“Calming "old style" hotel nearby everthing”

Settha Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed 3 January 2014

If you look something "old style semi-conservative colonial-style" hotel, but anyway easygoing, calm atmosfere, execellent service and food..peaceful area, anyway walking distance to everywhere. Whort of money! I just got good feeling and memories afterwards. Perhaps the history of the hotel knows how to serve clients ?

Room Tip: Garden view 2.floor, but I think all the rooms are quite accetable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank db02182014i

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have stayed in at least 10 different 5 stars hotels in Asia, especially South-East Asia, and I'm pretty sure that this Settha is very far from 5* and too expensive, even though I'm not a difficult guest!
This is my second stay, the first one was in summer - it was not great but still acceptable. But this time, in winter, was a bad experience, not only for me but also for my 2 other colleagues. One got a room with insufficient of hot water - it stopped in the middle of her shower and she got sick after that. The other also got sick because it was too cold in the room even he set Aircon at its maximum, blanket is too thin. I had to take another blanket from the 2nd bed because they finally put me in a double beds room. Also I had to change room twice because in the first one I was welcomed by plenty of mosquitos, and the second one was full of paint smell. Room, bathroom and toilet are quite old. Wifi is very weak. Breakfast is very poor. Staff at reception desk looked really unfriendly when I asked them to change room due to the mentioned reasons.
In general, if we say that this is a 5*, it would be a humiliation for other 5* hotels!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Angie_Nga
SetthaPalaceHotel, Manager at Settha Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

I would like to note that Laos is experiencing unusually cold weather these few days and because it is so rare, the hotel just didn't have the equipment to safely heat up a room. Rest assured that we have provided extra duvet blankets in the rooms for this cold spell and are in the middle of importing some high quality electric space heaters to heat up the room if a guest still finds it a little too cold under the duvet blankets.
We apologize for failing to anticipate this during your stay with us.

The unusually cold weather has also affected how much hot water is being used by everyone so we apologize for the hot water problem. This is being fixed immediately.

We have provisioned a 3mbps fiber optic connection to the hotel to ensure all our guests in the the hotel have good Internet speed including the poolside and sidewalk café. There are also new high power Wifi access points in the ceiling to provide better connection to each room.
We apologize that for some reason you experienced less than satisfactory Wifi.

We have taken note of all your other comments and will take action to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

We hope we will have another opportunity in the near future to give you a better experience.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Amateurs , trying but just amateurs. No understanding of service, mattress very hard, had to watch over them to get boiling water, restaurant badly run ordered two dishes - not available then they ran out of butter. Creaking wooden floors (wakes up your partner). Location not great NOT value for money.

Room Tip: Downstairs is very cold and no heating
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. The level of service we provide and the experience you have during your stay with us as our guest is very important to us. We are very regretful that you had a disappointing stay with us and for that we apologize.

I would like to note that Laos is experiencing unusually cold weather these few days and because this is so rare, the hotel just wasn't equipped with equipment to heat the rooms in a safe way. Rest assured that we are already in the middle of importing some high quality electric space heaters for any of our guests who still find it a little too cold under our fluffy duvets.

I have taken note of every one of your comments and the necessary actions are being implemented to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It is like an oasis of calm in a fairly gritty city. It's in the center of the city with many restaurants within walking distance. (Side note - the local restaurants may have no ambiance but they have the best food. The touristy places are not only overpriced, they also serve horrible food.) The breakfast selection at the Settha Palace was not grand but it was adequate. After all, one has to keep things in perspective when in a country like The Peoples' Democratic Republic of Laos. I'm afraid I didn't have any other meals at the hotel. The bar service was very good, however.

My room was very clean and comfortable and was decorated in a simple but charming French Colonial style. I didn't use the free form pool but I found it to be quite large and the gardens were well maintained.

English skills among the staff were unfortunately lacking. Trying to ask for something as simple as an ash tray for the balcony was more difficult than necessary.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

A delightful hotel, beautifully decorated, spacious bedroom, effective air conditioning lovely swimming pool, very clean.
The breakfast were very good in a lovely quiet dining room- you don't find many quiet breakfast venues in Asia,
Lunch by pool was very well presented, superb staff.
Hotel is situated on edge of town which makes it more peaceful although there are a couple of Lao bars opposite absolutely ideal for Lao beer, the bar in the hotel was always empty and so expensive. It is still very easy to get to the Mekong river, the restaurants and night market either by Tuktuk or walking.
We stayed for 5 nights and would certainly go back, would thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: We were on ground floor and all was fine.
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel was amiable located in the heart of the city. It’s very accessible to the local stores and others in the area and can walk from one place to another. The hotel’s location is what draws tourist in or back packers. I don’t know but maybe it was just me or the service was just poor. The staff need more improvement of their English language like diction and intonation because I had a hard time just getting an order of their restaurant. Their menu and price was okay for me. After being stuffed with food, I headed straight to my room, I asked for some assistance regarding the internet but was a bit surprised of how I was treated and accommodated. I think the staff really needs some training on the hospitality. But over-all the hotel was a nice place to stay in.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The first thing that I noticed when our ride dropped us off the Settha Palace Hotel was that it was straight out from Colonial picture. It has an antique feel and yet I fell in love with the place instantly. As soon as we went inside the place 2 guys who I know worked there opened the doors for us and helped us with our luggage. I kept on looking around the place and noticed that the hotel was ordinary with trees and plants surrounding the pool, but later that night, the place was really divine. The lights really made an impact around the pool and it made me go back in time and felt the colonial period engulfing me yet with so much comfort. Very elegant rooms and bathrooms.