“Better/cheaper options all over town”
Review of iHouse

iHouse
Ranked #89 of 198 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Better/cheaper options all over town”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Location is good, room (budget) is as big as a walking closet. Breakfast? Hahahaha, a baguette , some jam and a coffee tat has been sittign for days does not quaify as 'breakfast". Don't wast eyour tiem and have brekkie at the Scandinavian Bakery located a minute away from Ihouse. Service is as good as the breakfast....Beds are ok, AC works well, rooms are clean. For $20/night you can find better options around town. If you are looking for good service (or for any service at all) and to sleep past 7am go elsewhere.

Room Tip: IF you want to get a proper size room you will have ti pay $30+ and it is defnitely not worth it
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jsanz77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Thai first
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Okay, so I booked and paid online and made a mistake on the date, and I showed up one day early. Mea Culpa. I supposed I deserved SOME kind of penalty. It was early in the day. They had several rooms free but refused to switch my booking or offer me a refund of even one kip. The nice receptionist called the owner and he said not his problem. He even refused to give me a discount of any kind if I booked for that night. They were booked solid for the next night (or so they said) so it made no sense not to re list my room. Also, when I tried to get to get online to straighten it out, the wifi was completely useless. There are MANY MANY other small places nearby and I had no problem booking a nicer room for the same money. AVOID THIS PLACE! I stayed at Lao Silk Hotel around the corner- much nicer ambiance, nicer views, and a lovely staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KhunKru
iHouse, Owner at iHouse, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Hi, if you can Read? Please revise your booking cancellation conditions , to remind you the reference below, we were being very kind to you, and what you are doing now, I am sure karma...will bring you what you wish for us.

Cancellation and Change Policy:
Any cancellation received within 7 day/s prior to arrival will incur the first 1 night/s charge. Any cancellation received within 3 day/s prior to arrival will incur the full period charge. Failure to arrive at your hotel will be treated as a No-Show and no refund will be given (Hotel policy).

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks on business and ended up moving to another guesthouse. The rooms are nice, although hard beds. But there's aircon and a nice tv. I never was able to have breakfast because I left earlier than the times and its only a bagette (unfortunately I have Coeliacs) so I had to always eat out for breakfast. Its a nice central location, walking distance everywhere. BUT my problems were; the wifi. Several times I had to request them to restart it because it was just cutting out and it was met with a laugh and ok then. The staff are really nice but seem more interested in playing and listening to music than attending to the guests. And when the rooms are cleaned, sometimes its not completed properly, like toilet paper is not there. My other problem was the rooms have no windows. Its alot of money for a place with no windows and I wasnt quite aware of that before arriving. I didnt book any tours through them, due to already seeing most of Lao on a previous trip, but there are alot of bad reviews from what I have seen,
I think that its a nice place but there is alot of room for improvements. I felt very safe here during my stay but seemed to always be going out just to get some air and sunshine. Personally, I think there are better guesthouses in the area and better value for money too

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Ha Noi, Dac Lac, Vietnam
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I articulated very well to the staff that I was booking in for the first night, leaving on the second, and coming back on the third and forth night as I would stay at a national park on the second night. Goodness, common sense DID NOT prevail for them not to charge me for the night I didn't stay there. They charged me for 4 nights even though I stayed for 3. They complained to me that I didn't make it clear when I did. In any case, they acted in a VERY UNDERHANDED way - they didn't care about the reality of the situation, for they only ACTED FIRST AND FOREMOST, to rake in as much money as they could possible from their customer. They did not listen to their customer carefully it's worse than talking to a brick wall, that's what frustrates.

Apart from that, they DO OVERCHARGE for the quality of room they have and do not state clearly anywhere that you could be staying in a WINDOWLESS room. Another UNDERHANDED tactic highlighted here. Quoting prices as high as 53USD for a room without a window and feigning value-for-money by bringing it down by half on the website, REALLY DOES NOT IMPRESS. For only a few steps away, good quality hotels quoting reasonable prices do exist. So show a bit of honesty and humility here!

If they continue this way, I will never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Grace L
, Owner at iHouse, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear Ms. Grace,

Thank you for your complaint. Please revise back since I personally think you are just trying to unload your bad experiences on ihouse, that we actually give you very good discount, and free upgrade and still now you owe us a dollars because you refuse to paid. We remember not to let you in iHouse ever again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Interesting, I'm glad I didn't read a couple of the reviews before I checked in or I never would have stayed....for good reasons it seems. So, this is only my experience. I have walked past iHouse many times during my business visits to Vientiane. It is close to my work so I decided to check it out for a week. My experiences with the staff were always very positive and friendly. I don't think I ever met the manager and was not interested in day trips. I did see older Western men staying there, but nothing untoward and honestly it's not my business. I liked the room itself. The bed was quite large, nice TV. The mini-fridge under the TV did not work, nor was water provided which is a little unusual...you often get at least two free bottles a day. I think I was paying about $27-29 per night. There was not real place for me to work on my computer which was okay, the bed was fine....and the wifi did work. The one major surprise for me is that the bathroom was incredibly small and I thought I had a small bathroom at home. There was also no toilet paper provided. The aircon worked just fine. The front door does close at midnight and often even before that the guy was sleeping, but he always jumped right up to let me in. I've asked them to hold a bag for me until I come to Vientiane the next time and that was not a problem, so will have to see if it is still there.

Room Tip: If the bathroom size matters to you, then definitely check out which room you are getting first!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mowgli415
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We were a traveling group of 7 people who stayed in iHouse over a period of 4 days 3 nights. The hotel's manager named Amy (I assume she's from the PRC based on her spoken mandarin accent) presented us with a day trip package worth USD 30 per person from Vientiane to Num Ngum Lake (traveling duration:2 Hours from 9am to 11am) inclusive of boat ride, lunch and transportation. When we arrived at Num Ngum Lake around 11am, we were informed by the boat employees that no booking was made for us to board the boat. We were dumb-founded by this discovery as we've already made the full payment for this trip. The driver who took us to the lake then made several calls to Amy (the manager of iHouse) but she failed to pick up. After half an hour, the driver finally got through to her and we thought things were settled but the driver told us to get in the car and said to us that he'd brought us to the wrong place. At the beginning we didn't suspect much and just jumped back in the car. After about an hour and a half's drive, we arrived at a river named Tha Ngon where the driver brought us to have lunch. To our surprise, our lunch merely consisted of two small (finger sized) fried fish per person, fried egg, a small bowl of fish BONE soup, and mixed vegetables. After lunch, the driver sent us back to Vientiane and the journey from Tha Ngon only took around half an hour. Upon arrival, we checked up on Tha Ngon river and found out that it is actually situated in between Vientiane and Num Ngum lake. We were utterly disappointed and decided to bring this matter up with Amy. However, we didn't manage to contact her for TWO whole days after the trip. We informed the hotel staff we wanted to speak to Amy to clarify the issues we faced during the trip but she still failed to show up. On the last day when we were checking out, we were so upset with her that we decided to take matters up with the hotel staff instead. As we've already given her countless chances to rectify the situation, we feel that we should get a refund of at least USD10 since she made no effort. Finally the hotel staff managed to convince Amy to speak to one of us on the phone. When she was on the phone, she was so rude and showed no sense of remorse after she found out what had happened. She even made a comment which was so insulting where she said "she has no intentions whatsoever in having us Malaysians stay at iHouse'. She went on to say that she doesn't like Malaysians and wouldn't mind if we don't ever come back.
The reason why I relate this story on this site is to create awareness so that everyone will be more careful not to get conned by misinterpreted trip packages.
Okay, on to the review of the hotel. As this hotel is still new, the rooms are general clean. The breakfast only consists of coffee and bread, so don't hope on filling your stomachs with a hearty breakfast if thats what you have in mind. Also, do note that mineral water isn't provided in the rooms so be sure to buy them before u head back to the hotel. As for the sleep quality, the area was really noisy at night so this hotel really isn't recommended for light sleepers. We had it worse as there was a renovation going on next door and oddly enough, the renovation works were carried out in the wee hours.
Hope this review is helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank valinthebigcity
, Owner at iHouse, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Value Customers,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

This Complaint made regards a tour experiences, comments guest write regards Amy is untrue, English is not our mother tongue language and we are limited in vocabs. Guests refused to pay for rooms at check out because their unsatisfied with tour trip. We had to tell guests if they refused to pay we can contact Tourist Police to help clear the matter. If in anyway we have mistreated our customers or fraud them with the tour trip, we will not dear to contact Tourist Police for Clarify for us.

I and iHouse Team always treat our customer with respects and love and fairness.

As Owner of iHouse, I personally think if you didn't like ihouse you will not moved from another hotel to our place.

Thank you once again, you chose to stay with us for the rest of time you had in Laos, have proofed you loved our place! :)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed here 2 nights on 2 occasions. Its newly opened and well decorated. But very expensive for what it offers. You can forget the breakfast - its worth nothing. Cold coffee and a slice of baguette with butter and jam. The location is good and its clean. I wish all rooms had windows. Some rooms are very small - as in just enough space for a bed and for one person to walk.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with windows facing the street.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends