“Fallen Star”

Ranked #6 of 198 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fallen Star”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I've stayed at Lani Guesthouse 20 times over the past 12 years. Stays range from 1-3 nights. Cozy with wonderful staff at fair value. October 25 was my 3rd visit this year and will be my last!

Prices have skyrocketed under new management. Small room used to run 600-700 baht year round and now cost 1,100 baht.

I'm a regular and maid recognized me but he wasn't impressed. We settled on 1,000 baht. I asked new manager why the prices spiked. Renovation he answered. Renovation not complete while room is the same 100%. In room tv and internet coming soon it seems....something Lani never needed.

Later manager explains price hike due to high season. Really? I was the only customer and paid 600 baht in January!!

Service and cleanliness were always impeccable have now slipped big time:

Garbage in sitting area for hours and no staff to help when I couldn't open room door. Eventually I spotted evening guy hiding behind mini-van on mobile.

Historically breakfast at 100 baht was optional but now mandatory. I went for breakfast at 7am but no staff. After breakfast outside manager doesn't discount 100 baht for meal.

Value is now awful at Lani. Bathroom had almost no water pressure. Towels so old they scratch your skin. But prices are way up?

Hope manager reads this review and returns Lani to the quality guesthouse it used to be.

Goodbye Lani.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank James D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Jakarta
Reviewed 11 October 2012

There was a misunderstanding when we checked in. In our reservation, we indicated that there would be four people coming, but they thought it would be two adults and two children. After some arguments and negotiation, the reception relented and let us checked in.

We had one queen bed and one large single bed, enough to accommodate four adults. Bedroom was clean, but better lighting is desirable so we can read in the room. Bathroom was clean, but we had problem with the shower.

We never had breakfast there as there were more enticing coffee shops and bakeries nearby the guesthouse, but breakfast was basic, consist of eggs, bread and the condiments.

What we particularly liked was the location. It was very convenient, close to most of the cafes and restaurants recommended by travellers. We rented a bike to get around the city center for 10,000 kip/day. I'd recommend to rent a bike to explore the city. Tuktuk was available, but they often ripped you off.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
New Zealand
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights and found it an oasis in a sometimes-difficult city. My room was spotlessly clean, the air-conditioning was perfect, and the manager was incredibly helpful.

Like the previous reviewer, there were some renovations being done during my stay, but they didn't bother me. And they're not likely to go on for too long anyway.

This is a lovely large colonial house that has been done up. It's situated down a small lane, just off one of the key streets. Its location is superb.

There's a nice balcony to have your breakfast, and the place is awash in cooling marble.

I stayed here three and a half years ago, and it's just as good now as it was then.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 11 July 2012

When I checked in,it was everything that was promised. Friendly manager et al. But the next day I found that they were doing some construction work and the b*****d of a manager had given me a room that was right next to where the workers were working. So I had to suffer the nose of an electric saw right outside my room the whole afternoon. That was when I found that there were other rooms available and for some starnge reason the afore-mentioned manager m****rf****r had given me that specific room. Talk about friendly service. That guy deserves to be lynched. For 25 USD a night???!! absolute crap.Please don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank monsooner
Lani's H, Manager at Lani's House By The Ponds, responded to this review, 17 June 2016
Dear customer,

First things first, we would like to thank you for your review as we have been using our past clients' comments to improve our service.

We are sorry about the bad experience you had a few years back and apologise for that.

Lani's House (one of the first guesthouses in Laos) has been running for more than 30 years and needed serious renovation works until recently, indeed.

We are now taking the time to reply to customers who published "mixed" reviews to announce that we have taken their remarks into account and that the newly refurbished Lani's House by the Ponds is fully up and running with new bathrooms, beddings, paintings, furniture, private terraces and trained staff to meet our customers' legitimate expectations.

We hope that we will be given a chance in the future to make it up to those customers who felt that the House was not up to their standards, on their first visit.

With all our best wishes,

Lani's team.
Ipoh, Malaysia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Nice! Like living in your own bungalow from years past. Located in a quiet lane off a busy road but you can't hear the traffic. Facilities basic without TV but I really enjoyed the ambience of being in an old colonial bungalow with servants running around in your service. Staff casual but friendly. We brought our own drinks on the first floor verandah and the staff (Vilaysack) even went out to buy ice for us.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 to 4 are more expensive by US$5 but better rooms and adjoining a verandah. Cheaper rooms at...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Lani Guest House is in an old house just far enough off the main street to be very quiet, but very close to many sites and restaurants, and about 5 minutes from the river. We stayed there twice, both times in the main house, and both rooms were great. We did have trouble with both air conditioners, but when we complained someone came immediately and repaired them, even on New Year's. The rooms include a nice breakfast. The staff are very sweet and helpful.

Room Tip: We didn't see the ones in the back, but the ones in the main house (our extended family had thre...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I liked the location - in a small street close to the main street, quiet and peaceful but close to things in the city. The garden was lovely and the breakfast verandah overlooks it. We had a large twin room with very large bathroom. The man on reception had a relaxed style about him. Absence of TV was quite appealing too though we had only one night at Lani so TV might have been nice to catch up on the news if we had been there longer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends