“Go for food, not service”

Kong View Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #85 of 405 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Lovely new restaurant directly at the Mekong
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stop whining, the food and view are amazing. Everything my table ordered was delectable, especially the steamed fish and the larb. Super tasty dishes, cold beer, beautiful view - what more could you want?

There are newer reviews for Kong View Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Kong View has great views of the Mekong River and it a nice place to go to at night to have a drink and meal. Menu has a great selection of food to choose from but is hard to get your order right. I been to this place many times and the staff need help! They quickly take your order and then comes to your table wrong. Even the drinks order is very hard to get right. Once the right food comes, it is a great meal! If you want a simple drink and meal, this would be a good place to go.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Had lunc here last Sunday (20th April). The food is ok but not spectacular and the service is terrible. The staff either don't know what they're doing or just don't care. Took forever for the food to arrive and then took 15 minutes to get the bill even though there was almost no other customers there.

If it wasn't for the lovely view I would have given it an even lower rating.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The setting is simply amazing. Really beautiful and lovely to sit outside in the night air.
However...
The service is simply disastrous! It seems that none of the staff are able to speak English well so they think the best way to deal with this problem is to ignore English customers. We ordered drinks 3 times, every time they write it up and put it in our little bill box by the table but no drinks appear.... after about 45 minutes we were able to get our first drinks.
We eventually managed to order food, the food arrived haphazourdly and quite some time later, one of the dishes were not exactly what we ordered and the rice made an appearance after we nearly finished the other food. We were so fed-up at this point that we just wanted to get out. I still cannot remember if the food was any good as the service were so bad that it took any good memories I might have had.
The whole bill was only printed in Lao, so we could not even check if we payed for all the drinks we ordered and never received.... and good luck in trying to change anything or question anything from any of the staff.
Will never visit this place again, what a pity!

1  Thank Beingalive
Reviewed 20 March 2014

On a short trip to Vientiane we were pointed to this restaurant as "Vientiane's best one". And yes, this is a nice place at Mekong river, with a great variety of food, prepared by a good kitchen. BUT: I've never been to a place with a service as bad as this one. There's obviously no management interested to keep the numerous members of staff working. Three waitresses were flirting with some guests next to our table without noticing our wish to order. We didn't get any drinks until the food arrived, and had to serve them later on ourselves. We tried to log on to one of the two WLANs provided, without any success. Asked for help, one girl disappeared and never showed again. To make it clear, there was no problem of understanding us. No staff member spoke any English, but my wife is of Thai origin and could make herself perfectly clear to the staff. Still, to no prevail. On checkout, I didn't give any tip and asked my wife to let the waitress know my reasons. I'm afraid it won't help. As long as the management doesn't do anything about the attitude of it's staff, it won't change.

1  Thank saintex13