“See the countryside as you travel”
Review of Malayan Railways

Ranked #1,936 of 1,589 things to do in Malaysia
Adelaide
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“See the countryside as you travel”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

A few years ago, we took the train from Singapore through to Kuala Lumpur and enjoyed it a lot so this time we went from Butterworth (a ferry ride across from Penang) to Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia has spent a lot of time and money upgrading all their railway stations and tracks so it was very pleasant. However, their air conditioning system is VERY efficient so make sure you take a warm jacket or rug with you. The dining car offers basic fare and 3-in-1 coffee or tea but it is all served quickly and hot. Tickets can be easily pre-ordered on-line and presented on the day travelled.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank nera0414

• Thai first
Shelly Beach, Australia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“The Slow Way”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We travelled 1st Class with Malaysian Rail from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and then onto Butterworth. And found that if you have time this is an enjoyable and cheap way to travel.
The carriages while old were comfortable and relatively clean. We had 2 seat which reclined and had ample room to stretch out. Food was available on the trains and was relatively cheap and filling.
A suggestion is to take ample water and something to eat with you. (maybe just some food bars)
We arrived with booked tickets about an hour before in Singapore. Got through customs and border formalities quickly. Also trains may be delayed so allow for this.
No problem in KL with transport as taxis readily available. Maybe arrange a transfer in Butterworth if staying in Penang- but taxis available. About 3 quarters of an hour to hotel.
We had a great trip on Malaysian Rail.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank holidays2407
uk
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“first class.?”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

just taken a return trip from kuala lumpur to singapore. very much enjoyed the malaysian countryside and villages, also the people we met travelling this way. however we booked first class seating, which came with a free bottle of water and a piece of cake. the " first clas carriage"was dirty, the windows were dirty, seats poor, and smelly. the racks to put papers etc. were either broken or did not exist. maybe i would have shall we say taken this as "one of those things"except that when we got of the train and walked the length of the train to the station exit, we passed carriages with seating and decor that to us should have been first class. also orange drings coffee etc., were being unloaded. we had no idea these could be obtained on the train. the journey itself was realy enjoyable and i shall be useing malaysian trains again......biut certainly any further travel between kuala
umpur and singapore will not be booked in first class

Visited September 2013
1 Thank wessy
San Diego, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Long trip”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I used the railway to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur where I stayed one night. Then I used it again to travel to Penang Malaysia. the first leg from Singapore was OK. I bought a first class ticket online. I didn't print the ticket out at home but they were able to print it out for me at the trainstation before boarding. When leaving Singapore you have to go through Malysian customs before you're allowed to board the train. This process was simple and quick. There was about 80 people queued up when they opened the doors and we were all through the entire process in 20 minutes. The trains cars are a little tired. The first class car I was in was old and a bit dirty. It was probably 20-25 years old and was showing signs of its age and use. The seat was comfortable but my window was damaged and was fogged up the entire trip. Don't expect anything like internet or power outlets. Just sit back and look out the window or read. Between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur there was about 8 stops. We left on time but arrived 45 minutes late. In first class you are given a bottle of water and a great tasting piece of banana bread (it was really good). The trip was about 8 hours.

The second leg of my trip was not so good. Because I booked late I could not get a first class ticket. I had to settle for a second class ticket. I accidentally booked a seat that faced backwards (select a seat near the front to avoid this) and again my window was fogged up. The train left almost 45 minutes late and arrived about 1 hour late to Penang. The trip was about 6 hours. From that station you can take a cab to the island or the ferry. I recommend the fresh air of the ferry it's only 1.50 MYR and leaves often.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank cowsarered
Treorchy, United Kingdom
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“A Trip now done”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Always wanted to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur by train so in late May up at 5am for early taxi from hotel on Clarke Quay to Woodlands Checkpoint(a journey in itself). Then a wait of 2hours which passed quickly talking with the friendly locals who offered guidance and help.
On the train in Prestige Class the best of 4classes of ticket offered(remember to reserve your tickets beforehand), the seats are large and were once comfortable, the views well they were almost all the same, JUNGLE, apart from half a dozen stations. All in all whilst I'm glad I did it won't be doing it again.

Visited May 2013