“dirty carpets, smelly drains”
Review of Mercure Vientiane

Mercure Vientiane
Ranked #25 of 95 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed for three nights, the last nights of a group tour of Lao. After all the other places we'd stayed in, this hotel was a big disappoinment. It's not central, and has all the impersonal lack of charm of hundreds of similar hotels across the world. The rooms give the impression of having been designed by a jobbing interior designer, probably based in Europe, who expects his/her designs to be replicated in many places in many continents. You could just as well be in Swindon, and who'd want to be? Worst of all was the fact that carpets in the bedroom were badly stained, and the drains in the bathroom stank.

Room Tip: Find a better hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Petermair

Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here on a company retreat. The rooms are decent considering that this is Laos. It is comparable to a 3 star hotel in a metrpolitan city. I like the ambience of the restaurant, that it has a nice and relaxing view of the pool and gym. There's a massage joint across the road at cheap local prices. Although walking distance to the Mekong river, I'd reckon it will take a good 20-30 mins walk to the night market.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The hotel was great place to stay we enjoyed the 15 minute walk to the centre of town . if you're not up for the walk 1-2 US dollars will get you a tuk -tuk to town
Rooms , food, pool and service were excellent
The only improvement was the Internet access that was only available in the foyer and was time limited and charged , not free.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Australiadelegation
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed here a few times if I'm transiting in Vientiane.
They are always there to pick me up from the airport no matter how far or how late in advance they are told of my flight.
Location is close to the airport but if you're staying as a tourist perhaps closer to the river would be better.
Service is always good and I've never had any travel getting them to organise things for me.
Buffet breakfast has a good selection.
Rooms are clean and a good size, good amenities as expected (toothbrushes etc) with fruit on arrival. Some rooms can be a bit dark.
If you're on an early flight they will happily pack you a breakfast box to take.

Super easy and convenient for a one night airport stopover. Oh and it has a pool which is clean!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I really don't like writing bad reviews. But I really wished that I didn't stay there. I stayed for one night because Laos airlines changed my ticket. So the airline put me at the Mercure overnight in order for me to catch my transfer flight. The place is fancy but feels like it only serves business people or something, not a great feeling when you're traveling for pleasure. The pool area was just average. Not healing environment at all. It's also located in a remote location so you can't really walk anywhere. I'm also blown away that you have to pay for internet and prices for meals are triple what a cool and delicious restaurant in Vientiane would charge. If Laos Airlines change my flight ever again, I'd ask to pick my own hotel and for them to reimburse me.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I was in the hotel for 1 night. Everything was good except the room which was quite old. The hotel staff were good and helpfull. I will visit the hotel again next time but choose a better room category.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2012

First thing first, remember you are in Lao! If you want resort experience, then you should be heading to Thailand or Vietnam.

I have been to Vientiane and stayed in Mercure on numerous occasions. So far, the staff have been very responsive and helpful. I am surprised that one of the reviewers cannot get a panadol. I am sure the hotel has ps adios, if not the staff would have some, I believe.

I would like to specially mention Salim and Shirley who has been great. May be if you encounter problem, try to talk to them.

I will be there next week again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business