“Excellent value for money”
Review of Benacam Boutique

Benacam Boutique
Ranked #102 of 202 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We found this gem after walking around town looking for something halfway decent within our price range. Our room didn't have a window but we often find that without a window it's much quieter. Unfortunately, we were both a little sick while in Vientiane and therefore spent a good amount of time in our room. The bed was really comfortable, there was a large fridge, a kettle, cups/plates, a kitchenette sink, and the internet was fast. Not a bad place to spend the day in bed! The room and bathroom were really clean and for $18/night it was a steal.
If we ever find ourselves back in Vientiane we will stay here again!

Room Tip: If you have the money - pick a room with a window.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine_Travels14

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I love the location of this Guesthouse. It was easy to locate and the staff there were really friendly and helpful. It is a street away from the main area where the Night Market is at. The guesthouse on the whole is really clean. As you walk into the room area, you'd have to remove your shoes. I stayed in the triple-sharing room and it was huge. We had a window but it merely opens to the corridor. This was not a problem as we were really only back at the guesthouse in the night. Hence, it really is a perfect place to unload your stuff, venture out and head back for a good night's rest. :) Toilet was clean and everything worked perfectly fine. I love it that there is a full-length mirror in the room as well as along the stairway down. Will head back here again on my next visit to Vientiane.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Salienturges
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We struggled to find a place suited to our budget in the capital but we were very relieved to find this place.

Although a little bit out of our price range, we couldn't refuse when we saw the lovely room. Fridge, kettle, comfortable bed and a very nice bathroom.

Our only advice we can give is if you have the money to spend, pick the room with a window. We spent a week in a room without a window and it got very very stuffy and hot, even with two fans on but it didn't ruin our time here at all.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and will always ask you if you want your room to be cleaned when you leave in the day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Etjgiles
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The greatest point in BENACAM it's justlike home, very cozy warm feeling while being on a visa run and having this uneasy feeling of an outlaw personality.

Most rooms don't have windows, it might not be comfortable for some people, but if u plan just sleep andshower there - it's perfect.

Internet is there in the rooms, however mind how u charge your laptop, the sockets in the rooms only have 2 holes (european style), and they didn't have the adapter for me, so I couldn't use my laptop coz itwas out of battery.

What my husband pointed and it's true, i think: the narrow stairs, no windows and no instructions available in the room - what happens in case there's a fire in the building? It's gonnabe really difficult to get out from that bulding. Because this time we were there with our little kid, this question of safety struck us for the 1st time ever.

And my final point -as I observe almost everywhere in Asia, even in very nice places with good owners, and also this is the problem with my husband who is Thai, people here have difficulties with maintaning and preserving the great places they have created. For BENACAM, we had one electricity socket off the wall hanging just the level of the bed, which is a real danger for the kid. The mirror in the bathroom was broken in 2 parts and it was still inplace but looking like atcan fall off on you atany moment. Soap holder was hanging along the wall, I couldn use it. What thehell, would u ask? Can't u live without a soapholder? I could before I had my son :) But now having a problem with putting the soap away means he will get to it, and it will go into his eyes finally,and there will be a long loud moaning and crying, and noone around will be able to sleep.
And finally, theflash inthe toilet was broken, and it stopped working alltogether on the 2nd day.

And to close this review, my husband's new converse shoes were stolen our 2nd night there. They said to us it was the 1st time ever such thing happened. Because it was my present,and also it was his first pair of decentshoes ever in his life, he got so upset, It was just about to ruin the whole experience of our trip. The guys on reception didn't show us the cam video with the excuse there's some problem with the screen in the lobby. But they agreed for late check out, then they gave us another pair of converse that was there for a few months, forgotten ot left there by someone, and it was the old school durable pair of US converse, with better quality than our stolen converse,and they gave us the 50% of the shoes price back, ours stolen cost 2100 B, we got 1000B back. So at the end, it felt as a fair change,and my husband left the hotel happy and smiling,and so did I

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Littl_NAT
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Found this place while walking to another guesthouse, and glad I did! Half the price of other options we saw for the same standard. Only 100,000kip / $12.5 for a double fan room, or $16 for a/c.
Clean, big enough and in a great location. Room offered to be cleaned daily, with free water every day. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomCotterill
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed six nights in a double room, windowless, with A/C. Room had big fridge and small kitchen area. Clean and modern, with a great shower.

We paid 110,000 kip per night and thought this was good value for the standard of room.

Guesthouse is really well located with sights and restaurants nearby.

Wifi was very intermittent, and worked maybe 40-50 percent of the time.
Room cleaning was hit and miss also, even when requested it didn't always happen.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victron23
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Pros:
1. Great location - Close to the famous Wats and all good restaurants, night market and bars within the same street (Makphet restaurant comes to mind) and surrounding streets. Accessible to ATMs, sundry shops, tour companies and Mekong riverfront.
2. Well-maintained - I paid 130,000 kip per night in a windowless room. Rooms with window cost 170,000 kip per night. But the room was so comfortable, with TV, air conditioning, fridge, large mirror and nice bathroom with good shower head.
3. Aesthetic - This gotta be the nicest looking guest house I have ever visited in Laos! No tacky decoration. From the entrance to the room, they have very tasteful wood carvings and rugs placed along the walls.
4. Customer service - Staff speak passable English, quick to attend to problems (I had a leaking AC which was rectified in the end), and impressively initiative (they set up mosquito coils in every floor every night to get rid of pesky mozzies!)
5. Best WiFi signal in a guest house. I got strong signal in my room!

Cons:
1. Can't think of any...

I'm so in love with this place. I will highly recommend this to anyone visiting Vientiane. In fact, I will return to this place next time!

Note: Just like any guest house in Laos, they lock the doors at 11pm but there will always be someone sleeping at the reception area to anticipate guests who go out drinking. But best to return to your guest house in time.

Room Tip: Any room would be good if you don't mind NOT having windows
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo