Settha Palace Hotel
Lao Orchid Hotel(Vientiane)
US$64
US$57
Agoda.com
All reviewslondon taxifour postercolonial charmpool areaclassic hoteljunior suitecheck in was smoothbeautiful hotellovely poolthe general managerluang prabangeach eveningrooms are comfortablebreakfast was excellentthe hotel managerthe air conditioningairport transfer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 November 2006

Stayed for 4 nights in July. A very nice hotel fairly close to the town. Highlights included the super room and the delightful pool. Not a compalint but the hotel was rather formal for our tastes. We felt like wispering and not entirely comfortable in tee shirts and shorts. Recommended on this basis.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike48
Reviewed 20 November 2006

Lovely hotel in Vientiane and cannot imagine nicer in the country. Friendly smiling staff. Uncrowded and well maintained pool. Close to market. Beautiful rooms with all modern conviences. Would certainly return there.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank OmarSuarez
Reviewed 31 October 2006

We stayed for two nights in October. The building is very classy, in an old fashioned style, and the room was spacious and well maintained. The grounds are nice, and the pool is attractive.

However, as other reviewers have mentioned, the service is strange. The staff do not seem as friendly as in other hotels we stayed in in Asia, and many of them seemed to be in training. We had a hilarious experience in the restaurant one evening, with staff laying out and removing our cutlery several times before they got it right. At one point I was served a steak (not actually very nice, unfortunately) with only a spoon to tackle it with. My husband, meanwhile, was expected to eat his soup with just a fork.

The bar is spacious, and as the wireless internet access did not work in our room, I spent quite a while in the bar working on my laptop. At no point did anyone offer me a drink, although when summoned they came promptly and served me. One had the sense of staff trying to avoid interactions with customers, rather than seeking them out.

I wouldn't go so far as to tell people not to stay here, as it is a nice hotel, but levels of service could certainly be improved.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ambermaine
Reviewed 19 October 2006

There's something very odd about this place. The rooms are fine, grounds and lobby impeccably maintained but the three nights I spent there made me feel very uncomfortable. It all comes down to the staff. There's a strange culture in this hotel - it's as if the guests were an irritation to the smooth running of the place. I've learnt from experience that this is always management driven. From the cold welcome at the airport, the silent drive to the hotel, the lack of clear communication at the reception, to the trainee staff at breakfast, lunch and dinner this place reeks of unhappy and scared staff. Management were nowhere to be seen. Seven waiters and pool attendants hovering outside, but not one asked me if I wanted a drink. Trainee staff everywhere. Strangely enough, for five star prices I'd like five star service.

This place caters for tourists that come for one night and leave. It shows. Stay three nights and you seem somehow resented for staying too long. There is no sense of being welcome, just a cold lumpen level of service that doesn't justify the five star tag it attaches to itself. It may well be the best hotel in Vientiane, but I couldn't wait to get out. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
14  Thank dogster
Reviewed 10 October 2006

This probably is the best place to stay in Vientiane although I did not get a chance to see the new Green Bay.
There was just something about the experience that left me without a warm feeling. The staff were not as helpful, warm or, in summary, as well trained as those in Villa Phou Vao in Luang Prabang whence I arrived.
Also, after it was determined that I was travelling alone, the hotel decided I should only be allowed one bath towell! In a tropical climate, especially in a place one tends to walk like Vientiane, I take showers at least 3 times daily and, in a luxury hotel, one would expect a normal supply of bath towells. I had to constantly phone housekeeping who could not seem to understand my needs.
Also, it took 3 attempts to get eggs over easy at breakfast which was also, unusually in Asia, without any fresh juices.
I don't want to be too critical, this is a nice hotel in a good location for walking around Vientiane. The rooms are very comfortable and the pool/pool area very nice. It just could have been a lot nicer if the staff were better trained to understand the needs of the guests which, in my experience, usually comes down to management, which was not at all visible.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo