“Enjoyed the stay”

Ranked #2 of 85 Ulaanbaatar B&B and Inns
Kathmandu
“Enjoyed the stay”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for two separate nights (before and after the Gobi trip). The first time we stayed in a room with an attached bathroom($45), which was very comfortable. On our return, due to some communication issues, we did not get the same room hence had to share bathroom($40). Rooms are nice though we preferred the first room. The owner speaks English, but the staff(s) do not. The breakfast is simple but good and is complimentary. I would definitely stay here again if I were to revisit the area!

Room Tip: Make sure you communicate with the owner directly if you need to make reservation for your return an...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saras A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The guesthouse/hostel is clean, the owner is very friendly and speaks excellent English. We stayed one night before our trek and 2 nights afterwards. Our first room was a shared bathroom, the second was en-suite. Unfortunately on all three nights, only 1 shower had hot water (something to do with the city turning off the hot water to that area of town?), which meant that everyone was using that shower, so not enough hot water to go around.

We got an excellent recommendation to a song and dance show from the owner, and he arranged airport transfer for us.

The other admin staff are friendly, but speak little or no English, so when the owner was absent it can be somewhat challenging and frustrating to communicate with them!

Shared kitchen makes for a very social environment - which is great.

From the outside the building does not look spectacular, and the sign stating that this is "Zaya Guesthouse" is tiny, and on the building (no signs before you actually find it). We spent quite some time trying to find it... As it turns out, it has recently relocated, and we had an old address - which didn't help! However, once you get into the guesthouse, it is well decorated, clean and comfortable.

Would recommend as a sociable hostel to stay in UB. Well located near Seoul Street for restaurants and bars.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kay187054
Bruxelles
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Definitely the best guest house in UB.. We were there in July, busy period, but super friendly staff, efficient, very quiet rooms, nice travelers (not too young) and incredibly clean !!!! We have tried Golden Gobi and Nassan GH also recommended by the Lonely Planet but for only 2/3 dollars more, Zaya is definitely the best !

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarionnetteBrux
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Right off UB's main street this modern and well equipped hostel is a good choice. We stayed in the apartment below for some total chill-out after 3 weeks on the move across Russia. Great choice, good wifi, basic breakfast included. Only gripes: apartment had dusty floors and charges for laundry steep (where's the self-serve washing machine facility?) Main hostel spacious and well fitted out.

Room Tip: For 4 persons choose the 2 bedroom apartment
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mijb
London
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Full declaration at the outset: I haven't stayed in this place. In spite of paying for one night. That's because I fled into the night within a minute and would in fact have gladly paid another twenty dollars for a get out clause if need be. Filthy is not the word to adequately describe the dark dingy and damp room I was shown into across a smelly corridor leading into the stench awaiting me in it. Likewise with the shared bathroom next door. The ultimate insult to injury being the request to remove my shoes, ostensibly for cleanliness. Make no mistake: this is no guesthouse, simply a couple of apartments knocked together in a squalid building leaving a lot to be desired in terms of aesthetic and surroundings. My jaw dropped when I saw it is rated highest among all UB establishments on this website, proof that sometimes, just sometimes, you can fool all of the people all of the time.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Aga2011London
Seattle
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed with Zaya for four nights interspersed between two day trips to Kharkhorin and Amarbayasgalant. Zaya was incredibly hospitable and allowed me to stay for single nights in between my adventures outside of the city. I stayed in the single room with its own bathroom, so I can't speak for the quality of the group bathrooms, but everything in my room was exceptional. Hot water was plentiful, which I especially appreciated after coming back from staying in yurt camps without hot water showers. The bed was a little hard, but such is to be expected when traveling in certain parts of the world.

I arrived from Seoul and was met at the airport by a friendly driver who made for an interesting conversation partner, as I spoke approximately three Mongolian phrases. He dropped me off at Zaya Guest House (#2, I hear #1 is not quite as nice as #2) and I was greeted by Zaya who taught me the ins and outs of exploring Ulaanbaatar. She was very friendly.

Overall, my experience was amazing. The guest house is within walking distance from Gandan Monastery, the State Dept. Store, Sukhanbaatar Square, the main museums, and Naran Tuul Market, if you're up for a 45 minute walk or so (bring a face mask! Pollution in UB is ubiquitous). Zaya discouraged me from going to Naran Tuul, but really there's nothing to worry about if you're used to traveling in developing nations where petty crime on tourists is commonplace.

I also never had a single problem with the wireless internet, as some of the reviews talk about having connectivity issues.

Go to Mongolia, and stay at Zaya's when in UB. Just be sure to expect to get what you pay for. This is by no means a four star hotel, but amazing quality and cleanliness for $30 per night for a private room with your own bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask to stay at Zaya Guest House #2, and get hired pickup from the airport, as the B&B is tucked...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Nicholas M
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My stay was in August of 2011. I was with an Earthwatch group, and we spent time at Zaya's at the beginning and end of our trip. It was a remarkably pleasant place, with a friendly, outgoing owner, a kind and helpful staff, as well as comfortable rooms. Nothing not to like about the place. I suspect very interesting people are always to be found there, amid an atmosphere that is conducive to conversation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business