“nobody is going to steal the towells from this hotel”
Review of Mercure Vientiane

Mercure Vientiane
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
france
“nobody is going to steal the towells from this hotel”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Thi is not a 4 stars. I spent one night there and only because my husband was sick and did not want to move. The mattress was old and terrible, the towells should be used to clean the floors as they are falling apart, the carpets are dirty in the hallways, the shower was terrible, unable to control the flow of water splashing all over. This is also the only hotel I have encountred in Asia over the past 3 years that does not have free wifi The manager needs to adjust his budget and make changes as I saw many bad reports in the hotel book, more in French than in english

Room Tip: get a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michelecarlos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Bounsou and Shirly at front desk were outstanding. They gave excellent advice about dining locations through the city.

Pool is beautiful. Good gym. Internet is not free and can be challenging. You have to rent a LAN cable or use Business Center.

Breakfasts and all meals excellent. Service fabulous in restaurant.

Do NOT visit Heng Heng massage across street. They are unprofessional and you do NOT wish to go there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
derby
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed here march 9th and did get a public warning that the power company where going to turn off the power - there was a storm and so it must have gone off later after we left.
We found the rooms nice enough the bar area very good, nice staff and quite good food. However we where only there for only one day.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights in
March 2012. It's not great. On March 9 all guests of the hotel received a notice that there would be an all day power outage (see attached picture of letter) the next day. One small light per room. No light in the bathroom, no TV, no air conditioning. No refunds! Really, this gives an indication of the level of concern for their clients. Thankfully (for us) this outage was averted because the electrical workers could not do the job due to a rainstorm. But it will happen soon. Who knows, maybe it will allow them to install Wifi?!
Further, there was a prostitute in our hallway. I know that other reviewers have seen child prostitutes. The one in our hallway looked to be at least 20, but it still made for an awkward conversation with our young daughters.
Carpet was filthy. My socks were black after one night.
The front desk and bell staff are friendly enough. The bathrooms were reasonably clean, but Soviet era. The dining area is nicely renovated, but don't tear your clothes on the tables. Although they look new, they were made with cheap glue and all have deep cracks in the surfaces and edges.
Avoid this hotel if possible.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank marymandmarkw
MercureVientiane, Webmaster at Mercure Vientiane, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area.

• Front desk and bell staff received our commendation for the courteous, friendly manner in which they treated you, our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of cracks in the tables in the dining area and instructed to see to their repair.

• Management was approached about your report of there being a prostitute in your hallway.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Mercure Vientiane. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I've traveled all over the world, stayed in some of the most expensive hotels and stayed in bungalows that have cost me under 5 dollars a night. You know something is really wrong when you read the guest book inscriptions about the quality of this hotel and the inefficiency, but I can overlook that usually as it is my own experience that is worth mentioning. My reservation could not be found, and that is ok because I always mark down the reservation number just in case. For some reason, they could not locate. I said that was fine and found the reservation on my computer - but they wanted a printed copy - so I had to print out and was almost charged for it- after going back and forth on this matter, I refused to pay, and printed it free of charge in the business center. To be fair, I did make the reservation 24 hours prior to arrival and I did it through a third party - however, this has never been an issue with any other hotel I've stayed at through the same agency, and the staff admitted to me that their internet was down, so I can understand how these things happen. What should have taken a few mintues to fix actually took about an hour, when the proper thing would have been to give me my room (which they had availability) and working on the problem while I was unpacking. On the reservation I also asked for a pick up at the airport and they never received it - but no matter as I was able to find my way anyway. So, I let the day go and started anew. Next day.. tried to speak with the concierge who just didnt seem like he wanted to be bothered with showing me the map and where the sights were, and no help hiring a tuk tuk to get to the main center of town. The last straw was being woken up at 7:30am to check the mini bar and clean my room. The best part about this place was the food. But all in all, I expect much more from a 4 star facility and just cannot recommend this place with a good conscience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ExcursionsByKate
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Mercure Vientiane for your recent stay in our area.

• Management and desk staff received additional training in having a registration system that will properly show registrations made on line.

• Desk staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which you, our valued guest are to be treated.

• Food staff received our commendation concerning their products.

Hotel Manager.