Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
Destinia.com
CheapTickets
StayForLong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The AV Hotel was a bit of a weird experience for me. The room was quite nice, although it took the aircon awhile to cool it down. The shower and toilet were in one room, good water pressure, but the sink was around the corner in another part of the bedroom....and it didn't drain properly. I couldn't figure out what to do and apparently neither could the cleaning crew because the took the "plug" mechanism out and just left it to the side. Going to the room first, I was taken to an already occupied room which was switched immediately. I came back that night, same clerk and bellman, but they didn't note that I walked up the wrong staircase....with no access to my room, 3rd floor, came back down and neither of them even looked up at me as I went to the next stairwell. I never like hotels that ask me as I'm checking out to wait while they check the room. I had already paid and there was no mini-bar or anything for me to take. Something about the place, staff just did not seem happy to be working there. Even comng down the stairs with a large suitcase, a staff member was sitting on the steps and did not move to get out of my way, causing me to trip as I tried to avoid her.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Loved the free airport pickup! We were pleased with this quiet and well-placed hotel, it was very clean, quite comfortable and enjoyed the free breakfast. The staff were pleasant and polite, the f&b ladies were really lovely and accommodating. Front of house were efficient, not over-the-top friendly but absolutely nothing wrong with the service, unlike what some reviews say here. Overall, it was value for money and very comfortable for our purposes. Don't go in expecting luxury (nor should you, considering the price) and you will have a great stay.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2012

clean and good sleep quality. Breakfast with small number of choices with good quality, with fresh coffee too. Excellent value for money if you do not need swimming pool. Space for car park. Located near everything in walking distance.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I am a frequent traveller to Vientiane and will be the first person to say I really am not too impressed with the city. That being said I have stayed at the AV Hotel several times (possibly 6 in the last 12 months) and have never written in TA about my experience but after reading a few reviews wanted to share my experiences (most recently March 2012).

Over the past two years have met and gotten to know some of the front end people as well as the ladies in the breakfast dining room area. And yes there is a language barrier that I know the owner is trying to overcome however they are not stupid people who stare at you blankly unless you approach them in a negative manner.

What time is breakfast served? Obviously between 5:30pm and Midnight. Is it just me or do some people lose all senses when they travel. In the rooms there is a introduction folder that gives details on meal times. Ie when is breakfast served (perhaps morning time 7am-10am).

Yes there a few amenities in the room such as tooth brush/paste, hair nets etc. For me, soap, shampoo, are great. Still amazes me when people travel all the way across the world to a tropical place such as Asia and do not pack things like sunscreen and mosquito repellant. Sorry but to ask a Hotel to provide for you things you should have I do not fault the hotel.

Breakfast was fine. Small buffet service with a few cooked items (thai & western), some fruit, rice soup, etc... Western regions of the world have destroyed what normal people should consider adequate amounts of good and services. Coffee, tea, juice and water (1 full glass of each) should be sufficient for most people anywhere. There is tea and coffee service in the rooms and what an extra 5,000 or so KIP for a coffee. Come on, get real.

Stained sheets, dirty room etc...okay maybe a valid point but there is a difference between a clean sheet with a permanent stain and a dirty sheet with removable stains still on a bed. Many 1,2,3 star hotels in the world offer clean linens, freshly laundered that have permanent stains in them. If your sheets truly had fresh stains in them then yes mention to the house staff or front staff (take them to the room if necessary).

Long distances to restaurants and bar area??? i pick this hotel because it is literally 5 minutes to the water front and places like Joma Cafe (not my favorite by any means) and other well known bars and restaurants.
3 Minutes to Nam Phu (fountain square) so i assume you just had a bad day and needed to complain about how terrible this place was.

If you book AV Hotel and get a decent sale rate with Agoda or others you will be just fine. Upgrade to a top floor suite usually 50-60 usd a night and if that is way over your budget then skip this hotel and go to a hostel!!

And yes the front desk guy charging those prices is trying to rip you off. 600 baht to the friendship bridge (20 usd) for a 22km journey. Maybe he is just trying to make a few bucks unlike his counter parts in the rest of the world who think he should just work for 1 dollar a day so you can get a free(cheaper) ride.

This is an okay hotel with okay services. Just balancing the tally a little.

Room tip: upgrade your room...it is worth the extra cost. Big room with microwave, kettle and a few other perks like a wrap around balcony etc..
Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank rct99q
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Good location and free airport pick ups. Rooms are basic, with no supply. Only one towel, and no toiletries. Charge a phone call at reception to contact tour operator without letting customer know before hand. It was a surprise at check out and the staff mocked " nothing is free!", rude staff. Not cheap, may find something better in Vientiane.

Room tip: Find some other hotels with lower rate, it is not as good as it sounds at AV hotel.
Date of stay: March 2012