Mandala Boutique Hotel
  • Pool
Lane Xang Hotel(Vientiane)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsconverted housethree night stayquiet side streetminutes walkingnight marketdeluxe roomthe rivercapital citylaundry servicerooms are spaciousstayed here for nightsrenovationenglishstopoverkipmekongwardrobe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2013

we booked what we thought were 'Deluxe rooms' at the Mandala Boutique hotel believing - as the website says - we would have a private terrace - but not so - not only did we not have a terrace we were put in rooms adjacent to the restaurant meaning there was no privacy - for example in the morning as people were breakfasting 5m away all curtains had to be kept closed - basically you couldnt be in your room with the curtains open and the only other light source was the plastic roof above the bathroom - a very strange concept. Obviously I didnt stay in the room unless absolutely necessary! Saying that - the room itself had every amenity, the breakfast staff were delightful and the hotel is situated in a quiet part of toen - albeit quite a distance from the centre.. i would say definitely worth a stay but be specific and say you dont want a room by the restaurant.

Room Tip: NOT a room by the restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We were delighted with the service and amenities of this charming hotel. It was indeed a bit of a walk in and out of town (or 30,000 kip for a tuk tuk if you're a good bargainer) but the walk is cool and quiet in the evenings along some of the main sights in town.

Our superior room was charmingly decorated with excellent air conditioning and wifi and the breakfast spot couldn't have been more perfect. The breakfast seemed a bit meager until you realise that you can order extras such as omelets, which are very good. The staff was extremely helpful as well - we had very nice chats with the young man from Phonsavan and the woman who used to run a weaving studio. Their new bartender, Philip from Denmark, was very friendly and gave us some great background on Lao culture and structure.

We would definitely stay here again, they gave us a great start to our Lao adventure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
MandalaBoutiqueHotel, Manager at Mandala Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Klozknitz,
thank you very much for the kind review and positive feedback.
The breakfast menu will be have an even bigger variety in the near future as we have a new chef and we are working on the menu.
Also, during your next stay you might take one of our new bicycles for a ride into downtown.

We are looking forward meeting you at Mandala Boutique Hotel again.

In the name or our team

Philipp
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My first impression was great, a graceful old Colonial mansion tastefully restored with a beautiful new outside dining pavilion. The superior room I had reserved was a bit small so i changed to a suite with it's own outside area. Very nice. I had the hotel get me a tuc tuc so I could see the town and orientate myself. I then realized that it was quite a way into town, too far to walk in the heat of the day, That evening I tried to get a tuc tuc and discovered that they only hang around the downtown area. I walked for a long time before getting one. If it's a quiet retreat you are looking for this place is ideal but be prepared for the $6.00 round trip into town every time you want to go.
The breakfast was fine the place is with new owners and it has new staff so they are a bit raw but trying very hard. I had to mix a gin & tonic for myself.If they could provide their own tuc tuc's it would be fine.

Room Tip: The superior and deluxe rooms were bit small but tastefully decorated the suite was more to my liking as I like room to move and sit.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SylviaScaglia
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and I have just stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of a group tour of Laos. The remodelling is close to completion and it is being renamed Mandala Boutique Hotel.

This hotel is of excellent quality, the rooms are absolutely fantastic, clean and beautifully furnished. Proper showers, air-con, safes, bottled water, tea and coffee making facilities, free internet and satellite TV. The bed was the best we had slept in during our tour, with spotlessly clean bed linen

There are also a number of areas where you can sit and relax in the hotel and meet fellow guests. A library of books is also available for guests to borrow during their stay.

The staff were courteous, attentive, very friendly and always available to help.

The breakfast was excellent and above what we had expected after some of the hotels on the trip. There were numerous choices including a cooked breakfast made to order.

It is centrally located minutes from the river, downtown restaurants and sites but in a quiet side street away from the traffic noise of the busy roads where many of the hotels are situated.

We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I wanted a peaceful place tucked away in a local area of the capital city and this is exactly what I found. Although they were in the middle of remodeling, it was quite perfect. A very welcoming and charming place filled with wonderful energy. A delightful staff and cozy rooms.
I was surprised though they served Nescafe instant for breakfast considering coffee is abound in this region. They could use a bit better Internet connectivity, but it suited my needs.
I will be anxious to see the final result of the remodel.

Room Tip: A Standar room is just perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo