to find a better value place but wouldn't be to bummed if i ended up hear again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo