“first class.?” 3 of 5 bubbles

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“first class.?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

just taken a return trip from kuala lumpur to singapore. very much enjoyed the malaysian countryside and villages, also the people we met travelling this way. however we booked first class seating, which came with a free bottle of water and a piece of cake. the " first clas carriage"was dirty, the windows were dirty, seats poor, and smelly. the racks to put papers etc. were either broken or did not exist. maybe i would have shall we say taken this as "one of those things"except that when we got of the train and walked the length of the train to the station exit, we passed carriages with seating and decor that to us should have been first class. also orange drings coffee etc., were being unloaded. we had no idea these could be obtained on the train. the journey itself was realy enjoyable and i shall be useing malaysian trains again......biut certainly any further travel between kuala
umpur and singapore will not be booked in first class

Visited September 2013
1 Thank wessy

• Thai first
San Diego, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Long trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I used the railway to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur where I stayed one night. Then I used it again to travel to Penang Malaysia. the first leg from Singapore was OK. I bought a first class ticket online. I didn't print the ticket out at home but they were able to print it out for me at the trainstation before boarding. When leaving Singapore you have to go through Malysian customs before you're allowed to board the train. This process was simple and quick. There was about 80 people queued up when they opened the doors and we were all through the entire process in 20 minutes. The trains cars are a little tired. The first class car I was in was old and a bit dirty. It was probably 20-25 years old and was showing signs of its age and use. The seat was comfortable but my window was damaged and was fogged up the entire trip. Don't expect anything like internet or power outlets. Just sit back and look out the window or read. Between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur there was about 8 stops. We left on time but arrived 45 minutes late. In first class you are given a bottle of water and a great tasting piece of banana bread (it was really good). The trip was about 8 hours.

The second leg of my trip was not so good. Because I booked late I could not get a first class ticket. I had to settle for a second class ticket. I accidentally booked a seat that faced backwards (select a seat near the front to avoid this) and again my window was fogged up. The train left almost 45 minutes late and arrived about 1 hour late to Penang. The trip was about 6 hours. From that station you can take a cab to the island or the ferry. I recommend the fresh air of the ferry it's only 1.50 MYR and leaves often.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank cowsarered
Treorchy, United Kingdom
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“A Trip now done”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Always wanted to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur by train so in late May up at 5am for early taxi from hotel on Clarke Quay to Woodlands Checkpoint(a journey in itself). Then a wait of 2hours which passed quickly talking with the friendly locals who offered guidance and help.
On the train in Prestige Class the best of 4classes of ticket offered(remember to reserve your tickets beforehand), the seats are large and were once comfortable, the views well they were almost all the same, JUNGLE, apart from half a dozen stations. All in all whilst I'm glad I did it won't be doing it again.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank TomT77
Ipoh, Malaysia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Retracing Tiger Yamashita's trail...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Took the Malayan Tiger train between Wakaf Bahru and Johore Bahru. Nice old train which was donated by Japan. Ironic, or perhaps with a sense of history behind it, Keretapai Tanah Melayu, the Malaysian Railways authorities, put it on the WW2 invasion route.
Train is 30 years old but still was well appointed. Fare is very cheap at about US$60 per trip first class solo cabin.
They also have 2nd class bunk beds where a party of 4 can sleep in separate compartments by themselves. Wash basins etc were sufficient and clean. Staff very helpful and friendly.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank sychowlao
Singapore, Singapore
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Malayan Tiger - JB to Wakaf Bahru - Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones must be benchmarked here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Boarded the Tiger train at Johor. In the land of delays, the train itself started late. Was pleasantly surprised to see that each of the First Class passengers were allotted individual cabins with just 1 berth in it. The attendant later told us that there were 2 trains and the ones we saw on the internet was coming back from Wakaf to JB :). I did feel that the first class cabins were small. KTMB has ensured that the japanese gadgets continues to remain in the coaches but not working..I have traveled in trains in many parts of the world but the trains here are quite noisy & bumpy. The tracks are poorly maintained i guess. We were stuck in Gemas for nearly 6 hours due to an opposite trains bogie derailed. That was the time when almost all the passengers had a deep peaceful sleep i.e. when the train was not moving ! My plan was to take the jungle train the next day but given our train was delayed my journey from Gemas to Wakaf Bahru was in broad daylight..There was a japanese guy in our coach who wanted to take this journey as it costs almost USD 300 in Japan...The gemas station was brand new inaugurated about 2 days ago. Travelled during Ramadan time and hence not a single hawker in sight. The Attendants are quite helpful and understand the needs of passngers. A big french family were about to miss their last boat from Tanah Merah to the perhentian islands because of the train delay. Some scheduled train stops were skipped or stopped for barely few seconds so that they could reach Tanah Merah just in time for the last boat. The cabin is fully furnished. I was wondering how an oversized american or a tall Russian could fit inside this cabin :)

Visited August 2012