“Large and airy rooms”
Review of Mixok Guesthouse

Mixok Guesthouse
Ranked #52 of 203 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Our room was large, clean and well furnished, with a big bathroom.
Wifi worked well in the room, the mattress was very comfortable and the tv had plenty of english channels.
Good value for the price - we paid 130,000 for our air-con room, including a decent breakfast (which would have cost 30,000 for 2 if bought separately).
Breakfast is taken at the Mixok Inn a few doors along the road. This sister property also looked nice, but rooms here cost a fair bit more than at the guest house.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main road may be noisy, the road is busy all night.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaz_in_essex

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I was actually staying at ratty hotel on the same road. However, three hours before my flight out I decided to withdraw some money so I could pay for a tuktuk. The ATM swallowed my card and I had no idea what to do. I couldn't even read what the bank was called because it was all in Lao script. To make things better it was pouring with rain. I tried to get help at the Western Union but no one spoke English, and my charades of "card swallowed" made her think I was hungry and she recommended restaurants. Witnessing this dramatic ordeal, one of the men from Mixok Guesthouse came out and offered to help me. He used his personal phone to call the bank and arrange them to retrieve the card (after the national 3 hour nap) and supervised it. He was incredibly kind and went out of his way to help a soaking stressed tourist and next time I am in Vientiane I will definitely stay at this guesthouse.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hermes_Kyllenios
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We only came for the bicycles:
The receptionist was very competent and friendly.
He even set up a contract for the bicycle rent.
The city bikes were old but served us well. Had to return them by 6 p.m.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jobst56
Reviewed 6 January 2014

- Room was large, bed was comfortable - bathroom was hideous. It was a wet room style bathroom, common in SE Asia but the drain was blocked and the sink was leaking so the floor was soaking and dirty during all of the stay. The day reception staff (a rather unfriendly man) really was not bothered and was almost annoyed when we asked the room to be cleaned after out first night.

- Breakfast adequate - eggs or rice soup plus tea/coffee and fruit - but only 15,000 kip so possibly better to have a room without breakfast

- Do not book transport at the desk - prices are much higher compared to travel agents around for exactly the same service

- Poor Wifi

- Room overpriced, if this room was $10 I would expect all of the above but at $20 I expect a bit more - stay elsewhere if possible.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 301 - AWFUL bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

we had a twin room, the beds were large and we had a communal balcony, the room was large and the room was the same, the shower was hot just not that powerful, sort of trickled out a bit! the tv was good had english movie channels was great when it was a storm outside, never got bored! the air con was good and the breakfast was great, you have to walk down the street to the sister hotel and you get to choose from a selection of breakfast menus which was good things like pancakes, omletes, fruit and baguettes! Overall had a great time and would recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is the worst attitude I've got whole over Laos - when we got the reception the guy at the front desk was playing on his phone. Only after 5 really insulting minutes and about 4-5 requests from me he took us to our room, which where really smelly.
When we got to breakfast they told us that we didn't asked for breakfast, which we did, it just that the *** at the front desk was to busy with his phone and he forgot to book it!
We also asked for a taxi for the airport, but the price the manager told us sounded too much... so we took a taxi from the street and the price was half from what Mixok manager told us that the price is!

My bottom line... DON'T GO THERE!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Don't book a bus with them. It's more expensive and we get a normal bus to Plain of Jairs instead of a VIP one we paid for. Once arrived in the Bus stations there was no VIP bus to our destination. So we have to travel in a normal one. The travel was not bad, but I felt has someone stolen me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends