“Charming French villa in Vientiane”

Mandala Boutique Hotel
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
London, United Kingdom
“Charming French villa in Vientiane”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed three nights at the Mandala Boutique Hotel and I enjoyed it very much. The staff were helpful, the breakfast was lovely and the building evoked real charm. The position of the hotel is perfect : fifteen minutes away from the airport and about the same to the town centre. The hotel has a lovely garden and plenty of open spaces where to read and chill. The room was spacious, stylish and was provided with both kettle and cafetiere ! A nice, peaceful place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fendii16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We initially were staying 2 nights but then added another nights stay. The staff and friendly and really helpful and the rooms are cute and comfortable. The hotel is stylish and comfortable with a homey feel. We really enjoyed ourselves :)))

Stayed April 2014
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a nice hotel in a quiet location. It is about 15 mins walk from donwtown Vientiane. There are a few things that could turn this from a nice hotel into a great hotel:
1. Need to have a better selection of pillows, the ones they have are rock hard and gave me a stiff neck
2. They are knocking down building around the hotel and the workmen arrive at 7am (on a Sunday morning) turning what is a nice quiet location into a building site
3. My son and I arrived at just gone 10pm on a Friday evening and asked if we could have a bite to eat or at least a drink, we were told categroically that their restaurant and bar closed at 10pm and we would have to use the minibar.
4. I believe the buildings were turned into a hotel at the beginning of 2000, and it is now in need of some updating, including doors that don't 'squeal' each time they are opened.

The breakfast is alright, with plenty to eat and the coffee in the room is very good. If this hotel just tweaked some of the areas, it will be a fantastic place to stay if you are looking for a quiet stay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hugaby
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

If you want to feel you are staying in a French colonial home just outside the centre of Vientiane, this is the hotel for you.It was built for a French family, complete with a black lacquered staircase, a library for you to borrow anything including lots of travel books, a range f shaded seating areas and a fabulous garden. The rooms in the main house we thought best. Others are joined to the house and are more modern. Breakfast was very good in a separate building. This is in an ideal location about 15 minutes walk from the centre in a leafy road one back from the Mekong. Due to travel arrangements we ended up staying here five nights instead of three but the quality of the hotel made it a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: In the old house.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
france
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We had booked a suite, expecting a terrace. We had a bathtub instead and whilst we did indeed have a terrace it was shared with the room next door. Hot water and lack of pressure seems to be a given in September asia and no different here. Staff with one exception lack any charm. I was attacked one evening just outside the hotel and the reaction was underwhelming, to say the least. We are always careful when we travel but what can you do if someone leaps from a tree on top of you? This was not the hotel's fault, of course, but it almost seemed unimportant. Breakfast was poor and soulless, filled a tummy but dull apart from the croissants and mango jam. Little to no tourist info. If it had a bit more effort by staff it could be lovely, but not there yet.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed with my girlfriend at Feb 14 2014. I booked this hotel using asia travel and i received the confirm mail.(i got prepaid suite room)
I went to this hotel about 11pm feb 14. Hotel door was locked, i shout loudly about 5 minutes.
Hotel staff opened door. but my booking was not confirmed. i show him my booking confirmation printed. He gave me a room. but it's really small. i said him " i booked suite room"
He said "out hotel is full. you must just use this room"
It's too late to get another hotel. I stayed the room.
Next day, i complained hotel manager but hotel manager told me the room is suite room.
I did not think so. and if it's true, the room was really different to the photo.

okay, I told me i was in Laos. but another problem happened.
I asked hotel manager vanvieng bus booking and paid the bus fee.
I got the tuktuk to bus terminal. hotel manager said me " get the tuktuk, you can go to vanvieng"
but another problem happend that time. Bus driver asked me bus ticket. I told him i paid bus fee to hotel. Bus driver asked me to show bus ticket or to get off bus. I didn't want to spend time. i paid it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights at start of Laos touring holiday. The hotel is set in a quiet street on the fringes of the city. Our room had no view but was comfortable and clean. The breakfast was very good and was served in a bright modern room .That said, a toaster/ croissant warmer would have been a useful addition as cold croissants/dry bread are not quite right. We hired bikes on one day ($3 each) but on our subsequent tour of Laos we found other hotels lent them out for free. The hotel recommended a mini bus service to Vang Vieng that promised a pick up from the hotel and a 10.00 am departure but turned out to be a tuk tuk to the city centre and a wait until the bus filled up at 11.00 am. Overall a really nice place to stay but tourist information side of things could be better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple