“The Downstairs Looks Promising...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Dragon Lodge

Dragon Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vientiane
Dragon Lodge
Ranked #66 of 94 Hotels in Vientiane
Washington, DC
“The Downstairs Looks Promising...”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

But the rooms are pretty crummy and dark. Only if its the last room in town should you take number 305 (and presumably 205 and 405) as it has no windows and the A/C is weak.

The area downstairs looks like it could host a lively group of people, but during my 3 days stay I don't think I ever saw anyone down there. Maybe that changes which would certainly improve the place.

Room Tip: Do not take the ones without windows.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
UK
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The young hotel staff could not be any ruder. They were up till late at night shouting at their football video games in the lobby, which they were on every time I saw them, never once behind the reception. Kept us awake for hours. Appalling service at every turn, the guy that checked me in nearly had a fit when I demanded to pay for one night at a time. Should of left then and there. Room was the best we could find for the price, but the bathroom stank, the road noise was pretty bad, the AC was next to useless and I had to fix the TV. AVOID.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank cheese_monkeyy

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed here for two nights at the end of our 3 weeks in Laos and paid 100,000 Kip/night ($12 AUD).
The room had a big bed which wasn't too hard, although one of the pillows was pretty flimsy. The room was a bit dark but there were shutters you could open if you wanted to let some natural light in.
The bathroom was a bit dark and musty but it was OK with the fan on and there was hot water and good water pressure. The toilet didn't get wet when you had a shower either!
The TV was a bit dodgy but we played around with the aerial and got it to work.
There was air conditioning but the last day we were there it had rained and it was actually cooler outside than in the room! There was a door to the outside where there was a table and 2 chairs and fan which you could sit at - though I think this was more for smokers as there was no smoking in the rooms (which was great).
Wifi was available in the lobby area and it is on a major road but we didn't have any problems with noise. It is kind of away from the main 'falang' guesthouse area (which is mostly near the river) however it is still an easy walk to lots of different places for meals etc.
I found the service to be fine - we didn't really ask for anything - just dropping off/picking up room keys and when I sat in the lobby on the net for a couple of hours I got a cold beer no problems.
Overall, we thought it was reasonable for the price we paid.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Whatever you do, please don’t waste your time or money going to the Dragon Lodge. It is hands down the worst place I have ever stayed at. For starters $270 AUD went missing from my bag in my room while I was out at dinner. The hotel staff knew we were leaving at 4am the next morning as they had booked us a taxi for the airport, and they also knew that we were going out for dinner with our Lao friend from Vientiane as he spoke to them over the phone and told them the details of when he would be there and what the address was. Before we went to dinner, all of our money was securely in our room, in a folder with our passports and the doors locked and double checked. That night our doors were locked, everything appeared as it had been and there were no signs of break-in or infringement. The following day when we arrived to the airport and were due to board our plane we realised we didn’t have all our money! But by then it was too late. Even more connivingly, a small amount of lesser notes had been left, which made it look, at a glance, as though our money was there. Perhaps this small amount was left out of a feeling of guilt? But I think realistically it was a clever ploy on behalf of the person (or peoples) who took it to cover their trail long enough so that we were gone.

So we wrote to the manager of the Dragon lodge about the issue. He didn’t reply. So four days later we wrote again, saying that this was the second time we were having to write. He claimed he had never got the first email, which leads us to believe one of the staff may have deleted it, to remove suspicion. In both emails we told him of our troubles, and asked that he be alert that one or several of his staff may be stealing from customers. His reply was that he was not responsible for the loss of our possessions, which had been locked in his hotel room and zipped up in our bag while we were out for dinner. What sort of security is that? Please explain to me, lest I have missed something obvious, in what way a hotel manager is not responsible for the conduct of the staff he keeps?? If it was my business I would have made a direct inquiry and tried very hard to discover where the money was, or who might have taken it even against all odds. I would probably have considered security cameras for future proof too. It is very bad for business, particularly as a hotel, to have a thief, or thieves, working for you...

Please learn from my mistake and ALWAYS make sure you check in any money you aren’t carrying on your person to the hotel safe AND get a written receipt for the EXACT amount of money you put in. This way, if your money isn’t there at the end of your stay, you have proof in the form of a receipt and the hotel legally has no ability to shun responsibility, and are thereby legally required to repay you out of their pocket if your money is missing. Just don’t forget to make sure you get the money back at the end of your stay!

Even aside from this upsetting experience, and our unsympathetic and unprofessional response from management, we found the Dragon Lodge to be a terrible hotel. It was dingy (it had no window directly outside, only one to the hall and from there a window to outside) the bathroom was very cramped and smelly and the aircon rattled all night keeping us awake. What’s more the staff were not very friendly or accessible, and, as is the custom, English capacity was almost nonexistent. It is very expensive for what it provides. We paid $15 dollars a night for very basic accommodations. A Lao resident would pay $15 for a month in an abode of similar quality! But, to a degree, this is also just the nature of the tourism industry. I’m sure there is better value for money in Vientianne than Dragon Lodge!

There is a reason Dragon lodge is ranked 41 out of 54 for hotels in Vientianne on Tripadvisor!!! I wish I had checked trip advisor and known this before I had stayed there. I hope you enjoy your stay in Vientiane and find your accommodation to, if nothing else, be better than the terrible service, security and experience provided by Dragon Lodge.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Avoidtheft
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2010

we asked the manager to recommend some dining places and we said we could ride our bicycle around.

Instead, he took us there by his private van without saying anything. He didnt ask for money on the same night but the next day!

Absurd and absolutely a rip off!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Happiness78
Lampeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Also unsure as to why the previous reviews have been so poor - perhaps different expectations! We found the Dragon Lodge to be well placed for walking to the main eating areas of Vientiane and tuk-tuks stop right outside for trips further afield.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and always acknowledged us wandering in and out. They were also particularly helpful when we found our fan room a bit too hot and wished to change to air-con - we were able to do this immediately with no fuss and we were similarly allowed to extend our stay at short notice when our visas took longer than planned to appear!

The rooms are a little dark but the air-con ones are slightly bigger and brighter and the bathrooms were clean. TVs in room too. In all, the Dragon Lodge isn't that exciting but is well placed and caused us no trouble at all.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C
Where in the world...?!
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed at Dragon Lodge for 6 nights in July this year and it was a brilliant place to stay. Right in the centre of Vientiane, a good price (although we did get an out of season discount), good size clean rooms with ensuite and fan or air con options, and most mentionably the staff are absolutely amazing. They couldnt do enough to help, and the manager was always available for any advice you needed.
Being out of season, the big bar/cafe area within the guesthouse was very quiet and we didnt really see any other guests - but i can imaine that in high season it is a brilliant place to chill out and socialise.
I would definitely recommend staying here if you are looking for good value, central accomodation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple