“amazing value for money”
Review of Mixay Guesthouse

Mixay Guesthouse
Ranked #76 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Pune
“amazing value for money”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed in Mixay for 2 days in a single room with shared bathroom. For 9USD, its value for money. The shared bathroom had plenty of hot water and the breakfast was excellent. I will stay here again if I return to Vientiane in future,

Room Tip: the rooms are basic but very clean. The breakfast with plenty of fruit juice, cut fruits, eggs was m...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Vandana01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I would say Mixay Guesthouse staff more friendly than Mixay Paradise, Sound like Mixay Paradise not really like thai people staff unfriendly and reception the guy he should apply the word when he talk with guest should be nice but he doesn't nice to talk and all staff look at my friend and me like party-girl maybe because of us from thailand so that the reason why they look at us BAD !!....for the price both the same......

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank 234Maria
London
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Initially, did not have a good experience with this guesthouse as we arrived very early from Pakse and they were full but said that we could reserve a double room with fan and private bathroom and come back at 12. We weren't so keen on that without seeing the room first. So we arranged to come back at 11 and see a room then.
On returning at 11, we were told that there were no rooms available other than a double room with shared bathroom. The price with private bathroom was 12 dollars, with a shared bathroom 11 dollars, which seemed like not much difference for an ensuite. Anyway we took the shared bathroom double which turned out to be great.
The 2 shared bathrooms with toilet were spotless, good shower. The room itself was very clean, nice bedding. we had breakfast which was ok with toast, egg, bread and jam.
The lobby area is very nice and always has a few travellers using the wifi.
The location is great, right by the water area and the night markets and food stalls.
Would have given it 5 stars if it wasn't for the strange pricing scheme where for only 1 dollar more you can get a private bathroom (if it's available!)
Can organise tours/buses too at a reasonable price. Good English spoken.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DocMarkL
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I was worried about having just a "fan room", but Vientiane is not so hot like the other places on my trip, and it was perfect. For 5,000 kip extra you can have breakfast in the morning with fellow travelers. It's really not bad!! The room was very clean and cool (using the fan). I even noticed the bed seems to keep me cooler than most. My new guesthouse has a "warm" bed...not sure how that works, but I've noticed it.

I love the employees here, Toubee makes it a point to try and remember all the guest's names! How cool is that? Recommended.

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank IDreamedOfThis
washington
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I was looking for a dirt cheap, centrally-located guesthouse with A/C and relatively clean amenities, and Mixay Guesthouse fit the bill more or less. The A/C doesn't get turned on till 7pm and is turned off at about 8am the next day. I paid just $5 for a bed in a three-person shared room, which was quite spacious and had two windows. The walls were not the cleanest, but the room was clean otherwise. Each bed had its own fan and there was a free locker to put valuables in was (there's a key deposit, though). The common bathrooms were a bit grubby the first time I stayed there, but cleaner the second time around. The staff is not the friendliest or most helpful; they didn't appear enthusiastic about providing service to their guests. It's a very busy guesthouse with a lot of people coming in and out; they were often sold out by noon each day and had to send people to their newer sister guesthouse at the Mixay Paradise. Breakfast isn't free, but you can pay an extra 10,000 Dong to have it. They do offer various bus/train booking service, which include pickup from the guesthouse. Overall, it's a decent budget place to stay, if you don't mind the somewhat apathetic service.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank n0mind
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed in a single room with fan. OK, it had no window or TV, but at 290 bt you can't complain. The room was spotless and the bed and bedding were excellent. The bathroom was only a few steps from the door. The shower was lovely and hot. Breakfast was included in the price and was more than adequate fill to set you up for the day.

I would definately reccommend this place and will return here again on my next visa run.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank leninist
Eastbourne
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I followed the Lonely Planet (for the first time during my trip) to find accommdation which lead me to Mixay.

Firstly, the dorms were clean however costly and the shower had a timer on it which meant we had to be quick. The first thing I noticed about the hostel was the posters all over the walls and doors with DO NOT's written on it! Almost felt like saying to the staff "Is it OK to sneeze!?"

I was very disappointed to find there was a curfew of 2330! We were out until 2am one evening and thankfully there was a nightman although he did not request a room number for security reasons, just let me through the door.

On arrival I was given a ticket and requested to come back in a few hours to get into my room after presenting the ticket back to them, which I did and then threw away as nothing else was mentioned about the ticket. It wasn't until the morning when I went for breakfast (which is included in the price whether you like it or not) that they asked for the ticket! I told them that it was not mentioned that I would need this and they were very rude and insisted that if I would like breakfast, I would have to pay again - the FULL cost for a nights stay! With that I packed my bags and stormed out for a beauitful breakfast down the road at at least half the price of the hostel!

Clean rooms although felt very uncomfortable and the customer service and security was appalling - would not stay again!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank HoppersEastbourne

Travellers are raving about these Vientiane hotels