“Construction site. Go somewhere else.”

Vientiane Garden Hotel
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I made 2 mistakes last week. One was to believe the overrated reviews of fellow trip advisors (some people really change their rates just because they are backpacking in Asia), the other was to book 4 nights with Agoda (which are already paid and cannot cancel anymore).

The place should be very good if it were not a construction site. I am currently writing from my room with a constant hammering noise that is starting to become annoying. Fortunately I have meetings the whole day and had not to endure it until now (4pm).

The amazing pool or peaceful balcony or 'most comfy bed in 50 years' that other guests wrote in their reviews.... well, maybe it was not the same place. And the pool, well... no comment (I rather swim in the Mekong nearby).

Also, it should not be called a hotel, when it is actually a guesthouse. Run by a Vietnamese family who is always around: by the pool, by the breakfast area, ... I was also surprised of the low standard service. Quite cold reception and attention that would be expected in any hotel, and particularly in Southeast Asia! Well, here it is not the case.

Also, by 4pm, my room was not yet cleaned. When I asked, they said that maybe mine is the last one to be cleaned. But I am lucky today. I cannot stand the noise anymore and will go and find a cafe to wait for the noise to finish and the workers go home. Hopefully by that time the room has been already cleaned (but I am not trust my luck too much anyway).

The breakfast is fine though. You can order omelette, eggs, or Pho (vietnamese soup).

Make yourself a favor and find some place else to go. At least until the 'renovation works' are over and you can enjoy the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank aldonbkk
There are newer reviews for Vientiane Garden Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2013

The room 508 was big and clean facing the garden and pool. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was good with unlimited quantity of bread, fruits, cereal, coffee and tea. A nice place to relax and within walking distance to the riverfront to exercise.

Room Tip: If possible avoid room 404. This corner room is damp with plenty of small insects including mosquito...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed 4 nights in Vientiane Garden Hotel and I must say that I cannot understand the great reviews I read before booking. Firstly, I was taken into a room that was extremely shabby with worn tables and a tiny bathroom. I went back to the reception and they transferred me to another room, which was a lot better but still not according to what they had promised in their website:
- no in-room safe, safe only available in reception. I also needed to clafiry what I was leaving to the safe in the reception (eg. Count the currencies I had). When I checked out, everything that I had left was still there which is positive.
- no telephone (local calls were advertised free but only possible from the reception)
- no voice mail, since no telephone in the room
- no balcony but merely 2 chairs and a table in the open corridor where you walk into your room
- no bathtub/shower combo, only shower
- no make-up/magnifying mirror

Also, when I showed them the list from their own internet site, they said that the pictures in the web page are no longer valid! As they are undergoing renovation, they have failed to update the pics on their home page! The pictures on Tripadvisor were up to date, even though showing fancier than the actual outcome.

The pool water was so clowdy that I did not want to jump in, instead I took shower in my room when I needed cooling off. There was no shower at the pool area either. On top, there were no sun beds, only chairs where you cannot really lay down fully. During my 4 nights in the hotel, they did not clean the pool once.

The breakfast was partly buffet and partly by order. Buffet consisted on selection of fruit, juice, corn flakes with milk, nescafe/tea bags and toast with some jams and butter. You could order different styled eggs, pancakes and noodle soup.

Daily cleaning of the room was excellent though, they even ironed my linen! The service in total was good after the first day's hassle with the room, they do order you a taxi to the airport in advance, cost of 62,000 kip vs 58,000 kip coming from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GreatAdventure2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I loved staying at Vientiane Garden hotel, it was super good value. The rooms were really nice with air con and en suite, it also had a lovely swimming pool when the days get too hot! Staff were extremely friendly and offered excellent service. I stayed on my first trip to Vientiane and again on my return- I even extended my stay... Def

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The hotel was really good ! We stayed there for 2 nights, after four days of drinking in Vang Vieng.. And we wanted a nice hotel to relax, and get sober. The pool was nice and cool, and the room had a good aircondition. The staff was really helpfull, they helped with transportation og visas for Vietnam, and we didnt have to do anything. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The room was clean and spacious. Everything looked new. The staff were helpful and friendly. The free wifi was excellent. Areas for improvement would be to re-align the room door to remove or minimise the gaps, to install a small holder for shampoo and bath gel bottles in the shower cubicle, and to have a means to communicating with the front desk directly from the room (for example, a telephone).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank teckeong
Reviewed 30 June 2013

After a 15 hour trip in an overcrowded minivan, i decided to go for an hotel with a bit more luxury than then usual backpacker-stay. Even though I checked in early and was offered a full breakfast buffet, no extra costs were charged! In addition, I was able to get a good price for the room. After a short nap I enjoyed a little swim at the pool. Had a good, quiet night (quality beds!) and continued my journey well rested the day after. The staff was very friendly and can be surprisingly funny. Their level of english is quite high for lao standards, so they are able to give you some good advice and tips for the rest of you trip. All in all I was very happy with my choice for the garden hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013