Settha Palace Hotel
Lao Orchid Hotel(Vientiane)
US$64
US$57
Agoda.com
All reviewslondon taxifour postercolonial charmpool areaclassic hoteljunior suitecheck in was smoothbeautiful hotellovely poolthe general managerluang prabangeach eveningrooms are comfortablebreakfast was excellentthe hotel managerthe air conditioningairport transfer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2009

This hotel more than exceeded my expectation. Good location with shops, temples, Mekong river and tourist sites within walking distance. Surprisingly, weather was cool hovering around 12 degrees Celcius while I was there. Great service, understated and not overbearing - just the way I liked it!

Loved everything and disliked nothing. Definitely the best hotel I stayed in Vientiane so far.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Summersun2001
Reviewed 12 January 2009

The place is charming: four poster bed, high ceiling, wooden floors. Staff is attentive and helpful in booking flights, etc. Nice pool. Overall, the atmosphere is quiet and very private. A bit pricey, but got a good deal on honeymoon package.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank intrepid_nomad
Reviewed 1 January 2009

What a disappointment! This hotel seams to be very nice... on paper... At our arrival, nobody was here to great us, open the door, take the luguage... None of the staff were smilling or saying "good morning". The room was small and smelly! It smell like sewage. We told the staff several time. They fixed it for a couple of hour and then it was coming back...

Also, the breakfast and the restaurant is a joke! The breakfast is awful and the restaurant was so expensive that it was always empty!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EricMToronto
Reviewed 24 December 2008

I stayed at Settha Palace in the middle of a 3 week trip to SE Asia. Coming from the beautiful and tranquil Luang Prabang, I found Vientiane to be a bit of a letdown.

I was met at the airport by the hotel's driver and their vintage London style taxi. They took me back to the airport when I left the same way.

The hotel itself is pretty nice in the public areas, but you have to climb some stairs to get to the rooms on the second floor. I was upgraded to a suite for some reason. The room was quite large. The a/c smelled a bit like mold which is always a problem for me but I did not complain about it. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath tub. The bathroom was clean enough but I did find several long black hairs on the towels and floor. And I know they weren't mine. :-)

The wardrobe had a very squeaky door. Good sized el-safe.

The TV was pretty tiny but got a decent amount of channels.

There's no free internet. I ended up going to a little internet shop around the corner and paid next to nothing to check my mail.

The windows are very tall as are the ceilings.

I found the bed to be comfortable enough but certainly not the greatest.

Breakfast was a decent buffet. Nothing to write home about but good enough.

The hotel is located a pretty good hike from the river and many restaurants.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I changed money at the front desk a couple of times and got a competitive rate.

Overall my stay was fine, but certainly not 5-stars. But I think I might also be somewhat influenced by my feelings about Vientiane itself which, as I said, was a bit of a letdown.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank glennaa11
Reviewed 14 December 2008

This was our first visit to Vientiane and staying in this hotel made it an excellent experience right from the start. We wanted a small boutique hotel as opposed to the usual bigger which appears impersonal hence has settled for Settha Palace. The hotel is certainly charming with its French architecture and colonial décor giving off a ‘homey’ feel to the whole place. It is ideally located within walking distance to commercial district, markets, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Definitely love the pool with its lush green surrondings unfortunately at the time of our visit, it was just abit too chilly for a dip. Breakfast was most enjoyable as with the dinner experience at their lovely and elegant looking restaurant. The staff are genuinely helpful however the service appears slow at times which could be due to their lacking in the English language - nevertheless, they never failed to greet us or offer us smiles wherever we come across any of them. I find the room delightful and bed very comfortable. The bathroom was large and fully equipped.

Would definitely recommend this place for those seriously looking for some respite from the rat race and to enjoy some peace and quiet. Thanks Settha Palace for a truly relaxing and rejuvenating stay in Vientiane.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple