“Kongkhao is closed”
Review of Kongkhao - CLOSED

Kongkhao
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional Lao house set close to Mekong River. Leafy green eating & air-conditioned indoor eating. Children's room and outdoor play area. Lao fusion restaurant with Western-style brunch on weekends. Happy hour 6-9pm every Thursday, Jam Session every Friday from 8pm, Live Music Sunday afternoons from 2-5pm, gallery space upstairs.
Canberra, Australia
“Kongkhao is closed”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Problems with the landlord and the lease - so it closed in early March 2014, Sadly. Don't know if Isabel and her chef Pierre are going to open in new premises. If I learn anything I'll let you know. Meanwhile, Kongkhao has the gate closed and the lights turned out.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Doug F

Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Latin Fiesta”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We had a great Latin party at Kongkhao yesterday. Good cause too Paws 4 Thoughts supporting animal welfare in Laos. Salsa, Rumba etc to dance to, great atmosphere, nice cocktails now I just have to come back to taste the food.

Canberra, Australia
“Kongkhao has a new owner and chef, and it shows.”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I live just around the corner from Kongkhao and go past it most days to and/or from the office. Before Xmas I noticed a new sign and menu outside, written in the French style, along with some construction in the yard.
I was headed off to Ray's Grill tonight but he is closed for holidays so, walking back home, I decided to give Kongkhao a try.
Indeed it is now very French and the lease has been taken over from Clarissa (Australian) by Isabel (French but speaks good English), who had a restaurant for 12 years in Toulouse but wanted to move to Asia. So she did, and brought her chef, Pierre Mauget, with her.
The menu is not extensive, but I always regard this as a good sign - I'd rather have a few first class well prepared dishes to choose from than 20 pages of stuff you know is frozen and going to get microwaved. It's all about stock control. There is a Lao section, which I skipped over because there are already plenty of good Lao places where the food is cooked by Lao people, and there is the Western (French) section. There were 4 or 5 entrees, including Potage Garbure, Chorizo Mille Feuille with onions and cheese, and Sauteed Prawns with Bouche a la Reine (which contained a very tasty sauce with large chunks of prawn) which is of course a vol au vent (home cooked) decorated by two very large and perfectly cooked (and peeled - always prefer peeled to sticky fingers) prawns - all accompanied by a green salad. Cost just over $7. I can't remember all six or seven main course dishes - as soon as I saw Cassoulet I stopped looking. I've only every had Cassoulet once before and not cooked by a French chef, so I don't know if it was classic or not. I do know that I really enjoyed the generous serving, laced with beans, sausage and whatever else goes into it. Again it was accompanied by a very nice green salad. The Australian wines have disappeared - only French on the menu. A glass of red something from Bordeaux was $6.50, and it tasted fine to my amateur palate. For dessert I had chocolate something line cake with vanilla ice cream, and it was really good but then I am a lousy judge of chocolate cakey things, because they always taste good to me. All in all (one large bottle of Beerlao, two wines and 3 courses) was about $30, which is about right for what they delivered.
Isabel and Pierre have done some renovations - moved the bar outside, installed a couple of salas (like pavilions where you can sit or lie around - think the bars in Vang Vieng), and rearranged the yard with new lighting and table set up. The choice of music was eclectic but enjoyable and not obtrusive.
Will I go back - of course I will - it's just around the corner. So is the Spirit House and it has the river view but it also has the incessant traffic disturbing the atmosphere and once it's dark you can't see the river anyway. One street back from the river, almost behind Spirit House, Kongkhao misses out on the dark river view but gains serenity and peace in a lovely garden setting.
Worth a visit.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Doug F
Vientiane, Laos
“Great menu and perfectly prepared food”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

A previous review noted on the river but overtaken by construction. They must have been at a different place. The Kongkhao has always been a block back from the river and there has been no construction activity nearby in the last 6 months.
The garden is as tranquil as ever in the evening and the beautifully constructed cubby house with elf size furniture for the youngsters and separate play area is great for those with young family.
Our recent visit was on a quiet night but the food and service were all that could be desired.
We had shared food, the Mok Paa as an appetizer was a meal in itself, the fish steamed in coconut milk and herbs and wrapped in banana leaf was absolutely succulent. The Chefs special dessert was different to almost any other I have come across locally, well worth a try.

• Visited June 2013
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I find nothing special about this place yet it's quite popular esp with the local people. It's along the river but the river has been overtaken by construction equipment.

Visited January 2013